Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina
 [Register]
Western North Carolina The Mountain Region including Asheville
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-22-2014, 06:26 AM

11,113 posts, read 19,544,173 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by organic_donna View Post
While we were driving through the mountain we saw a beautiful golden retriever that had been hit by a car. It was laying in the grassy divider between the the middle of the lanes. There was nowhere to even pull over to see if it was still alive. This was someone's pet.
That vision stayed with me for a long time.

Unfortunately, very sad; but that happens everywhere Donna. It is not a Western NC anomaly.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-22-2014, 09:27 AM

5,544 posts, read 8,316,296 times
Quote:
I drove in a tiny rental car from Asheville to the Greenville Spartanburg airport. I was not at all prepared for the mountain driving. It scared the crap out of me. I had the gas pedal to the floor and the car would not accelerate. Then going downhill on the brakes.
Yikes.
Donna, Saluda Mountain into the gorge to GSP is a pretty steep slope but my suggestion is to practice driving it with only rarely tapping your brakes. If need be, go to a lower gear. But that shouldn't be necessary if you don't push it too fast going up the mountain (and even with a small engine there should be enough power to get you to the top). Work with gravity and the forces of physics. See my post #9.

Know it is scary and a few times it has even snuck up on me. But you will be OK. Good luck

Old 08-22-2014, 11:37 AM

5,544 posts, read 8,316,296 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LEFTIMAGE View Post
Reading your post makes it sound like you're referring to Mount Everest.

"we're flatlanders". Lol sounds like a some kind of handicap. I think you're overdoing the higher / lower elevation dichotomy here.

Besides, it's never too late to become an adventurous type.
I think the correct term is "white-knuckled flatlanders" and it can be a significant emotional event for those used to limited elevation change and to straight roads. I have seen them getting out of their cars shaking. It happens.

just take it easy and try to stay off the brakes. You will be fine.

Old 08-22-2014, 12:23 PM

2,596 posts, read 2,289,729 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theoldnorthstate View Post
Donna, Saluda Mountain into the gorge to GSP is a pretty steep slope but my suggestion is to practice driving it with only rarely tapping your brakes. If need be, go to a lower gear. But that shouldn't be necessary if you don't push it too fast going up the mountain (and even with a small engine there should be enough power to get you to the top). Work with gravity and the forces of physics. See my post #9.

Know it is scary and a few times it has even snuck up on me. But you will be OK. Good luck
I wasn't prepared to drive through a mountain. Next time I will know better. Once I get my Forester it has paddle shifters and I can go to a lower gear for the downhill slope. I can tell you one thing, I won't be driving in a mountain in heavy rain, snow or fog, if I can help it.

Old 08-22-2014, 12:31 PM

12,799 posts, read 16,338,660 times
Well, organic_donna, you probably will drive on a mountain in heavy rain, snow or fog. It just happens. Sometimes you know it's gonna be raining and sometimes it's sunny on your side of the mountain, but when you get to the other side it's fogy and rainy or snowy. Just take it easy and put on your flashers as needed. Happened to us this summer on the BRP. It was sunny when we left, but we got about 5 miles up the road and it was pretty durn foggy.

Old 08-22-2014, 12:38 PM

I left for the Asheville airport at 4:00am on a Saturday. I did not know the route and had directions written down. When I got on the highway it was pitch black. There was not another car on the road. The only way I could drive the car straight was to follow the painted line in the middle of the road. I was scared out of my mind. Never drive in a mountain at 4:00am on a Saturday unless you know where you ate going.

Old 08-22-2014, 07:24 PM

1,497 posts, read 3,352,896 times
Quote:
I left for the Asheville airport at 4:00am on a Saturday. I did not know the route and had directions written down. When I got on the highway it was pitch black. There was not another car on the road. The only way I could drive the car straight was to follow the painted line in the middle of the road. I was scared out of my mind. Never drive in a mountain at 4:00am on a Saturday unless you know where you ate going.
Welcome to the club!! I went to Fontana on the 7th , and left Charlotte at 1:45 A.M. When I got to the GSM expressway , it got foggy in the blink of an eye. Luckily , I was the only one out at that time , save for 2 others who passed me like it was nothing. Like others have said , I guess they are used to those roads , because I think I did a max of 40 the entire distance from Junaluska. Even on I-40 past Old Fort , it seemed like the car had pretty much died on the ascent. However , once you arrive , it is well worth it. I'm planning on making the trip at least 8 to 14 times annually , if all goes as planned.

Old 08-22-2014, 10:47 PM
RVT

367 posts, read 771,901 times
My suggestion to the posters that seemed to be scared of driving on our roads would be to hire an instructor to help familiarize you with driving in the mountains.

Old 08-23-2014, 04:49 AM

My next car will be completely self driving. That will be in about 10 years.
LOL

Old 08-23-2014, 05:27 AM

I am also used to driving with a 55 mile an hour speed zone.

Fastest, slowest states: Where your state ranks
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina