Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina
 [Register]
Western North Carolina The Mountain Region including Asheville
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-28-2007, 10:43 AM

Location: Apex, North Carolina [Shepherds Vineyard Subdivision]
269 posts, read 1,156,612 times

Advertisements

Will take any suggestions or recomendations for a family of 4 [two children ages 5 and 10] looking for a nice suburb town of a nice city that has a great school system [with top scores or blue ribbon recognition], recreational activities [very outdoors type family-we like hiking, camping, kayaking, atv, dirtbike, and streetbike] nearby close, we love being near the mountains, don't mind the rain to get all the green that the Southeast provides, love the seasons! Need a growing economy for Daddy to work. We were narrowing it down to a suburb of Louisville, Kentucky in Oldham County which is beautiful, but I still haven't really found "that town" that I am looking for. Obviously subjective, but any points in the right direction will be much appreciated!! A area that is also known for great value and low cost of living would of course be very beneficial. Will be buying a home outright in the $250K zone [or below] and want to be able to get at least a 3+ 2+ 2200 sq ft or bigger on maybe a 1/2 acre or more? Trying to find a area that might be a bit milder in weather for both the summer and winter since were kind of spoiled coming from So. Cal. Like a little elevation to help that out. Have done all the Top 25 or 50 location finders from various sites, so now I am taking it to the people! Tell me what you like and why? This forum has been fantastic for me with my previous research, so I am posting this same request on multiple locations that I have narrowed down from our criteria. Thank you in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-28-2007, 10:57 AM

49 posts, read 178,202 times
Asheville is a pretty good bet for what you're looking for. Economy here's not outstanding, but other criteria are amenable.

Old 11-28-2007, 04:22 PM

958 posts, read 2,621,907 times
Might be tough to find that lot size and home in Asheville, and the job market/economy here isn't the greatest, but other than that it would probably be a good bet.

Old 11-30-2007, 08:16 AM

Question Please elaborate re economy/job market

I am currently the GM for a multi-line motorcycle/ATV store in So. Cal and I had read that the economy of Asheville was growing. These last two posts say otherwise. What is happening over there in the retail sector? I hope to stay in the same line of work, but other retail management may have to happen if nothing is available. I appreciate your info.

Old 11-30-2007, 09:06 AM

17,535 posts, read 39,141,385 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by K. Dunn View Post
I am currently the GM for a multi-line motorcycle/ATV store in So. Cal and I had read that the economy of Asheville was growing. These last two posts say otherwise. What is happening over there in the retail sector? I hope to stay in the same line of work, but other retail management may have to happen if nothing is available. I appreciate your info.
In your line of work you may be able to secure a decent job. Asheville is a resort/retirement city, the largest in WNC, but still only 70,000 or so. The most jobs are medical, government as far as professional jobs go, but then you have a lot of retail, restaurant and entrepeneurs. So, in a way it is growing, but for a lot of folks, not the type of jobs they are willing or able to do.

Hope that's clear as mud! Perhaps you can research a bit on the retail management jobs, and come take a look around.

Old 11-30-2007, 06:49 PM

40 posts, read 158,058 times
Default ever consider Charlottesville, VA?

In the foothills of VA, surrounded by mountains. University town, lots for kids to do, good job prospects, an hour from Washington, excellent schools. Property tax just a little higher than Asheville, a little more snow, lakes, rivers, skiing etc. This destination is also on my list before I decide on Asheville.
Good luck to you wherever you choose.

Old 11-30-2007, 09:49 PM

16,294 posts, read 28,534,911 times
2200+ sq/ft for $250K in Asheville. Not unless it is falling in on itself, or in a really bad neighborhood. Modest 1200 sq/ft homes are selling for 220K

Old 12-01-2007, 10:25 PM

Thumbs down Darn it!

Good to know about the cost of homes in the area. Guess that might rule Asheville for us, since were looking to use our equity to pay-outright for a home [don't want to have a mortgage], too bad, you locals are lucky, looks like a beautiful place. Maybe I'm back to Oldham County east Louisville, Kentucky where you can buy a beautiful home on 1-2 acres that is 2500-3200 sq ft for under $250K! Incredible value, I would miss those beautiful mountains you have around you though. Will have to come visit! Ciao.

Old 12-02-2007, 12:15 AM

92 posts, read 480,062 times
The following website lets you search the MLS for Asheville and surrounding areas of WNC.

CENTURY 21 Mountain Lifestyles - Asheville North Carolina Real Estate

(Note, I don't work for them....I'm not in real estate.....and I haven't used them....so this isn't an ad for them. Just found that their site is great for searching the available real estate in WNC.)

While $220K is on the low end for Asheville, it isn't impossible. Just depends on what you're after. If you are looking for new construction and have to have a 1/2 acre, then Asheville will probably be difficult.

But, I did a search on the above site for single family homes in Buncombe county, with a price range from $150K - $250K, minimum 2000sf, and minimum of 0.5 acre. There were approx 50 listings that met those criteria. Some were in Asheville and others were in Weaverville, Fairview, Arden, Fletcher, etc. I'm sure some are not in the best areas and some probably need quite a bit of work but some of them did not look too bad as I glanced through the pics.

Might be worth a look to see if anything fits your needs/desires before giving up on Asheville.

Good luck.

Old 12-02-2007, 02:34 AM

5 posts, read 15,666 times
What areas would be good/safe/established for around 500K? It's just me and my husband(mid forties), so schools wouldn't be an issue. Maybe I should start a new thread, but I just saw Asheville native. Thank you!
Good luck to the CA family-
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina