Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina
 [Register]
Western North Carolina The Mountain Region including Asheville
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-17-2014, 02:36 PM

41 posts, read 115,943 times

Advertisements

Hello everyone, I have spent the last 2 years getting ready to move to prescott az from sw florida, within the last few months my husband and I have decided its to expensive and to far away from kids and future grandkids. We have been to maggie valley and waynesville only, and went to the Biltmore house.We plan on flying into charlotte and drive up and around asheville area to search for homes. We liked waynesville alot, but we are considering, Spruce Pine area, Black Mountain area, Brevard area and maybe Mars Hill. We are looking for a min of 1 acre property as we have 6 dogs and want a garden, chickens, we have mini horses now but not sure we will bring them or not. We plan on opening a dog business and keeping the one in florida for income, Husband must have a home depot or lowes nearby or he will lose it. I would like privacy and access to organic foods, we are willing to drive for luxuries like costco or whole foods, not a problem. Any advice is greatly appreciated. Mary
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-17-2014, 03:28 PM

4,791 posts, read 10,613,723 times
Spruce Pine: tiny, few stores, but land around it. No idea of existing housing situ. Burnsville, down the road, has more housing choices.

Closest HD to SP is Johnson City or A'ville. There is a Lowes in Boone... In SP area, you are going drive for most things.

Brevard, BM, nice areas, most stuff one needs.

I live in Waynesville, and we love it. Lowes and big box at edge of town, great farmer's mkts (2 locations), twice a week.

You ref'd Prescott: one of my fave places in AZ. But, if you are looking for Prescott type weather, esp summers that aren't warm to hot, the lower elevations of any of your looking locales can be warm+. Up a bit in elevation gets you more like Prescott, though the winters in most of western NC, even at high elevations, is not as severe as Prescott in winter.

~3 hr drive from CLT to areas you are looking at, fyi.
GL, mD

Old 02-17-2014, 03:58 PM

4,218 posts, read 8,532,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by motordavid View Post
There is a Lowes in Boone... In SP area, you are going drive for most things.
For Spruce Pine, the closest Lowe's are: Marion - 18 mi (twisty, narrow road between the two), Banner Elk - 26 mi, and Boone - 37 mi (you have to go past Banner Elk to get to Boone). For basics, there is a Walmart Supercenter in Spruce Pine.

Old 02-18-2014, 10:25 AM

729 posts, read 1,505,942 times
What type of dog business do you plan to open? I know of a successful boarding kennel that is currently for sale.
Do you happen to compete with your dogs?
With six dogs, Madison or Haywood will be less intrusive. You will want to stay out of Asheville city limits as they have a limit on how many dogs you can own on your property. You will also want to be careful of restrictions in a lot of developments as they may limit the number of dogs and also restrict the type of fencing that you use.

Old 02-18-2014, 12:19 PM

Thanks for the input, MotorDavid, do you mind the driving back and forth, sw florida to NC. We eventually will be just in NC, we have alot of friends in florida we can come visit. Young92, I own a grooming boutique/daycare here in florida, will probably just do grooming, or work for someone else, no kennels for me, but thanks, I have shown dogs for a long time, but cutting back, still breed though but not sure how long for that, maybe once I slow down will show more and add a new breed. We do not want any hoa's cause of the dogs. we live on 5 acres now but don't need this much room is we leave horses behind. MH

Old 02-18-2014, 12:24 PM

5,544 posts, read 8,317,781 times
for business purposes and what you propose probably south asheville/Hendersonvilleish areas. Not sure you can get the acreage and price though.

There would be a quick drive to Greenville, Charlotte, etc but if you move to Madison and Haywood counties or Weaverville, Burnsville, Spruce Pine, Waynesville, etc you are adding travel time which negates the minimized travel time to be near such places or family as you mention. Guess it depends upon where your family is. And you would have to do a business plan to see if the business/market is there for you.

If you have, let's say, a dog boarding facility you would be where the market and demographics would support that. So you go where the business is.

I lost the rest of what you mentioned, but might I suggest long visits so that you scope it out yourself. Only you can know what suits you

The old saying used to be "marry in haste, repent in leisure" . Perhaps that holds true for relocating as well.

Good luck

Old 02-18-2014, 12:28 PM

4,791 posts, read 10,613,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marymouse View Post
Thanks for the input, MotorDavid, do you mind the driving back and forth, sw florida to NC. We eventually will be just in NC, we have alot of friends in florida we can come visit.
We migrate south in mid to late November, and return home to western NC in early/mid April. Not driving back and forth, other than the one down and one back.

It's 12 hrs of hauling fanny with two cars loaded to the gunnels, but we suck it up and do it.

We also make 2-3 trips a 'summer' back to NJ/NY to see our kids and other Fam...not a problem.

Spent the first 5 years on the mtn; winter at 5,000 ft elevation is/was severe.

For many of us in western NC, with some FL full time friends, they have a knack for 'finding us' for a few days every summer, as are different sets of friends roll north to visit their fams.
GL, mD

Old 02-18-2014, 04:39 PM

We are flying up first week in june for 8 days, we have decided so far between waynesville, weaverville, flat rock, mars hill, morganton and black mountain, don't want to be south of asheville, to close to nuclear plant for me. Trying to stay around 3,000 to 3500 feet above sea level. We can do 1/2 acre as long as their was room for a garden, chickens and dogs.

Old 02-18-2014, 06:19 PM

4,218 posts, read 8,532,029 times
Quote:
... don't want to be south of asheville, to close to nuclear plant for me.
If you are referring to Duke Energy's plant at Skyland, it's not nuclear; two units are coal-fired and 2 are combustion turbines (gas/oil-fired).

Old 02-19-2014, 06:05 AM

11,113 posts, read 19,547,135 times
Quote:
We are flying up first week in june for 8 days, we have decided so far between waynesville, weaverville, flat rock, mars hill, morganton and black mountain, don't want to be south of asheville, to close to nuclear plant for me. Trying to stay around 3,000 to 3500 feet above sea level. We can do 1/2 acre as long as their was room for a garden, chickens and dogs.

That is a lot of ground to cover in 8 days if that includes travel time (why not connect in CLT and fly into AVL?) ... Flat Rock won't meet your criteria, plus it is south of Asheville. You will need to purchase outside of city limits wherever you explore; and check the county ordinance regulations for conducting a business on the property. A half acre with chickens and dogs and a house on it, will not be doable in any neighborhood, and surely not with a HOA. You're looking at one acre minimum, and the closer you are to Asheville, real estate prices rise. You don't mention your price range.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina