Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina
 [Register]
Western North Carolina The Mountain Region including Asheville
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-18-2007, 01:24 PM

2,209 posts, read 7,656,129 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lorriem View Post
AT&T didn't or couldn't give you reliable and fast connection?

At & T would be providing DSL not cable. While DSL is certainly better than dial up connections , it's not as fast as cable nor have we seen anything from at&t worthy enough to justify our relying on them for a connection that provides our financial lifestyle.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-18-2007, 01:29 PM

2,209 posts, read 7,656,129 times
Quote:
We just might try it that way.We have brighthouse cable in FL and I love it never a problem not even three years ago with all those hurricanes. In all the states we lived in brighthouse is the best. I just think we might go with Charter for cable and the rest At&t.
My suggestion would be to make any contract contingent on a high speed internet connection being installed at your cost and functioning to your satisfaction whatever that satisfaction may be.

Our requirements maybe a little higher than some. We own a business overseas and have high speed connections there that put almost everything we've seen here to shame with the exception of comcast ( what we have in Fla ). Even there while it's slower than the connections we have overseas, it's fine here. But again ,we've had real "experiences" elsewhere.

We do quite a bit on ebay for example. I would bet at least a 50% loss of business if we had to settle for dsl or dish connections. Maybe more.

Old 11-18-2007, 02:06 PM

2,766 posts, read 5,521,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrTudo View Post
At & T would be providing DSL not cable. While DSL is certainly better than dial up connections , it's not as fast as cable nor have we seen anything from at&t worthy enough to justify our relying on them for a connection that provides our financial lifestyle.
Well it is going to have to be OK for us. If hubby has any problems he will be going every two-three weeks to largo FL and can work it out there. Our realtor has vonage for her phone system but have too find out what internet sevice she has. Hubby is going to use his skype phone with our internet service. I hope with whatever service we use works at a higher speed then charter.

Old 11-18-2007, 02:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrTudo View Post
My suggestion would be to make any contract contingent on a high speed internet connection being installed at your cost and functioning to your satisfaction whatever that satisfaction may be.

Our requirements maybe a little higher than some. We own a business overseas and have high speed connections there that put almost everything we've seen here to shame with the exception of comcast ( what we have in Fla ). Even there while it's slower than the connections we have overseas, it's fine here. But again ,we've had real "experiences" elsewhere.

We do quite a bit on ebay for example. I would bet at least a 50% loss of business if we had to settle for dsl or dish connections. Maybe more.
I will use your advice on that one. Thanks

Old 11-18-2007, 02:16 PM

Even though we will be closing on Nov 30th we will not be moving up there until Feb and hubby wants everything installed by the 30th. We have our cell phones but he wants the landline and cable also installed since we will be going up two to three weekends a month getting blinds a fridge and fencing and all that is needed for a new home. I say we can do without TV for awhile but he doesn't think so.So the rush is on. Thats why all the questions. Plus we want to get the dogs use to making the car trip. We have been putting them in a kennel when we had been up there but the 30th will be the last time.From then on they will be coming with us.

Old 11-18-2007, 09:01 PM

33 posts, read 89,042 times
MrTudo; just wanted to also thank you. I was/am planning on moving to the Asheville area in 2008 and one of my big concerns was the availability of reliable, high speed internet. For the majority of people dsl or satelite is fast enough for their needs so they can't quite understand the need for cable connection speeds or better; your replies here definitely help me.

I make the majority of my living trading in the stock and forex markets so it is possible to modify my trading style to be more accomodating to slower speeds and this one item won't preclude me from still moving back; but now I know to add one more contigency to any contracts and may also decide to divide my time between the Asheville area & somewhere w/ the fast connections I need/want.

Old 11-18-2007, 09:14 PM

5,660 posts, read 27,002,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NeoLvr View Post
MrTudo; just wanted to also thank you. I was/am planning on moving to the Asheville area in 2008 and one of my big concerns was the availability of reliable, high speed internet. For the majority of people dsl or satelite is fast enough for their needs so they can't quite understand the need for cable connection speeds or better; your replies here definitely help me.

I make the majority of my living trading in the stock and forex markets so it is possible to modify my trading style to be more accomodating to slower speeds and this one item won't preclude me from still moving back; but now I know to add one more contigency to any contracts and may also decide to divide my time between the Asheville area & somewhere w/ the fast connections I need/want.
Buncombe County is Charter Communications and Henderson County is Mediacom. Not sure about the rest of the Asheville Metro Area, Haywood and Madison Counties. I normally get download speeds of 7+ Mbps on speakeasy.net, but a reduction in system outages could be improved.

Old 11-18-2007, 11:39 PM

17 posts, read 58,434 times
Quote:
We just might try it that way.We have brighthouse cable in FL and I love it never a problem not even three years ago with all those hurricanes. In all the states we lived in brighthouse is the best. I just think we might go with Charter for cable and the rest At&t.
If you are a big TV user, you will want to go DirecTv. I had DirecTV High Definition, Starz, HBO, Cinemax, the whole premium shabang. I am now renting a house and Charter is "free" (my landlady pays). There is absolutely no comparison between Charter and DirecTV in programming or quality of service. I have 15 high def channels and 4 of those I could get with a $15 antenna (NBC, CBS, ABC and PBS) for free. On DirecTV, besides 200 channels of standard definition, I got 60 High Definition channels and this is going to 100 HD channels next month.

If you are only getting the basic plan from Charter, then that is probably the best way to go. If you want premium TV service go with DirecTV.

If your plan is month to month, then take the easy course and then move to better options.

Old 11-19-2007, 09:04 AM

A.FreeRadical Thankyou.
I am not a big TV user. During the day FNC I keep on and at night hubby and I watch either cbs or nbc. If I want a good movie we will rent it.I was more concerned with the internet. For both hubby and his business phone and then mine.We here in Fl connect all three of our computers to the router and then we have wireless. I hope we can do the same in NC.

Old 11-19-2007, 09:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mm34b View Post
The subdivision rules may be in violation of Federal law, (Telecommunications Act of 1996) concerning the use of over-the-air reception devices, (OTAD). They wouldn't be the first.

FCC Fact Sheet on Placement of Antennas
Our realtor yesterday went through our neighborhood and she saw dishes everywhere so I quess that rule is not enforced.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina