Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina
 [Register]
Western North Carolina The Mountain Region including Asheville
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-01-2013, 11:31 AM

4,901 posts, read 8,755,652 times

Advertisements

First I measured the distance on a map "as the crow flies" and it seemed that the Asheville area would be closer than where I am now (and definitely closer than NW Arkansas, where we've been thinking of retiring). Then I did the mileage on Rand McNally and western NC was about 200 miles further!

It seems that many people in western NC have homes in Florida also. Exactly how many hours does it take to drive from there to, say, Pensacola or Destin, or anywhere along the NW "panhandle"?

I've never been there, just looked around on the internet, but it appears that western NC is so beautiful, I don't know how you people stand it!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-01-2013, 12:19 PM

1,998 posts, read 4,609,176 times
This is an interesting topic -

My wife and I talk occasionally about retirement plans - we'd most likely move to the Asheville/Hendersonville area.

I've lived in various areas of the Mid-South (Memphis, Nashville, Birmingham) where most drive to the FL panhandle for beach vacations (especially Destin). It's amazing - most on the east coast know very little of Destin (and some have never heard of it!). As you know, the beaches of the FL Panhandle (the Emerald Coast) are SUPERIOR to anything on the east coast. Destin beaches have white, soft sand with emerald green water (as opposed to the gritty, brown sand and murky waters of the Atlantic).

We travel to Destin/30-A once a year (mainly in October). As I live just 75 minutes from downtown Asheville, my route may be quickest for you. We drive I-85 to Atlanta - drive thru downtown ATL - and then onto I-185 into Columbus, GA. From there, we take 431/231 to Dothan, AL (which is a relatively new 4 lane state highway) and onto the FL state line. Then, take the most direct route to Chipley, FL, take a right onto I-10 W, and next exit onto 331 (south) to the beaches east of Destin (30-A). Total drive for me is about 8 hours.

Last edited by drfranklin; 03-01-2013 at 01:38 PM..

Old 03-01-2013, 02:57 PM

4,790 posts, read 10,611,895 times
GOOG Maps is your friend:
Destin to A'ville is ~540 miles/8 hrs & change.

Fwiw, we do Waynesville,NC to Naples, FL, ~800 miles, in one 12-13 hr day.

Yes, western NC has many summer time FL rez...
GL, mD

Destin, FL to Asheville, NC - Google Maps

Old 03-01-2013, 04:05 PM

11,113 posts, read 19,544,173 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luvvarkansas View Post
First I measured the distance on a map "as the crow flies" and it seemed that the Asheville area would be closer than where I am now (and definitely closer than NW Arkansas, where we've been thinking of retiring). Then I did the mileage on Rand McNally and western NC was about 200 miles further!

It seems that many people in western NC have homes in Florida also. Exactly how many hours does it take to drive from there to, say, Pensacola or Destin, or anywhere along the NW "panhandle"?

I've never been there, just looked around on the internet, but it appears that western NC is so beautiful, I don't know how you people stand it!

Some of us get real giddy about our slice of heaven over here But why FL? when you can be at the coast of SC in about 4 hrs and not deal with any of that #$%^& Atlanta traffic stress. Discover the coast of SC from Myrtle Beach southward to places like Dewee's Island, Isle of Palms (omg gorgeous), down to Chaahhleston SC; or over to the Crystal Coast of NC (about 6 hrs from Hendersonville) to Wilmington, then over to, Oak Island, Outer Banks, Nags Head, Manteo .... and so on and so forth. Yes, many people have winter homes in FL, but many also return to the mountains full time for several reasons for their forever place.

Here you go: www.ourstate.com and/or www.carolinaliving.com

Give us a jingle when you get to the mountains, we'll leave the light on for you.

Old 03-01-2013, 05:09 PM

73 posts, read 277,116 times
Tequesta, Florida to Waynesville is 730 miles and 11 hours, plus or minus.

Old 03-07-2013, 09:25 AM

Thanks to all for the answers!

motordavid - I know Google maps is my friend (I've "driven" many a road on it), and I've checked the mileage, but I've found it to be not quite accurate as to timing (from checking routes that I drive all the time and know exactly how long they take). So I wanted to hear from people who actually drive it frequently.

drfranklin - thanks for your detailed answer....yes, I'm with you on the Emerald Coast! When I think of a beach, that's what I think of....sugar white sand, emerald green water. That's why I'm concerned about the trip from western NC to there....I thought it might be about the same as from here, but it looks like it may be a little longer. You say you live 75 min. from downtown Asheville....north, south, east, or west of Asheville? More specifically, what I'm wondering is if I should add or subtract that 75 minutes from the total time you quoted me.

QuilterChick - Why Florida? What drfranklin said.

Being born and raised in the deep South, I just don't think I could take the winter weather in western NC for very long. Here, we've had saucer magnolias, daffodils, and forsythias blooming for over a month now, and it's only the first week of March! Snow? I could stand one snowfall a winter, but that's it.

We were actually pretty set on NW Arkansas for retirement, until I stumbled upon a craigslist posting for a little place outside of Old Fort, NC. I got on google street view and started looking around, and discovered Black Mountain, and Hot Springs, and drove the Blue Ridge Parkway, etc., and I've discovered (well, I've been to Gatlinburg, TN in my youth, so I already knew it, but just forgot) that it's much prettier than NW Arkansas! Closer to the Emerald Coast, too! So I've been researching things. It may be that we may just have to travel there someday and just visit, but either way, I want to go there!

Thanks again for all your time.

Old 03-07-2013, 04:24 PM

358 posts, read 786,244 times
We do Asheville to Tampa in 91/2 hrs. Pensacola, about 71/2

Old 03-08-2013, 08:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tucler View Post
We do Asheville to Tampa in 91/2 hrs. Pensacola, about 71/2
Wow, that's not bad....I think it take around 8 to get there (Pensacola) from here (been so long since I've been). So, western NC is a possibility! Thanks!

Old 03-08-2013, 10:17 AM
pvs

1,845 posts, read 3,366,108 times
Just FWIW ... We've had daffodils here in Hendersonville for about a month already, too.

All the same, it HAS been pretty cold and windy, and if it were not for the need of a kitty-sitter, DW and I would've loved a beachy warm respite this winter, too, so I understand that desire.

Hopefully, by next winter (we're relatively recent retired transplants), we'll have found support for our kitty, and we'll be able to take a nice vacation.

Good luck to the OP. Hope you find the best place for your new home. We feel we did great, relocating here from NJ.

Old 03-14-2013, 02:32 PM

692 posts, read 1,707,074 times
8-24 hrs
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina