Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina
 [Register]
Western North Carolina The Mountain Region including Asheville
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-19-2007, 05:42 PM

12 posts, read 65,241 times

Advertisements

My husband and I would like to move to WNC and would appreciate opinions from people who know the area. We've driven through Murphy several times, but haven't ever stayed there. We have spent time in Andrews and didn't feel welcome. We did feel welcome in Franklin and Highlands, and everyone we met was very friendly. We've never been to Waynesville.

Is one of these areas (Murphy, Franklin, Waynesville) more welcoming and progressive than the others? From my online searches, it seems that Franklin/Highlands has the best recycling program and the most diversity in church options. Specifically, we'd prefer an area that might have a few of these: a restaurant with vegetarian choices, an organic CSA farm, green home builders, tai chi or aikido classes, or craft classes.

Is one of these areas growing faster than the others?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-22-2007, 11:35 PM
vq1

134 posts, read 682,825 times
Default Murphy, Franklin & Waynesville

Very familiar with Murphy. Doyles' Cedar Hill restaurant is the best in town and maybe the region. A lesser upscale restaurant is Shoebooty. Good for lunch or supper. The bakery down the street (Tennessee St) has very good baked goods for sale. Local farmer's market operates on Saturday morning in town. For shopping there, we always prefered Ingles Supermarket on US19/64. Many trout streams in the area, or go back over to Andrews for excellent fresh farm raised trout available in the downtown area.
Have many friends in Murphy and we would gladly live there, but be aware, we are rather simple.
Murphy has the mainline Protestant and Roman Catholic churches as options, do not know aout Judaism.
The hills in Cherokee County around Murphy have a large 2nd home market and many of these are from Florida. Was very actively growing as lately as last year when we left. Imagine it has slowed down with the current FLorida market.

Franklin is a larger town than Murphy, that like Murphy, has a large 2nd home market. Nice friendly downtown. Churches as above, but also a large Wicken community off of Wayah Road. Is that diverse enough for you?
Several farms sell their vegetables at retail throughout the year.

DO not remember the restaurants, but we are sure that you would be able to find several of your liking in Franklin. Of course, you can go up the hill to Highlands and have your choice of fine dining.

Waynesville has an excellent rejuvenated Main Street area with various shops, restaurants and at least one excellent bakery.

We have enjoyed all of these towns, and many more that are around them, such as Sylva, Dillsboro, Marshall, Hot Springs, and Mars Hill.

If you have any other questions, please ask!

Old 10-24-2007, 11:13 AM

8 posts, read 28,291 times
What is the economy like in Franklin? The town looks just precious, but I'm concerned about being able to support myself and my son should we move there.

Also, the Wiccan community notwithstanding, how are odd-balls generally received? ::grins ruefully::

Old 10-26-2007, 01:36 PM

12 posts, read 65,241 times
Default thanks

vg1, thanks for your response. The info you mentioned has helped in trying to narrow it down. We are planning to come over and visit soon. I am now thinking Murphy is too remote, but maybe we can move there when we retire.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina