Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina
 [Register]
Western North Carolina The Mountain Region including Asheville
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-17-2013, 07:26 AM

2 posts, read 8,208 times

Advertisements

I am relocating from West Texas to either Waynesville or Maggie Valley in June. Could anyone tell me what the employment climate is like for health care professionals in/around this area? I am an Occupational Therapy Assistant. I realize that Asheville would most likely open a lot more opportunities for me, but I really don't want to commute if at all possible. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-17-2013, 09:57 AM

11,113 posts, read 19,555,263 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GWriter View Post
I am relocating from West Texas to either Waynesville or Maggie Valley in June. Could anyone tell me what the employment climate is like for health care professionals in/around this area? I am an Occupational Therapy Assistant. I realize that Asheville would most likely open a lot more opportunities for me, but I really don't want to commute if at all possible. Thanks!

Best to check with the various hospitals and skilled nursing facilities within a radius of the areas you are interested in. Remember that wages are traditionally low in western NC; so be sure to obtain employment with a pay scale in your comfort level for your cost of living before relocating.

Old 03-17-2013, 10:31 AM

4,793 posts, read 10,618,753 times
+1 with Quilter Chick...
I assume the OP has done some net searching via GOOG.
There is Haywood Med Ctr Hospital, another down the road in Sylva, et al.
Not a doctor/hospital 'goer', but there are several clinics, doc group out patient places, etc., around Haywood County, which may save the drive to A'ville.

Fwiw, most of the ~100 men in our Geezer golf group are getting PT, about to get PT, or are heading into PT, it seems, but none are looking for 'occupational'...

General employment climate in Haywood County for most jobs, is tight and with lesser pay than other parts of the country, with the possible exception of our our pricey local dentists.
GL, mD

PS: do some reading on this Western NC Forum...plug in topic in Search This Forum Tab, upper right hand corner of main forum page. MV is nice, I love Waynesville, but they are both quite 'different' even being adjacent to each other...

Old 03-17-2013, 01:46 PM

2 posts, read 8,208 times
Thanks for the information. My specialty is with the senior population in a nursing home setting. I have done some searching for these facilities and have found a few in and about the area. What would you consider the biggest difference between MV and Waynesville?

Old 03-17-2013, 02:20 PM

11,113 posts, read 19,555,263 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GWriter View Post
Thanks for the information. My specialty is with the senior population in a nursing home setting. I have done some searching for these facilities and have found a few in and about the area. What would you consider the biggest difference between MV and Waynesville?

http://www.city-data.com/city/Maggie...-Carolina.html

http://www.city-data.com/city/Waynes...-Carolina.html

Old 03-17-2013, 04:59 PM

4,793 posts, read 10,618,753 times
OP, you have probably searched, but here is a quick and dirty list using nursing homes in Waynesville:
Waynesville Nursing homes | Nursing homes in Waynesville, NC - YP.com

Aging population, some with good retirement dough, but some/many not so much.

Read those MV and W'ville threads that QC put up for you...

In a nutshell: MV has no real downtown, just a road that goes through 'town' from Waynesville toward SMNP, lined with motels, tourist stuff, and some biz.

W'ville has a real downtown, with big box stores on the outskirts...

Not dissing MV, and some good friends and some nice home areas there; it just isn't Waynesville, though from the Center of MV to the Center of downtown Waynesville isn't 15 mins with 'traffic'. Parts of W'ville and MV abut each other.
GL, mD

GOOG Map:
Waynesville, NC to Maggie Valley, NC - Google Maps

Old 03-18-2013, 06:38 AM
RVT

367 posts, read 772,253 times
I'm not dissing Maggie Valley either (after all, some of my ancestors were among the first europeans to live in M/V) but it has very restrictive ordinances about what businesses can be built inside of it, so if you want to go grocery shopping or to a dept store of any kind, you have to drive to Waynesville or further.

Old 03-19-2013, 03:18 PM

1 posts, read 4,024 times
Maggie Valley is a place to live, somewhat secluded if you chose.... lots of restaurants, most of which close before 10 - we live in Maggie and go to Waynesville for groceries. Our house is only a short distance up the hill from Soco (main drag), but we feel like we're in the woods. Waynesville is a great town, with main street you can walk, with shops and restaurants - but the venue is totally different. I LOVE living in Maggie and 'going into town'... to Waynesville. Luckily, we got our house very cheap with almost an acre, we can't even see any other houses in the summer - in the fall when the leaves drop, we have super views and can see some other houses. Late fall when most of the leaves have dropped, you realize just how many people actually live in MV. Waynesville if you want to live 'in town'... or Maggie if you want more of the vacation home lifestyle. We're only 10 minutes away, but if feels like a lot farther.

Old 10-12-2013, 07:30 PM

3,085 posts, read 7,253,010 times
Do you like the Occupational Therapy Assistant as a career?

I'm interested in entering an OTA program, and I would like to know the pros and cons of this career.

Old 03-03-2014, 09:37 AM

2 posts, read 3,675 times
What is the traffic like on a typical week day during tourist season in Maggie Valley? I know without traffic it is about 40 minutes to Asheville and maybe 20 minutes to Waysnesville during the winter but I have no idea what the area is like in the peak of summer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina