Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina
 [Register]
Western North Carolina The Mountain Region including Asheville
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-05-2009, 03:22 PM

8 posts, read 47,826 times

Advertisements

I live in Asheville, not downtown Asheville. People always seem to lump all of my town into downtown. That area and the one I live in are completely different. I live near Arden. That's like farms, cute little developments, houses on the mountains, wonderful small restaurants. Not everyone is a hippie. If most visitors would take time to notice that, they might not be so disappointed. If your looking for boutiques, music stores, normal clothing stores, I'd suggest going somewhere other than downtown. There, most of the population likes the stores they have. You can't just base the town on the downtown area. I could name tons of good stores and family owned restaurants that need a try for future travelers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-06-2009, 10:12 PM

1 posts, read 11,783 times
Default Move to Asheville

Hi Zesty Pepper!
I have been doing alot of research regarding moving to Asheville from Dallas. I would want to rent a small cottage/bungalow. It would be great to be able to walk to shopping, restaurants, etc., but my priority would be living in a safe area that I would feel comfortable walking alone. Do you have any suggestions as to which areas I should focus on? I'm not familiar with Arden...would this be a possibility? I appreciate your input!

Old 09-07-2009, 08:26 AM

45 posts, read 159,516 times
Smile Ahseville is big

leavingdallas-

Check with Tonsofrentals.com, The Largest Selection of Rental Homes Under One Roof! to find a a cabin,cottage or bungalow.

Also, as zestypepper mentioned, downtown is not all of Asheville.

The Swannanoa Gathering Homepage
Fairview NC 28730 - A community to call home
Black Mountain North Carolina: Black Mountain - Swannanoa Chamber of Commerce
Town of Weaverville, North Carolina - Home

I used to travel all over 5 counties outside of Asheville, NC. But I always enjoyed coming home.

Check with Buncombe County. Buncombe County Government

Asheville is the county seat.

Old 09-14-2009, 03:09 PM

To Leaving Dallas,
Downtown

Old 09-14-2009, 03:12 PM

I didnt finish, sorry. Downtown Asheville is the best place to be within walking distance of everything. But you have to know the city well to know which streets to look on for a safe location. It's spotty and always changing. If you don't mind a car, any of the surronding places would be good. If you want to move to the Asheville/Arden section, you might be in for sticker shock. I'm not quite sure what prices for homes are in Dallas, but you have to look to find good deals in safe areas.

Old 10-19-2009, 09:06 PM

4 posts, read 18,763 times
Default where to live

Try West Asheville or Montford area. Arden is not really a walking community more like a congested freeway! Biltmore Park on the outskirts of Arden is a new community that is built like an old town. You can walk to shops(Barnes and Noble), movie theater, and a few places to eat. Really a neat design. Good Luck!

Old 10-22-2009, 12:00 PM

366 posts, read 1,016,542 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zestypepper View Post
I live in Asheville, not downtown Asheville. People always seem to lump all of my town into downtown. That area and the one I live in are completely different. I live near Arden. That's like farms, cute little developments, houses on the mountains, wonderful small restaurants. Not everyone is a hippie. If most visitors would take time to notice that, they might not be so disappointed. If your looking for boutiques, music stores, normal clothing stores, I'd suggest going somewhere other than downtown. There, most of the population likes the stores they have. You can't just base the town on the downtown area. I could name tons of good stores and family owned restaurants that need a try for future travelers.
I agree with you for the most part but living in walking distance of downtown and a frequent patron of downtown businesses (Almost any time I eat out or go to a bar it's downtown) it's not all hippie types, nor is it even a majority of people that are hippie types downtown.

Old 10-22-2009, 12:43 PM

765 posts, read 2,567,405 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saffron74 View Post
Try West Asheville or Montford area. Arden is not really a walking community more like a congested freeway! Biltmore Park on the outskirts of Arden is a new community that is built like an old town. You can walk to shops(Barnes and Noble), movie theater, and a few places to eat. Really a neat design. Good Luck!
You can say that again. We had strongly considered buying in Arden for the last couple years and came very close to it--thank heavens someone else beat us tot he house. Last time we were three (last month) the traffic was horrendous on Hendersonville Road. It reminded us of Rockville Pike in Maryland and Rt50 in Fairfax County VA (just west of DC). We got out of there fast and started looking in other less congested areas.

As for downtown not being Asheville, DUHHH! It is basically the commercial and tourist hub. Yes there are some condos and apartments and for some people it is home, but it is not reperesentative of how most folks live in Asheville. That said, there are several distinc communities in Asheville--Montford, the UNCA area to Merrimon, Grove Park, Beaver Lake, West Asheville, all are distinct. And Arden is really a separate suburb of Asheville more like the urban sprawl communities around many urban areas. I think that is one of the draws of Asheville, you can find just about anything you want

Old 10-22-2009, 01:24 PM

2,668 posts, read 7,155,424 times
zestypepper wrote: I could name tons of good stores and family owned restaurants that need a try for future travelers.

We're listening...whatcha got?

Old 10-22-2009, 07:57 PM

758 posts, read 2,286,857 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zestypepper View Post
A house usually has multiple rooms we collectively call "home." For us, downtown Asheville is our alternate kitchen and dining room, rec room, and business center. Like most other people, we sleep outside in a "bedroom community," but our "home" includes downtown. It's especially important to us for its arts and architecture.

We're proud of our downtown! We think it's beautiful! We visited in the early 1990s, when much of it was boarded up, and have seen tremendous progress since then. It gets better all the time. Pack Square--have you seen it lately?--is a real gem!

Some of you keep talking about hippies and homeless, druggies and thugs. We don't doubt your word--but we have yet to see them in downtown Asheville except occasionally in Pritchard Park--and what we've seen there are the harmless sort. It's worth noting that Pritchard Park itself is a work in progress, still being cleaned up and beautified.

Last evening we were downtown from 6:45 to almost midnight. We paid $2.25(!) for parking in the Rankin St. garage, right next to the NC Stage Co.'s production of "The Beauty Queen of Leenane," which sold out for $6.00(!) a ticket ("or what you can pay"). The best part: We have not seen better acting or staging anywhere in our lives--not in San Diego, not even in London. The four-member cast deserved their loud standing ovation. All this in a 2002 building with excellent theatre seating for an audience of only a hundred!! Because we arrived early, we got to sit front row center next to nice, friendly people. It doesn't get any better than that.

Afterwards we felt safe walking to "The Vault" for a guinness and enjoyed the people there, including the bartenders, very much. Around midnight, we walked in peace back to the parking garage. Asheville's streets are well lit and well peopled, even mid-week. We are careful to be aware of our surroundings (hubby was in law enforcement). We saw no hippies, homeless, druggies, or thugs.

The malls supplement the many stores and shops downtown. It's all good.

Arden, Biltmore Village, Montford, etc. are great little bedroom communities with lots of good businesses in them as well, but they can't compete with the riches of downtown. I don't know about you, but we feel lucky to enjoy BIG-city amenities in a small, friendly, safe, and accessible downtown. We can't wait to enjoy Shindig on the Green at Pack Square next summer!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina