Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina
 [Register]
Western North Carolina The Mountain Region including Asheville
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-24-2014, 06:36 AM

292 posts, read 372,911 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mountainrose View Post
Mountain lover here also....

A couple of other great things about Weaverville are the Reems Creek Nursery which is really nice for a small town to have, and Stony Knob Cafe - it is not right in town but definitely worth finding - great food and atmosphere.

The Art Safari is top notch -- some really great art and you get to see hidden areas to explore around Weaverville and Barnardsville. Pick up a brochure in town as they are very organized and describe each studio well and have it all mapped out.

Could someone explain why Jack Of Hearts closed? We loved that place and miss it. Is someone else buying it?
A deal for Moe's fell through and it's now available....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-24-2014, 07:10 AM

861 posts, read 1,249,900 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tsmw47 View Post
A preacher who rode over long stretches to bring the word to people in remote areas. Many were Methodist, after moving here I found a gggreat grandfather was one and Weaverville was in his circuit and he preached here in 1811. Talk about a small world!
Drive out Reems Creek Rd and turn right on Ox Creek Rd and go about 4 miles to BRP head south. Stop at the Folk Art Center then get off on 70 heading east (TunnelRd) back to Asheville. If you stay on BRP past 70 you will see the Parkway Headquarters on the right good stop for info and a Parkway map a must have. Another is to go out Reems Creek Rd until you get to the end, several miles past Ox Creek turn off, then come back unless you want to turn left on Maney Branch and over the ridge to Barnardsville then come back to Asheville on 26. There are so many beautiful places in the area. If you want to head north on 26 from Weaverville it is a beautiful drive past Mars Hill, Wolf Laurel and then go till you see the North Carolina Welcome Center not too far maybe half hour and beautiful view. Good place for info and maps. Happy touring!
A nice easy to moderate 2.6 mile hike can be found on The Rattlesnake Lodge Trail, located between Reems Creek Road and BRP. It's on a section of the Mountains to Sea Trail. It's a a well-designed trail that goes through a multitude of switchbacks, following an old wagon route. The wagon route was built to reach a historic private (Rattlesnake) lodge, the remains of which you'll find at the end of this hike. Explore the old lodge foundation, toolshed and water supply pond. It's a bit rocky on parts of the trail. Nice vistas and close to Asheville, Weaverville and about a half mile off the BRP. There is off road parking in a dirt lot (trailhead) and along the roadway as you find it

Old 03-24-2014, 08:29 AM

1,324 posts, read 2,511,524 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mountainrose View Post
Mountain lover here also....

A couple of other great things about Weaverville are the Reems Creek Nursery which is really nice for a small town to have, and Stony Knob Cafe - it is not right in town but definitely worth finding - great food and atmosphere.

The Art Safari is top notch -- some really great art and you get to see hidden areas to explore around Weaverville and Barnardsville. Pick up a brochure in town as they are very organized and describe each studio well and have it all mapped out.

Could someone explain why Jack Of Hearts closed? We loved that place and miss it. Is someone else buying it?
Reems Creek Nursery is a great place and family owned. They carry alot of native plants which I prefer as they do so well in our variable mountain climate. Art Safari is a ritual in this "neck of the woods" so many talented artist live in the Weaverville area. Another art related activity is Art in Autumn when Main St. is blocked off and full of art related booths selling neat stuff.
Regarding Jack's.... no one I know is really sure. My guess is food quality was inconsistant and a bit pricey for sometimes not a great meal. But a great venue hope something good replaces it!

Old 02-07-2015, 08:08 AM

1 posts, read 1,325 times
We too are drawn to Weaverville and plan to build a home in Garrison Hills off Hwy.25 in the Spring to live full time from Charlotte, NC. We are builders so we will construct our own home and hopefully someone else will want us to build for them!

Old 02-17-2015, 06:28 PM

159 posts, read 183,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Denise Stone View Post
We too are drawn to Weaverville and plan to build a home in Garrison Hills off Hwy.25 in the Spring to live full time from Charlotte, NC. We are builders so we will construct our own home and hopefully someone else will want us to build for them!
Hah!

You'll be my neighbor!

We've lived around here since 1980.

Old 02-18-2015, 06:13 AM

729 posts, read 1,505,942 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Denise Stone View Post
Garrison Hills is beautiful. Can't beat the views

Old 05-21-2015, 10:01 PM

8,105 posts, read 6,754,341 times
Hey y'all, pulled the trigger on a crib in Weaverville today. I really like this place too. Just 3 blocks from downtown. I did a 1031 exchange so I have to rent it for a year and a day before moving in. Can't wait to be a Weavervillian. Is that right? Weavervillian?

Old 05-22-2015, 05:32 AM

11,113 posts, read 19,547,135 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Above Average Bear View Post
Hey y'all, pulled the trigger on a crib in Weaverville today. I really like this place too. Just 3 blocks from downtown. I did a 1031 exchange so I have to rent it for a year and a day before moving in. Can't wait to be a Weavervillian. Is that right? Weavervillian?

Congratulations AAB !

Old 05-22-2015, 07:29 AM

1,727 posts, read 2,426,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Above Average Bear View Post
Hey Sue, what is a circuit rider?

Sorry I just saw your question! A circuit rider was a preacher back when little churches couldn't afford an exclusive one. My granddaddy and his 4 brothers were all born in Weaverville. So those mountain people actually are my people.

Old 05-22-2015, 09:53 AM

1,324 posts, read 2,511,524 times
AAB, welcome to a great place to live! If you will need to decorate try Home Gear always interesting stuff to check out. Then the Crepier (sp?) for something yummy! What is a 1031?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina