Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina
 [Register]
Western North Carolina The Mountain Region including Asheville
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-28-2012, 07:36 AM

8 posts, read 22,763 times

Advertisements

Does anybody have any CSA's or farms, stores, etc they'd recommend?
also, we will be moving mid-January, does anyone know when memberships begin? perhaps March??

This is all very new to me but i'm very much interested in exploring this option for fresh organic fruits and vegetables as well as cage free eggs and grass fed beef, antibiotic free, natural chicken, etc.

Thanks so much!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-28-2012, 09:17 AM

54 posts, read 110,887 times
I would also be interested in hearing about recommended CSAs. I saw the listing but there are hundreds and it's hard to tell which would be better than others.

Thanks!

Old 12-28-2012, 09:22 AM

11,113 posts, read 19,547,135 times
If you search through this thread, Western NC, there have been some discussions and recommendations of what you are looking for specifically. Use the search link at the top of this page. I think most of the farms etc. will be north and east of Asheville. I don't know of any down here in Henderson County.

Old 12-28-2012, 10:09 AM

i searched CSAs but didn't really find any personal recommendations.
also, i'm wondering what the most bang for our buck would be...it is just my husband and I.

Is it cost-effective to do a half-share at a CSA or just stick to farmers markets and stores?

the resources I have so far are:
CSAs Provided by All Farms

and the mountain xpress article written a few years back:
Mountain Xpress: Let the CSA's begin | Mountain Xpress | Asheville, NC

Old 12-28-2012, 10:16 AM

12,799 posts, read 16,341,675 times
You might want to just buy at the farmer's mkts/stands, truck mkts first. I'm in Chapel Hill where we also have tons of CSAs and I have found that getting to know the farmers first and see what they grow is a good way to decide which CSA to join.

Old 12-29-2012, 12:42 AM

11 posts, read 30,404 times
Depends on where you will be living. A half share from morningside czarist in brevard would be great for a couple., if you live nearby to pick it up weekly. Visit a farm near where you will live and talk to the growers to get an idea of what they grow and how much.

Old 12-29-2012, 10:38 AM

sunnyb- thanks for the recommendation! we will be in River Ridge asheville, nc 28803.

Old 12-29-2012, 10:57 AM

29,939 posts, read 39,468,904 times
This is a new service getting ready to start-up in the Asheville area. Specifically the zip codes 28801, 28802, 28803, 28804, 28805, 28806, 28715, 28787, and 28704. If you're not living in one of those zip codes but work in one you can also have it delivered to work or if you're working with someone who lives in those zip codes you can set it up to have it delivered to them and just work out how to get your items from them.

Farm to Home Milk - Home Delivery of Farm Fresh Glass Bottle Milk, other dairy, and all natural and organic beef, pork, and poultry in Asheville North Carolina

Old 01-05-2013, 08:44 AM

165 posts, read 1,285,335 times
We signed up with mother earth produce last spring. They deliver to Asheville and as well as Brevard and Henderson Co. Not cheap, but good quality organic produce plus a few extras like eggs and breads. They delivered to our door once a week with either a standard box (their selections), or for a small surcharge, a custom box (you pick the products). What I liked was no commitment. If we were on vacation, we wouldn't place an order those weeks and start up again when we got home. They also have different size deliveries, you choose depending on the size of your household. The advertised "8 servings" in the box for 2 was an understatement, the two of us ended up sharing with my mom most weeks. When we had guests, I would order a larger box. Pay (online) as you go. Their website has details.

Old 01-09-2013, 05:43 PM

848 posts, read 1,120,582 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by drzrx View Post
i searched CSAs but didn't really find any personal recommendations.
also, i'm wondering what the most bang for our buck would be...it is just my husband and I.

Is it cost-effective to do a half-share at a CSA or just stick to farmers markets and stores?

the resources I have so far are:
CSAs Provided by All Farms

and the mountain xpress article written a few years back:
Mountain Xpress: Let the CSA's begin | Mountain Xpress | Asheville, NC
Great link... Thank you!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina