Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina
 [Register]
Western North Carolina The Mountain Region including Asheville
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-18-2014, 08:38 PM

83 posts, read 114,730 times

Advertisements

Hi guys. I was looking for a little more information about the Weaverville and Black Mountain area in terms of residents. Ive been to Asheville before for very short stays (1-2 days) so I never got the chance to check it out myself. I've lived in North Dakota for the past 5 years working outside to the 40 below subzero temps and its time for me to leave.

I want to buy my very first house with my longtime girlfriend and was looking for space. I have 4 very active collies who need ALOT of space. So is Weaverville or Black Mountain a good area for folks in their upper 20s looking to start a family or is it more for retired seniors.

Last edited by Chael; 01-18-2014 at 08:52 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-19-2014, 03:33 AM

3,767 posts, read 4,528,491 times
Wow congrats on your move. I love cold weather but that sounds brutal!

The only info I can give you is on Black Mtn and I have said it before that it is the most dog friendly little town I have ever been to!

I took my aussie for a visit and as I walked down street, literally store owners ran out and placed water bowls for my dog and came out with treats. Virtually every restaurant we went to brought the menu and a water bowl out simultaneously. Plus it is just an adorable town overall. Good luck in your search!

Old 01-19-2014, 07:23 AM

24 posts, read 45,083 times
Black Mountain is a really nice town but further away from Asheville than Weaverville. Real estate might be cheaper in Weaverville.

Old 01-19-2014, 07:49 AM

729 posts, read 1,505,130 times
No, Weaverville is not cheaper. Being so close to Asheville it's a pretty desirable area and that works up property prices. We currently have 141 homes for sale in Weaverville and only 40 of those are under $200,000. You may want to consider Mars Hill. It's just one town past Weaverville, Madison County taxes are lower and housing is a little more affordable. I live right inside of Madison, close to Mars Hill. I can be in Weaverville in 12 minutes and DT Asheville in 25. It's a straight shot down I-26. Very accessible.

Old 01-19-2014, 10:01 AM

497 posts, read 968,637 times
You can probably have "A LOT of space" in North Dakota cheaply, but close to Asheville, depending on how you define "A lot", that will be costly or "pricey". You have a lot of homework to do.

Old 01-19-2014, 10:39 AM

1,324 posts, read 2,510,120 times
Think both BM and WV have a fair number of retired folks but areas outside of WV like Reems Creek Valley have more young back to land people. WV very dog friendly and easy access to Blue Ridge Pwky and trails. Keep dogs on leash too much open space to get lost and never found. Also easy, easy to downtown Asheville. Another more rural area to consider is Barnardsville and as young92 suggested Marshall or Mars Hill. Good Luck!

Old 01-20-2014, 12:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Booya View Post
Wow congrats on your move. I love cold weather but that sounds brutal!

The only info I can give you is on Black Mtn and I have said it before that it is the most dog friendly little town I have ever been to!

I took my aussie for a visit and as I walked down street, literally store owners ran out and placed water bowls for my dog and came out with treats. Virtually every restaurant we went to brought the menu and a water bowl out simultaneously. Plus it is just an adorable town overall. Good luck in your search!
Wow that is awesome! Yea Black Mountain is a spot we plan on checking out as well.

Old 01-20-2014, 12:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Imhere now View Post
You can probably have "A LOT of space" in North Dakota cheaply, but close to Asheville, depending on how you define "A lot", that will be costly or "pricey". You have a lot of homework to do.
Actually where I live, land and housing is just as expensive due to the abundance of oil money here. I was never interested in buying anything here because of the barren flat landscaping & views which are rather dull. I was looking for at least half an acre where my dogs can run freely while still being close to the city feel Asheville gives.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina