Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina
 [Register]
Western North Carolina The Mountain Region including Asheville
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-19-2013, 05:36 PM

2,410 posts, read 5,818,815 times

Advertisements

I'm thinking of driving down to Asheville this spring and wondered what might be the least mountainous route from Toledo, OH. Across OH is pretty flat, and KY is rolling. But at the end of the trip, I have to cross the mountains, and would like to avoid "scenic" winding and steep roads. What is the best route across the mountains (lowest mountains and widest roads) on the last leg of the trip (route 40 vs 26, or another route)?
Quick reply to this message

Old 03-19-2013, 06:06 PM

11,113 posts, read 19,535,926 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xz2y View Post
I'm thinking of driving down to Asheville this spring and wondered what might be the least mountainous route from Toledo, OH. Across OH is pretty flat, and KY is rolling. But at the end of the trip, I have to cross the mountains, and would like to avoid "scenic" winding and steep roads. What is the best route across the mountains (lowest mountains and widest roads) on the last leg of the trip (route 40 vs 26, or another route)?

That would be a very scenic and pretty drive. But if you want to avoid the scenic winding and/or steep roads ...... fly.

Seriously.

Old 03-19-2013, 06:54 PM

4,788 posts, read 10,606,584 times
I do both routes several times a year, usually going fast/under the radar, lol!

Both routes have some curves, and elevation changes, but if you want the lesser, I would rec'd I-26 down from Johnson City, TN, off I-81. However, getting to I-26 from I-81/I-40 is going to send you ~60 miles out of the usual way...

The only sections of 'mountain road' climb/descent on I-26 is for a few miles near the TN/NC border and then some decline into NC.
Very nice rest stop a couple miles into NC, on I-26, by the bye.

I-26 is wider, less severe, newer, few trucks compared to the 'gorge section' of I-40, etc.

But, that I-26 angle is another hour and a half driving/60 miles+. My other admonition is that a stretch of the I-26 route, near the TN/NC border, can have semi-winter like weather while Asheville has rain, until solid Spring is here.

There are really no other routes from T to A'ville.

I guess you avoid driving the Rockies, lol!
GL, mD

GOOG Map with the I-26 version of Johnson City to A'ville, vs I-40 from Knoxville to A'ville.
Toledo, OH to Asheville, NC - Google Maps

Old 03-19-2013, 08:20 PM

2,410 posts, read 5,818,815 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by motordavid View Post
I do both routes several times a year, usually going fast/under the radar, lol!

Both routes have some curves, and elevation changes, but if you want the lesser, I would rec'd I-26 down from Johnson City, TN, off I-81. However, getting to I-26 from I-81/I-40 is going to send you ~60 miles out of the usual way...

The only sections of 'mountain road' climb/descent on I-26 is for a few miles near the TN/NC border and then some decline into NC.
Very nice rest stop a couple miles into NC, on I-26, by the bye.

I-26 is wider, less severe, newer, few trucks compared to the 'gorge section' of I-40, etc.

But, that I-26 angle is another hour and a half driving/60 miles+. My other admonition is that a stretch of the I-26 route, near the TN/NC border, can have semi-winter like weather while Asheville has rain, until solid Spring is here.

There are really no other routes from T to A'ville.

I guess you avoid driving the Rockies, lol!
GL, mD

GOOG Map with the I-26 version of Johnson City to A'ville, vs I-40 from Knoxville to A'ville.
Toledo, OH to Asheville, NC - Google Maps
Thanks for the advice. I appreciate it. And no, I don't do the Rockies by car.....but have flown over a few times!

Good to know about the weather issue as well on I-26. I doubt I would go down there before mid to late April. Maybe May. I don't mind the extra hour. No big deal. I would not be in a rush. Hopefully the wider roads on I-26 would also have guard rails.......looking over those steep drop offs is not for me, at least while I'm driving! Thanks for the Google map!

Old 03-19-2013, 08:47 PM

503 posts, read 926,619 times
I-26, definitely. Easy, beautiful ride. Effortless.
I-40, you take your life in your hands. Scary in comparison.

I have driven I-26 over the mountains when it was snowing, and I'd rather do that than I-40 in the summer.

Old 03-20-2013, 07:57 AM

11,113 posts, read 19,535,926 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xz2y View Post
Thanks for the advice. I appreciate it. And no, I don't do the Rockies by car.....but have flown over a few times!

Good to know about the weather issue as well on I-26. I doubt I would go down there before mid to late April. Maybe May. I don't mind the extra hour. No big deal. I would not be in a rush. Hopefully the wider roads on I-26 would also have guard rails.......looking over those steep drop offs is not for me, at least while I'm driving! Thanks for the Google map!

Yes, there are guard rails continuously on the interstates; just try to take in the scenery ahead of you and not even think about what is to the left or right. As MotorDavid said, there are some beautiful overlooks on that route you can pull off and park, take a brief rest and wind down before continuing on. As you come south over the TN/NC border, you may want to watch for the North Carolina Welcome Center (on your right of course), there will be ample notice on the signs ... stop there and take in the breathtaking views from a rocking chair on the porches there and pick up some brochures and reading materials. If you are staying in Asheville, make sure you stay in your right hand lane in order to get off on Rt. 240 (there are two "240" exits) close to each other. One takes you right into downtown, and the other takes you around downtown. Traffic starts getting pretty busy right there. If you are continuing down to Hendersonville etc., just stay left on I-26 and watch the signs.

It is not the interstates you will find daunting if you are timid about driving in the mountains; you should be more aware of the secondary roads where there can be dropoffs and some have deep ditches running along the roadsides to bring water downhill. It's just something you get to know after being here awhile, and just take it slow until you get used to the varying elevations.

Are you relocating to the area? or just visiting? We hope you have a safe pleasant trip coming down here; and that your experience going back to Ohio is likewise. Have fun while you're here ! Lots of neat things to do and see.

Old 03-20-2013, 10:17 AM

1,603 posts, read 3,249,260 times
Gotta agree stay off 40 along the TN border. That area is referred to as the "Gorge" and it's terrifying ..

Old 03-20-2013, 05:31 PM
RVT

367 posts, read 771,663 times
Oh c'mon, the gorge isn't "terrifying" . The 1-26 route is less winding, but has a greater amount of elevation change.

Old 03-20-2013, 06:12 PM

503 posts, read 926,619 times
Not to mention three lanes on I-26 vs. two on I-40. Plus no tunnels, plus no threading a narrow, curvy lane between a 5' concrete barrier to your left and a semi on your right doing 60-70 mph with some idiot 5' off your rear bumper. That's another thing - a lot less traffic on I-26.

Old 03-20-2013, 06:30 PM

4,788 posts, read 10,606,584 times
I suspect most of these 'road shots' would not be high on the OP's list of TTD...
Most of them taken from the car, at considerable speed, on a cross country trip.
Thanks for looking!
GL, mD

Road Trip Road Pics & Car Shots... - a set on Flickr
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina