Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina
 [Register]
Western North Carolina The Mountain Region including Asheville
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-29-2013, 05:20 PM

3,767 posts, read 4,530,058 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadpony View Post
Asheville is not the only destination for being in the mountains. As QChick correctly stated, W-S is 1 hr 25 min from Boone, shorter if you live on the western side in Lewisville. It's an even shorter drive to Fancy Gap, VA (on the BRP) up US 52 through Mt. Airy.

We lived in W-S for 10 years after having lived fulltime in Boone and made it back up to the mtns LOTS of weekends.

As for Greenville, SC, if jobs do not permit the OP to live IN the mtns, Greenville is a quite suitable alternative. We were just there for 4 1/2 yrs till hubby retired. I know from her posts that saucystargazer doesn't like Greenville (it wasn't my own personal first choice either for very different reasons), but it's a short drive (less than an hour) to reach elevation and great outdoor rec opportunities such as Cesar's Head (SC), Table Rock (SC), Dupont Forest (NC) and many others.
I didn't state or mean to imply that Asheville was the only destination for being in the mountains. I was simply giving the OP and idea of distance from Winston to a larger city in his desired area. I think Boone is lovely and would actually prefer it to Asheville. But I would think Asheville would have more to offer in terms of employment.

And yes of course you can make it back up to the mountains for lots of weekends. But there is a huge difference in driving to the mountains on weekends and living in them IMO.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-29-2013, 06:45 PM

16 posts, read 22,711 times
We would love to be close to Boone, but realistically we probably need to focus on Asheville for employment. We're also looking into areas surrounding Asheville (like Hendersonville). Our biggest hurdle is just getting employers to consider my DH, as we are coming from out of state (FL), and employers tend to put you aside if not local. We've tried to make this move in the past without any success even getting call backs on jobs. Hoping and praying for different results this time around. Hoping to find a local IT recruiter to help in the process.

Old 12-30-2013, 06:31 AM

11,113 posts, read 19,544,173 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mpatrick View Post
We would love to be close to Boone, but realistically we probably need to focus on Asheville for employment. We're also looking into areas surrounding Asheville (like Hendersonville). Our biggest hurdle is just getting employers to consider my DH, as we are coming from out of state (FL), and employers tend to put you aside if not local. We've tried to make this move in the past without any success even getting call backs on jobs. Hoping and praying for different results this time around. Hoping to find a local IT recruiter to help in the process.

Why not consider Weaverville? easy commute to Asheville. You might like Black Mountain east of Asheville ... lovely small town and only 17 miles to downtown Asheville. Waynesville, easy commute to MedWest. Greenville SC (lower cost of living and higher salaries) as mentioned before, easy drive to visit the mountains. Lots of small towns within commuting distance to Asheville. Park Ridge Hospital in the Fletcher area, still in Henderson County, is growing and well regarded. You have options, Boone is more a tourist and college student environment, not to mention big difference in weather north of Asheville because of elevation. And yes, Hendersonville has much of what you are looking for in activities, plenty of shopping, great sense of community; and very well managed city and county government. Best wishes.

Old 12-30-2013, 09:48 AM

8,105 posts, read 6,752,854 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by QuilterChick View Post
Why not consider Weaverville? easy commute to Asheville. You might like Black Mountain east of Asheville ... lovely small town and only 17 miles to downtown Asheville. Waynesville, easy commute to MedWest. Greenville SC (lower cost of living and higher salaries) as mentioned before, easy drive to visit the mountains. Lots of small towns within commuting distance to Asheville. Park Ridge Hospital in the Fletcher area, still in Henderson County, is growing and well regarded. You have options, Boone is more a tourist and college student environment, not to mention big difference in weather north of Asheville because of elevation. And yes, Hendersonville has much of what you are looking for in activities, plenty of shopping, great sense of community; and very well managed city and county government. Best wishes.
Hi QuilterChick, what do you like about Black Mountain?

Old 12-30-2013, 10:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Above Average Bear View Post
Hi QuilterChick, what do you like about Black Mountain?

Because there is a great quilt shop there, and my favorite yarn shop right across the street.

I love BM, it has a nice community ole timey feel, a very cute walkable downtown (small), a good selection of nice restaurants and you are right up against the mountains and you are right in them. Behind the yarn shop is "My Father's Pizza" and that is a biggie when you need a pizza fix or anything else on their menu. For my tastes though, I only like to visit BM; it's like the last town east that I personally want to travel to east of Asheville.

Towns I visit more are west of Asheville because I am in Hendersonville. Weaverville, Waynesville, of course downtown Hendersonville, Brevard (a lot like BM), because there is more variety and easy highway access w/o going thru Asheville traffic especially in tourist season. Hendersonville is nicely situated halfway between Greenville SC and Asheville; and I'd rather travel on I-26 than I-40 to get around for shopping and other conveniences. I like to travel when possible, and can get to the Asheville airport without hassle in about 15 mins. (The Asheville airport is not in Asheville; it's on Rt. 280, on the border of Henderson County which is a big plus. There is a nice airport right near Greenville SC ( a 45 minute easy drive via the shortcut which we might share if you are nice to us) ... down the mountain to another nice regional airport, GSP.

Bottom line: it is all good, but it all depends on price range and amenities, and what you like to do. Hope this helps.

Old 12-30-2013, 10:53 AM

12,799 posts, read 16,338,660 times
I'd look at ASU in Boone if being at the university would work for your husband. Other than that I think Asheville would have more options, but nothing like the Triangle or Charlotte or the Triad.

Old 12-30-2013, 11:04 AM

423 posts, read 899,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mpatrick View Post
Hello,
My family has been wanting to move to the mountains for at least eight years. We've always loved Western NC and really want to make this move happen in the very near future. My husband is an IT director at a small local hospital. However, he also does networking, etc. We know it might be hard for him to find something near Boone, so we're also open to other areas, as long as the mountains are nearby. We've thought about living in Asheville and just trying to get a weekend place on a mountain. I guess we'll have to see where there are opportunities.

Can anyone recommend any technical recruiters or placement agencies in the area?

Thanks!!
Mpat
************************************************** ***********************************

This job is available at Bon Secours St Francis Health System in Greenville. I work there (but not in IS) and interact with all of the IT folks who are great to work with. They are also very good about promoting from within in the IS department. It's not Asheville, but could there are lots of employees who live in the foothills of the mountains around Travelers Rest, Landrum, and Blue Ridge. It's also easily commutable from Flat Rock/Hendersonville which takes about 45 minutes. During bad weather, a lot of IT folks work remotely from home. Good luck.

Please enter a valid email address.
SUPERVISOR TECHNICAL MIS JOB

Date: Dec 9, 2013
Description:
SUPERVISOR TECHNICAL MIS

Department: MIS
Requisition Number: 47376
Schedule: Full Time
Shift: Day
Hours: M-F 8-5
Holiday/Vacation Coverage: Yes
On Call: Yes
Exempt from Overtime: Yes

Job Details:

BSHSI

POSITION SUMMARY

The Technical Operations Supervisor acts as Desktop Support Analyst supervisor including overseeing day to day activities, schedules, evaluations and timesheets. Additional areas of function include project leader, overseeing procurement & disposal of equipment.

Job Requirements

1. Bachelor’s Degree in Information Systems or minimum 6 years experience in an information systems
environment
2. Must possess organization and analytical skills
3. Must have the ability to work well independently
4. Critical skills required to be successful include complex problem solving, demonstrated ability to lead projects,
interact with different levels of associates, and excellent communication skills
5. Must demonstrate the ability to work in a high pressure fast paced environment.
6. Prior experience managing a medium size team of inexperienced and experienced technical personnel
7. Demonstrated success managing high-visibility projects
8. Well versed in IT architecture including network devices and standard network architectures
9. Familiar with Microsoft Operating Systems & MS Office Suites
10. Required: Valid driver’s license,
11. Desired: ITIL

J2WIT

Nearest Major Market: Greenville
Nearest Secondary Market: South Carolina
Job Segment: Manager, Information Systems, Procurement, Technical Support, Management, Technology, Operations

Old 12-30-2013, 11:05 AM

8,105 posts, read 6,752,854 times
Quote:
Because there is a great quilt shop there, and my favorite yarn shop right across the street.

I love BM, it has a nice community ole timey feel, a very cute walkable downtown (small), a good selection of nice restaurants and you are right up against the mountains and you are right in them. Behind the yarn shop is "My Father's Pizza" and that is a biggie when you need a pizza fix or anything else on their menu. For my tastes though, I only like to visit BM; it's like the last town east that I personally want to travel to east of Asheville.

Towns I visit more are west of Asheville because I am in Hendersonville. Weaverville, Waynesville, of course downtown Hendersonville, Brevard (a lot like BM), because there is more variety and easy highway access w/o going thru Asheville traffic especially in tourist season. Hendersonville is nicely situated halfway between Greenville SC and Asheville; and I'd rather travel on I-26 than I-40 to get around for shopping and other conveniences. I like to travel when possible, and can get to the Asheville airport without hassle in about 15 mins. (The Asheville airport is not in Asheville; it's on Rt. 280, on the border of Henderson County which is a big plus. There is a nice airport right near Greenville SC ( a 45 minute easy drive via the shortcut which we might share if you are nice to us) ... down the mountain to another nice regional airport, GSP.

Bottom line: it is all good, but it all depends on price range and amenities, and what you like to do. Hope this helps.
I promise that I will be nice. I am from New York City and am still trying to shed my armour. Lol. I want to be close to Asheville but not that close. Less than 30 minutes. Amenities are important to me, guess I am spoiled after living in NYC all these years. I want to stay under 500K. I was looking to stay in Asheville proper however I am growing more and more fond of having a view of the mountains and some privacy. Black Mountain has been coming up on my radar, do you have any other suggestions?

Old 12-30-2013, 03:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Above Average Bear View Post
I promise that I will be nice. I am from New York City and am still trying to shed my armour. Lol. I want to be close to Asheville but not that close. Less than 30 minutes. Amenities are important to me, guess I am spoiled after living in NYC all these years. I want to stay under 500K. I was looking to stay in Asheville proper however I am growing more and more fond of having a view of the mountains and some privacy. Black Mountain has been coming up on my radar, do you have any other suggestions?

This will make you happy: you won't have to spend anywhere near $500K unless you have champagne/caviar taste. If you are a single man looking at approx. 2100 or so square feet of heated living area, $250K to $350K "ish" should be very doable ... and that would be in a very nice subdivision. We don't need gated communities here, but there are some nice ones in that price range, gated and guarded, or simply gated. The closer you are to Asheville (which is in Buncombe County) the prices will be higher as well as the property tax. If you live within city limits, you will pay both city and county taxes. Outside city limits, only county taxes. So watch those county lines. If you want to peruse a few good Realtors' websites, you can send me a private msg. and I'll give you a few easily searchable websites where you can enter your criteria and get a feeling for style, price, land area, taxes and so forth by city, town or county. A 30 mile radius of Asheville should be plenty, that is a pretty wide area with different elevations. And.... if you are planning on buying a new car with the leftover moolah ... wait until you get here. Sales "tax" per se on cars is 3% of what you pay for the car (minus trade) if that applies. I usually tell folks that because it can add up vs. other states. Lots to digest. Priority #1 is getting here and taking a good couple of weeks to look around. Best wishes.

Old 01-01-2014, 08:50 PM

83 posts, read 114,762 times
Quote:
Hi QuilterChick, how is Weaverville in terms of age of population in the town? Is it more of a retirement area with older folks or are there younger aged people living there
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina