Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina
 [Register]
Western North Carolina The Mountain Region including Asheville
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-21-2014, 06:46 PM

252 posts, read 473,961 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ucctgg View Post
Curate is great, but I think Limones (about a block away) may be even better.
Thanks for the tip on this under-the-radar restaurant! The reviewers at Urbanspoon think its pretty fantastic too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-21-2014, 06:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmarc View Post
I was talking about ECONOMIC development, not commercial and residential real estate development.
Asheville is a tourist destination town. Without tourism, we'd be sunk & so would economic development. I guess you're talking to someone who PM'd you, but I took what you said to mean good for tourism/economy. Because that's what I meant too, with the good exposure from Forbes remark. And btw, I like your "Foodie City USA" idea!!

Old 01-21-2014, 09:55 PM

5,687 posts, read 7,178,545 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MovingOver2 View Post
Asheville is a tourist destination town. Without tourism, we'd be sunk & so would economic development. I guess you're talking to someone who PM'd you, but I took what you said to mean good for tourism/economy. Because that's what I meant too, with the good exposure from Forbes remark. And btw, I like your "Foodie City USA" idea!!
It wasn't even a PM, I was actually responding to a reputation comment, at first I took offense. But once I realized the person thought I was talking about "development", as in residential and commerical subdivision and building, rather than economic development, I saw where the misunderstanding was.

Heaven forbid Asheville and its surrounding areas ever get the kind of real estate development Florida has.

But economic development, without the building, that's a good thing. Money and jobs for the locals and their existing businesses, that's what you want to see. And if food is what brings it, I say go for it! What could be bad? It's something that can be promoted broadly without changing the area drastically. And there's always a good tie-in with hiking, because after you've stuffed your face, there's places to go to walk it off.

I liked the show with the forager on it, the guy who found great stuff to eat off the trees and plants around Biltmore. Although I winced a little, wondering if those trees and plants had been sprayed for pest control.

Also I thought the local entrepreneur who is raising bison is on to something. Never had a bison burger, but I look forward to it. However, I do like venison and I'm assuming there's an eatery or two that might serve it?. Obviously I'm not vegan.

Old 01-22-2014, 07:39 AM

2,024 posts, read 5,913,640 times
Quote:
It wasn't even a PM, I was actually responding to a reputation comment, at first I took offense. But once I realized the person thought I was talking about "development", as in residential and commerical subdivision and building, rather than economic development, I saw where the misunderstanding was.

Heaven forbid Asheville and its surrounding areas ever get the kind of real estate development Florida has.
I don't disagree at all with what you're saying, but I would note that there are more linkages between Florida real estate development, Asheville, and the foodies than most realize.

First, it's no accident why AVL is described as having the second-largest collection of Art Deco architecture after Miami. Both towns boomed in the 1920s, with Florida developers who made their riches in the Sunshine State's boom looking to make a "Miami North" in Asheville.

In fact, Asheville's chamber of commerce recruited the secretary of Miami's chamber, Fred Weede, to duplicate the success he had had in bringing growth and development to south Florida. Weede's biggest impact may have been in pressing for a routing change in the Blue Ridge Parkway, which initially was to be a "park-to-park" road connecting the Shenandoah National Park in Virginia with the Great Smoky Mountains Natural Park via a three-state routing that would have turned the BRP north of Asheville into Tennessee, or perhaps run closer to the modern I-81 corridor. If not for Weede's effort, there would be no close routing of the BRP around Asheville, a move that was intended to "save" tourism in Asheville and which ended up driving more growth.

The Floridian-funded boom turned to bust, with buildings like the Grove Arcade unused, under-used (the Grove stored weather records), or shuttered for decades. The City paid off its municipal debt over many years, and growth stalled. But, those attractive empty buildings provided great fodder for creatives in the 1970s and 1980s, drawing artists and other "creative class" sector folks to relocate to Asheville. A target market, natural beauty, plus affordable underutilized real estate provide a natural source for restaurants, breweries and the like to settle in.

So ironically, a Floridian-driven boom/bust helped make Asheville what it is and set the stage for the foodie town to come!

As it happens, my vacation getaway in Yancey Co. has plenty of Floridians in it (I'm from Durham now, but grew up in Orlando), but it's the only real "development" for 10-15 miles in any direction -- and most of the Sunshine Staters I know there go there to get away from Florida's insanity and inanity, not to copy it!

(For more reading on these historical elements, check out or at least skim "The Super-Scenic Motorway" by Anne Mitchell Whisnant, which meanders more than a twisty section of the BRP but has its moments. And, if you haven't read the real classic "The French Broad" by Wilma Dykeman, you're missing out. Finally, for a look at the travails some developers have caused further northeast of us, the recent non-fiction book "Stand Up That Mountain" by Jay Erskine Leutze is a great read.)

Old 01-22-2014, 10:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bull City Rising View Post
I don't disagree at all with what you're saying, but I would note that there are more linkages between Florida real estate development, Asheville, and the foodies than most realize.

First, it's no accident why AVL is described as having the second-largest collection of Art Deco architecture after Miami. Both towns boomed in the 1920s, with Florida developers who made their riches in the Sunshine State's boom looking to make a "Miami North" in Asheville.

In fact, Asheville's chamber of commerce recruited the secretary of Miami's chamber, Fred Weede, to duplicate the success he had had in bringing growth and development to south Florida. Weede's biggest impact may have been in pressing for a routing change in the Blue Ridge Parkway, which initially was to be a "park-to-park" road connecting the Shenandoah National Park in Virginia with the Great Smoky Mountains Natural Park via a three-state routing that would have turned the BRP north of Asheville into Tennessee, or perhaps run closer to the modern I-81 corridor. If not for Weede's effort, there would be no close routing of the BRP around Asheville, a move that was intended to "save" tourism in Asheville and which ended up driving more growth.

The Floridian-funded boom turned to bust, with buildings like the Grove Arcade unused, under-used (the Grove stored weather records), or shuttered for decades. The City paid off its municipal debt over many years, and growth stalled. But, those attractive empty buildings provided great fodder for creatives in the 1970s and 1980s, drawing artists and other "creative class" sector folks to relocate to Asheville. A target market, natural beauty, plus affordable underutilized real estate provide a natural source for restaurants, breweries and the like to settle in.

So ironically, a Floridian-driven boom/bust helped make Asheville what it is and set the stage for the foodie town to come!

As it happens, my vacation getaway in Yancey Co. has plenty of Floridians in it (I'm from Durham now, but grew up in Orlando), but it's the only real "development" for 10-15 miles in any direction -- and most of the Sunshine Staters I know there go there to get away from Florida's insanity and inanity, not to copy it!

(For more reading on these historical elements, check out or at least skim "The Super-Scenic Motorway" by Anne Mitchell Whisnant, which meanders more than a twisty section of the BRP but has its moments. And, if you haven't read the real classic "The French Broad" by Wilma Dykeman, you're missing out. Finally, for a look at the travails some developers have caused further northeast of us, the recent non-fiction book "Stand Up That Mountain" by Jay Erskine Leutze is a great read.)
Hey, THANKS, Bull City This is great stuff you've posted, I had no idea the linkage between Florida and western NC development, nor the history of it. Yes, it seems western NC is the go-to spot for those weary of Florida. Future half-back. That's me.

Old 01-22-2014, 10:43 AM

11,113 posts, read 19,534,081 times
Quote:
Hey, THANKS, Bull City This is great stuff you've posted, I had no idea* the linkage between Florida and western NC development, nor the history of it. Yes, it seems western NC is the go-to spot for those weary of Florida. Future half-back. That's me.

*Me neither, those books do sound interesting and I love to read about the history of the area too.

Whenever you're ready, we are here waitin' for 'ya, Kmarc ... half back or not.

Old 01-22-2014, 11:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuilterChick View Post
*Me neither, those books do sound interesting and I love to read about the history of the area too.

Whenever you're ready, we are here waitin' for 'ya, Kmarc ... half back or not.
QC, you're one of the BEST ambassadors for the area. I nominate you for Economic Development director! BTW, been hearing some good things about the Etowah area.

Old 01-22-2014, 02:29 PM

11,113 posts, read 19,534,081 times
Quote:
QC, you're one of the BEST ambassadors for the area. I nominate you for Economic Development director! BTW, been hearing some good things about the Etowah area.

" If nominated I will not run, If elected I will not serve " Wm. Sherman, Presidential Election 1884.

Yes, Etowah is more like a village, and we have a Hendersonville zip code. Rural, mountain views, very neighborly whistle stop. Well located to get to Asheville and the interstates. Lots of farms, horse farms, and bar-b-q.

Attached is a pic of overlooking a little bit of the Pisgah Forest section of the Blue Ridge Parkway from a hill near a small grocery market, it must have been taken in the summer for it to still be daylight at that time. I don't think we have enough people here to even call it a "town", more like a rest stop on the way to Brevard from Hendersonville.
Attached Thumbnails
Asheville a Secret Foodie City-Forbes Travel-dsc01070.jpg  

Last edited by QuilterChick; 01-22-2014 at 02:41 PM..

Old 01-22-2014, 03:21 PM

95 posts, read 170,916 times
Hasn't Asheville been pushing for the moniker of "Beer City USA?" I think we lost the poll for the first time this year in 6 years to Grand Rapids, MI or some other town.

Old 01-23-2014, 07:48 PM

Maybe its the "City" part that's throwing people off. Sure, technically, AVL is a city but it sure feels like just a big beautiful town. Maybe Beer Town USA? Foodie Town USA? :-)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina