Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina
 [Register]
Western North Carolina The Mountain Region including Asheville
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-07-2014, 08:31 PM

5 posts, read 7,722 times

Advertisements

Hi there! My boyfriend and I just recently moved to the Asheville area from WV. We are both in our 20's. He's a musician, and I am a massage therapist. We are currently living with his folks but really need help finding a place of our own. It would be pretty cool to get something close to downtown. Preferably $400-500 a month range. If ANYONE knows of anything. A rental company or an apartment complex that we could check out please let me know. Any help would be much much appreciated. Peace and Love!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-08-2014, 09:24 AM

19,447 posts, read 27,866,297 times
Are both of you going to be on the lease? IF so, are both of you going to pass a credit check?

I'm going to guess the answer is no. In that case, concentrate on Craigslist.

Even if you guys can pass a credit check, that price range is largely Craiglist category.

Be careful, though. Lots of rental scams on CL. Maybe your parents should help you weed out the bad guys.

Old 03-08-2014, 12:36 PM

3,767 posts, read 4,533,072 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jkgourmet View Post
Are both of you going to be on the lease? IF so, are both of you going to pass a credit check?

I'm going to guess the answer is no. In that case, concentrate on Craigslist.

Even if you guys can pass a credit check, that price range is largely Craiglist category.

Be careful, though. Lots of rental scams on CL. Maybe your parents should help you weed out the bad guys.
Why on earth would you guess the poster can't pass a credit check?

Old 03-08-2014, 01:19 PM

2,103 posts, read 4,474,627 times
You won't find anything but a shared roommate situation for that price near downtown. Sorry. Craigslist is your only option and that's if you are willing to share with someone.

Old 03-08-2014, 11:01 PM

29,939 posts, read 39,483,645 times
If you qualify for the workforce program you can try a newer community that adheres to that program. In full disclosure, I am part of a group building a new community close to Mission near the baseball field. There will be 18 apartments available to workforce qualified individuals/families with the cheapest starting at about $600 for the studios.

There are lots of other apartment communities going up all around Asheville so you might want to check with them and see if they have that program available. That's about the only way I see you getting into downtown or close to it for the rates you're looking for.

Good luck.

Old 03-12-2014, 09:30 AM

1,603 posts, read 3,251,816 times
$400-500 good luck finding anything at all for that price that isn't a complete dump. Pretty much everywhere in Asheville is expensive to live.

Floor Plans of Parkway Crossing Apartments in Asheville, NC

Even these apartments which are (at least) 30 years old start at $685 and they were never that nice 30 years ago ... Now if both of you can afford $400 each then you've got a better chance at finding something.

Otherwise, you are really going to really be hard pressed to find anything. I think it's time that you both took off your Rose-colored, Asheville Glasses and recognize the reality of living in this area. Without considerable financial resources you will have to resign yourself to living with multiple roommates or living in really, less than desirable circumstances.

Old 03-12-2014, 03:03 PM

3,767 posts, read 4,533,072 times
I think you can look on the positive side and make it an adventure. Don't pay attention to all the gloom and doom. When you are young it is not a bad thing to have to share or make do to follow your dream. I personally think rose colored glasses are the bomb!

If you don't have any adversity then you will miss out on a lot. So what if your parents gave you a bunch of money so you could live where every you please in style. This way you can do it yourself. And if you make it work you can look back fondly. If you don't then you are no worse off. Don't listen to negative comments. Good luck!

Old 03-15-2014, 03:54 PM

47 posts, read 143,791 times
Sorry, but it's not gloom and doom, it's the truth. There was a scam I heard about just last weekend on Craigslist . A couple with a child paid $1800 for 1st months and deposit on the house I moved out of last year. The place was a dump and needed to just be torn down it was bad. Someone bought it and fixed it up, had a realtor handle the place. Someone posted it on craigslist for $900. It was not even their place to rent it. The owners found out about it and had the family move. The owners are asking $1100 for a 2 bedroom house. Now I can see it the house was really nice, but it's not and I am sure they did not really fix all the problems with it, just made it look that way. I would not even buy the house for $30,000 because of all the work it required and not to leave out that 3 houses next to it the house was broken into, another time there was gun fire, and on the other side the guy was into selling drugs and women. There is also a sex offender across the street.

Asheville is very expensive to live in (anywhere in Asheville). $400-500 a month in rent will maybe get you a dump in a bad area. My boyfriend's mother lives in a junky single wide trailer and pays $500, but you are not close to much and she has had mold in there. I have been looking for a place for my oldest son for $400 and can't find a thing.

It's not being gloom and doom, it's just being honest and realistic.

Old 03-16-2014, 05:09 PM

277 posts, read 689,284 times
I agree, inexpensive housing is hard to find in Asheville. But just as an example, my daughter and son-in-law just found a place which is a 2 bedroom tiny (!) cottage near Hendersonville for $500 per month. It is cute and newly renovated and guess where we found it? No, not Craigslist . . . the local Hendersonville newspaper classifieds!

Honestly, I swear by the newspaper classifieds to this day - in fact, I have had far better luck dealing with older, private-owned type places that are not corporately owned complexes or scams.

Anyways, just my two cents. Hope that helps somewhat!

Old 03-18-2014, 07:55 PM

12,626 posts, read 32,086,888 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mlewis904 View Post
Hi there! My boyfriend and I just recently moved to the Asheville area from WV. We are both in our 20's. He's a musician, and I am a massage therapist. We are currently living with his folks but really need help finding a place of our own. It would be pretty cool to get something close to downtown. Preferably $400-500 a month range. If ANYONE knows of anything. A rental company or an apartment complex that we could check out please let me know. Any help would be much much appreciated. Peace and Love!
My son was looking for a place there and yes it is expensive. OTOH, there are some income based apartments near downtown. I don't know what your income is but you may qualify. There is one in the River Arts District that just recently opened called The Depot. I can't find the info though. They didn't have a waiting list like some others do.

Here are others:
MHO | Rental Housing
Westmore Apartments - Rent Apartment - Asheville, NC 28806
Glen Rock Apartments - Rent Apartment - Asheville, NC 28801

Good luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina