Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina
 [Register]
Western North Carolina The Mountain Region including Asheville
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-02-2014, 06:55 AM

91 posts, read 136,194 times

Advertisements

Hello, I was wondering if anyone can give me some advice. When I graduated HS I moved to Brevard, NC from Michigan and fell in LOVE with the mountains. I was a young kid not very financially eductated and had to move back after 2 years. Fast forward 20 years later and still missing it. I have been wanting to move back to the mountains, but I know I will probably have to work in a busy, professional city and live about 30 miles away in a more country like setting. I have been reading the posts in this thread and it seems like Black Mountain is pretty similar to the lifestyle in Brevard (please keep in mind I am only assuming, I was only in NC for about 2 years and it was 20 years ago). I have a bachelor's in Business administration and was looking for working in the insurance industry. Would working in Asheville and living in Black Mountain seem like a good choice? It is so hard when I live over 600 miles away. Any advice would be appreciated! Thank you!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-02-2014, 07:14 AM

11,113 posts, read 19,544,173 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anita Lebeck View Post
Hello, I was wondering if anyone can give me some advice. When I graduated HS I moved to Brevard, NC from Michigan and fell in LOVE with the mountains. I was a young kid not very financially eductated and had to move back after 2 years. Fast forward 20 years later and still missing it. I have been wanting to move back to the mountains, but I know I will probably have to work in a busy, professional city and live about 30 miles away in a more country like setting. I have been reading the posts in this thread and it seems like Black Mountain is pretty similar to the lifestyle in Brevard (please keep in mind I am only assuming, I was only in NC for about 2 years and it was 20 years ago). I have a bachelor's in Business administration and was looking for working in the insurance industry. Would working in Asheville and living in Black Mountain seem like a good choice? It is so hard when I live over 600 miles away. Any advice would be appreciated! Thank you!!

Blk Mtn to Asheville would be very doable, about an 18 mile drive, all via Rt. 40. Just make sure you search for jobs and what salaries are in your field, and secure a job first. Do some serious research on cost of renting and costs of relocating. Other towns within a 20 mile drive may also be desireable. But remember, the closer you are to Asheville, the more you will spend on rent. Important also, since you have not been here in 20 years, a preliminary visit for at least one week is highly recommended. Here is the website for the Asheville newspaper. Best wishes.

www.citizen-times.com

Old 03-02-2014, 09:26 AM

5,544 posts, read 8,316,296 times
Since you have been in the business for awhile, tap your contacts and resources to see what is feasible to work in your field in the area as well. Availability. Just suggesting you do research if whatever you do or can do in insurance lends itself to something you can find in the Asheville area.

It would seem that having experience would be helpful. And the right job may just be there for you.

Remember there are three good size universities and several colleges in the mountains churning out graduates every year and these graduates love the area too but most must leave to find jobs in their fields. and always want to come back.

Speaking as one who had to move to Greenville, SC to find my first post B.A. job after graduation from UNC-A. FYI most of my class mates moved to Greenville, SC, Charlotte, NC and Raleigh area to find work and came home to visit through the years.

Some stayed and waited tables, started a business, or performed a service. But most must leave.

It is just the numbers.

The saying is "You can't eat the scenery; you have to go where the jobs are".

Good luck

Old 03-05-2014, 08:41 PM

8,963 posts, read 8,919,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theoldnorthstate View Post
Since you have been in the business for awhile, tap your contacts and resources to see what is feasible to work in your field in the area as well. Availability. Just suggesting you do research if whatever you do or can do in insurance lends itself to something you can find in the Asheville area.

It would seem that having experience would be helpful. And the right job may just be there for you.

Remember there are three good size universities and several colleges in the mountains churning out graduates every year and these graduates love the area too but most must leave to find jobs in their fields. and always want to come back.

Speaking as one who had to move to Greenville, SC to find my first post B.A. job after graduation from UNC-A. FYI most of my class mates moved to Greenville, SC, Charlotte, NC and Raleigh area to find work and came home to visit through the years.

Some stayed and waited tables, started a business, or performed a service. But most must leave.

It is just the numbers.

The saying is "You can't eat the scenery; you have to go where the jobs are".

Good luck
Wow, so true. Haven't heard it phrased that way, but so true.

Old 03-06-2014, 04:05 PM

2,103 posts, read 4,471,745 times
Another UNCA grad that had to move to make it. The only people I know still in Asheville from my class are those that had a parent there so were living at home or those who had worthless degrees anyways and are just in retail.

That said I think with 20yr experience its going to depend on what exactly you do and what your current salary is. You might find it comparable or you might find it significantly less. Start looking and dont move until youve got an offer in hand. But (and this is a concern for DH and I as we are planning on moving back within the next year...) be cautious because if you lose a job in Asheville there are far fewer places to find another.

Old 03-06-2014, 08:36 PM

8,963 posts, read 8,919,924 times
I was working in construction management in Asheville for a short period of time after the market collapsed in FL. Then it hit NC. I lost my job in Asheville because of it, and it took me like 2.5 yrs to get another one (moved back to FL to get it). Couldn't find comparable in Asheville (pay especially).

Old 03-08-2014, 02:44 PM

6,353 posts, read 11,594,235 times
If you just happen to like mountains and don't need the crunchy culture - could you broaden your horizons?

Greenville, Winston Salem, Knoxville and Chattanooga all have mountains close enough for an easy day trip. Roanoake and Johnson City have montains within commuting distance. Plenty of smaller cities to choose from if jobs are available.

Old 03-08-2014, 06:38 PM

83 posts, read 266,256 times
If you haven't been back in 20 years, you might want to visit first to see if the Appalachian Mtns are still your thing. Things have changed a lot in 20 years.

Old 03-16-2014, 10:55 AM

91 posts, read 136,194 times
Thank you so much everyone for your replies! I do prefer to be in the mountains but do not like the "city living" and just assumed that Asheville would be the closest professional city. I will check out Roanoke and Greenville - it is hard to check out when I live so far away. Most the time I have to rely on Google Earth to see if there are any mountains nearby. I have heard Greenville is doing really well but it looked kind of far away from the mountain scene. I subscribed to the Citizen-Times online and everyone seems to be right, jobs are really slim pickings it seems from the newspaper. Right now as an insurance CSR I am making about $30,000. I guess I will have to do some digging till I can afford a vaca down there. Thank you!!!

Old 03-16-2014, 11:18 AM

4,218 posts, read 8,532,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anita Lebeck View Post
Most the time I have to rely on Google Earth to see if there are any mountains nearby. I have heard Greenville is doing really well but it looked kind of far away from the mountain scene.
Greenville, SC is very close to the mountains. You can actually see mountains from many locations in Greenville. There are mountains/parks in northern Greenville County - Jones Gap, Caesar's Head, Table Rock, etc. Also very close proximity to Asheville, Tryon, Brevard, Hendersonville, Cashiers, Highlands, etc. for day trips.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina