Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina
 [Register]
Western North Carolina The Mountain Region including Asheville
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-22-2013, 05:59 AM

22,974 posts, read 65,527,721 times

Advertisements

The Boone Town Council approved water allocation for Coral Gables, Fla.-based Cornerstone Campus Communities' proposed apartment and retail project on the site of the former Shadowline plant. An earlier request was denied due to concerns about the size of the project and the number of student-oriented units, but was approved last week when the company presented a new site plan for the project.

read more here
Florida developer's mixed-use project plan for Boone moves forward
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-22-2013, 08:12 AM

2,657 posts, read 8,033,385 times
I suppose it's a sign of the economy rebound if the out-of-town developers are revving up again. But the additional traffic? Oy. Boone is already a snarl to get through if one is heading toward the NW part of the state. I don't want to lose more mountain scenery, but that town is in dire need of a non-driveway connecting bypass.

Off-topic nitpick: "about have of the units?" Was the proof reader out to lunch when that article was submitted?

Old 10-22-2013, 10:31 AM

4,218 posts, read 8,532,029 times
Even though infill can be good, and it's great to see re-use of a long-closed industrial property that will never be used for manufacturing again, this development is proposed for an already highly congested area. I wonder how many future residents will walk across the street to Shoppes at Shadowline or how many will drive every time they need something at Rite-Aid or Harris Teeter??

I guess I'll continue to avoid Boone as much as possible.

Old 10-22-2013, 10:35 AM

1,051 posts, read 2,298,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silverwing View Post
Off-topic nitpick: "about have of the units?" Was the proof reader out to lunch when that article was submitted?
The Democrat isn't exactly a bastion of high-quality journalism.

Old 10-22-2013, 03:36 PM

2,103 posts, read 4,472,221 times
I can't help but think this is just another Florida developer taking advantage of the land and making a development only for those with money. Sigh. It would be nice to see someone come in and actually want to improve life (maybe an Eco friendly development or something) instead of destroy it.

Old 10-23-2013, 01:30 AM

606 posts, read 1,979,002 times
Maybe put in some affordable housing for the residents instead of high priced dorms for the students!

Old 10-23-2013, 11:56 AM

35,879 posts, read 77,506,170 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hymnsinger View Post
Maybe put in some affordable housing for the residents instead of high priced dorms for the students!
I understand why you would say that, but it seems to me that the students are often why there is no available housing for others . . . students are in apartments/houses/condos all the way to Beech Mountain, Trade, TN, Deep Gap . . .

Now, if you mean subsidized housing when you say "affordable" - i.e, section 8, elderly, disabled, etc. . . . that is a real dilemma for Watauga county. The price of land is so high.

I do wonder how many folks who work in Boone are going to be interested in an upscale apartment complex at that location - especially if sharing it with students.

Old 10-23-2013, 11:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadpony View Post
Even though infill can be good, and it's great to see re-use of a long-closed industrial property that will never be used for manufacturing again, this development is proposed for an already highly congested area. I wonder how many future residents will walk across the street to Shoppes at Shadowline or how many will drive every time they need something at Rite-Aid or Harris Teeter??

I guess I'll continue to avoid Boone as much as possible.
I couldn't believe the congestion yesterday between the hospital and shadowline - not to mention 321. That really surprised me (why were things so busy at 10 am on a Tuesday on those streets???)

I can only imagine how some more high density property will affect things in that area.

Old 10-23-2013, 03:40 PM

2,657 posts, read 8,033,385 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
I couldn't believe the congestion yesterday between the hospital and shadowline - not to mention 321. That really surprised me (why were things so busy at 10 am on a Tuesday on those streets???)

I can only imagine how some more high density property will affect things in that area.
Fall tourists who think "I know! I'll go to the mountains during the week! No one will be up there!"

Last time I was in Boone in October was 2010. I was just trying to take the usual '421 up to Mountain City, Damascus, Abingdon and then west' route I always use when going to visit family in the Midwest. I never take I-40 unless Spouse is along and insists. Then he drives. Took me a freaking hour to get from the 221/421 crossroads (just past the BRP) through Boone and past where 321 comes in on the other side of town. And that was on a Thursday. My one word opinion on the situation: "sh*t!"

If I ever do a trip at that time of the year again, I'm going to find a different route or make sure I'm in Boone at dawn.

Last edited by silverwing; 10-23-2013 at 03:50 PM..

Old 10-24-2013, 12:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverwing View Post
Fall tourists who think "I know! I'll go to the mountains during the week! No one will be up there!"

Last time I was in Boone in October was 2010. I was just trying to take the usual '421 up to Mountain City, Damascus, Abingdon and then west' route I always use when going to visit family in the Midwest. I never take I-40 unless Spouse is along and insists. Then he drives. Took me a freaking hour to get from the 221/421 crossroads (just past the BRP) through Boone and past where 321 comes in on the other side of town. And that was on a Thursday. My one word opinion on the situation: "sh*t!"

If I ever do a trip at that time of the year again, I'm going to find a different route or make sure I'm in Boone at dawn.
Hee Hee.

I feel your pain!

I try to stay close to home during the leaf peepin' season for the very reasons you outlined! It gets crazy . . .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina