Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina
 [Register]
Western North Carolina The Mountain Region including Asheville
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-30-2013, 01:37 PM

1,615 posts, read 2,146,672 times

Advertisements

How close to the Smoky Mountains can you get high speed Internet? I am looking for good upload speed as well as download speeds. I don't think FiOS will be available, but how far out can you get cable or even a point to point based Internet? For my needs dish and other satellite based systems have too little upload.

Any unlimited 3GL available?

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-30-2013, 03:36 PM

4,793 posts, read 10,624,289 times
Very large geography you are inquiring about...
The availability can vary considerably as one moves out of/away from 'metro' areas.

For example, our lil' town of Waynesville has Charter Cable in most of the town and slightly up some of the surrounding mtn slopes. But where we are at higher elevation, we have sat only for TV and a local wireless deal for internet. No cable up here. Our wireless is ~5-7 Mbps down and a couple up...

Your 'answer' will depend entirely on where you are "close to the Smoky Mountains", as the several western NC counties that contain/border the Smokys have various connections, again depending on 'where' in these mtn border towns and areas.

Fwiw, we get some 3G in some areas on our Droid smart phone.

More specifics on your potential location will help...
GL, mD

Old 06-30-2013, 04:20 PM

Thanks for the reply, a couple of mbs up is fine. What kind of Internet do you have and are there any limits on it? I realize anything that requires line of sight will be dependent on where you are located. Right now, I am interested to find out where I could get high speed Internet. And what providers serve the different areas.

This is a starting point for finding areas we could and couldn't be in. I work from home over the Internet so high speed Internet is a limitation on where we could go. Thanks again for the reply.

Old 07-01-2013, 07:32 PM

4,793 posts, read 10,624,289 times
Fredesch,
Apology for the tardy reply; I forgot you were looking for a response...
We have internet through the following:
High Speed Internet Access | Asheville | Waynesville | Mars Hill | Weaverville

They bounce signals around the mtns; yes, requires line of sight, but they will do a free eval and won't bs you. It ain't cheap, esp for the fast(est) push. It is not bulletproof, but runs well and consistently 98% of the time, and any outage is quickly addressed, as techies own the joint.

Just ran a speed test and currently 5.26 down/2.33 up, which is about what I average, though current other 'tests' show ~5/4. Spoiled by Comcrap cable at our winter hideout, but this is my only option up here, besides ~3G on a smart phone or air card.

Fwiw, I am in Waynesville, at ~5,000 ft. The 'burbs down below in town(s) have Charter, et al, as in real cable.
GL, mD

Last edited by motordavid; 07-01-2013 at 08:03 PM..

Old 07-02-2013, 02:52 PM

Thanks again for the reply. Wireless looks like a great option.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina