Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina
 [Register]
Western North Carolina The Mountain Region including Asheville
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-16-2006, 07:57 PM

5 posts, read 20,611 times

Advertisements

Thinking of relocating to Ashville area in a couple of years. Would like infor about the city, jobs and houses. Where's a good place on the outskirts of the city to start looking? Thanks Deb
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-16-2006, 08:29 PM

518 posts, read 2,226,591 times
From one South Floridian to another ... there are many nice communities within a 30-minute drive of Asheville. Arden, Fletcher, Hendersonville, Weaverville, Black Mountain and Waynesville (where we own land) come to mind. Property is less expensive in Canton and Clyde, but there's also a paper-mill stench to deal with.

The job market is more problematic. Based on what I've heard and read, it's not easy to find anything in the Asheville area unless you're in the tourism/hospitality industry. You'd really be gambling if you move to the area without something already lined up.

Old 10-16-2006, 09:52 PM

1,049 posts, read 4,008,208 times
I grew up in Black mountain and Asheville area, I own land in Weaverville. Any of the places named in the above posting would be good places. As to employment, not a high paying area, with a moderately high cost of living, so just take that into account. But the area is nice to live and beautiful. If costs are important, you many want to look at East TN.

Tony

Old 10-17-2006, 07:11 AM

958 posts, read 2,621,907 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chisoxfan View Post
From one South Floridian to another ... there are many nice communities within a 30-minute drive of Asheville. Arden, Fletcher, Hendersonville, Weaverville, Black Mountain and Waynesville (where we own land) come to mind. Property is less expensive in Canton and Clyde, but there's also a paper-mill stench to deal with.

The job market is more problematic. Based on what I've heard and read, it's not easy to find anything in the Asheville area unless you're in the tourism/hospitality industry. You'd really be gambling if you move to the area without something already lined up.

This is correct. Speaking as someone who's lived here for over four years now, this is not the place to decide to move without having a job lined up first. If I were to lose my job (software industry) I would definitely have to move out of town. Other white collar jobs are just as problematic. Not much industry around town any more either. Tourism/hospitality/medical you would probably be OK. On top of that salaries are lower than in other metropolitan areas around the state. You basically get a lower salary for the opportunity to live in the mountains. Same thing goes for the beach, I went through the same salary problem in Wilmington.

Old 10-17-2006, 07:39 AM

1,398 posts, read 6,606,973 times
How about jobs for teachers? It's not all retirees and New Agers there, yes?

Old 10-17-2006, 07:40 AM

1,417 posts, read 6,908,723 times
The city of Asheville itself is a bit expensive, but the outlying counties are pretty affordable, yet still convenient to Asheville. So looking at Henderson, Haywood, and Madison Counties would be a good idea. Yes, there are some of the people of a more liberal mindset there, but there are those of a conservative mindset as well; a nice mix who seem to get along. Not sure about teacher openings around Asheville , but in general around the state, they can't get teachers fast enough. Just go on the different system's websites and see what you find. Asheville's a great area to live, but the above comments on jobs/economy are on target. But if you're going there with a job in place, can work from home, or are retired, it'd be a great choice and I'd highly recommend it. Good luck!!!

Old 10-18-2006, 08:20 PM

5 posts, read 20,611 times
Thanks for the feedback. Does anyone have any info about working for the State in social services. I am a social worker with a background of Child Abuse Investigations and Case Management with Law Enforcement? Any ideas, thoughts, suggestions are welcome!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina