Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina
 [Register]
Western North Carolina The Mountain Region including Asheville
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-28-2007, 11:01 AM

205 posts, read 989,800 times

Advertisements

Ok, so here I am again. I am lost on where to move that I drive myself crazy sometimes trying to debate it in my head, LOL. We have visited most of the areas in NC that we were thinking of (Asheville, Hendersonville, Boone, Charlotte, Hickory, etc) and I can't say that I was overwhelmingly taken by any one place...I am beginning to think that maybe NC isn't the right state for us, unless maybe someone can give me some new perspectives.
We want to live somewhere where it snows, but not massive snowfall, nor do I want the snow to melt in five minutes after the sunshines which, from what I understand, eliminates much of the state from Hickory east. I have been told it does not snow in Hickory either. My major concern is access to a hospital with a pediatric unit...I know of Brenners and Duke, but they are too far east...Asheville has a childrens hospital from what I understand, but I hear VERY few good things about Asheville on here.

I am just wondering if I am missing anything before I totally rule NC out. Thanks for any input!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-28-2007, 11:29 AM

47 posts, read 210,481 times
I know its natural to be uneasy about a place when it comes to moving. I just got back from Hickory about 2 weeks ago and once I was back, "weird forces" started pulling on me concerning the move. But I already purchased a house and I close on Dec 14th. I saw enough to convince me that NC is the place for me. Did I hit it perfect with the EXACT location? Maybe not...... but you can toss and turn all you want. But its a buyers market out there and only gonna be better next year. Sometimes you just have to put one foot forward and "GO FOR IT!"..... No place is ever gonna be perfect. You can nitpick anything to death. Just list your pro's and cons on a sheet of paper, go over each one with your family, and after you visit... roll with it. Once you make a decision, focus on the great things about the area you have chosen and worry about the things you can control. Good luck! sounds like you are doing all your homework!!

Jeff

Old 11-28-2007, 12:29 PM

648 posts, read 2,980,930 times
It sounds like Asheville is the only place in NC that meets your set criteria (snow + great hospital), and you may be disappointed by the low snow totals here lately. If Asheville didn't really appeal to you, it's probably time to look elsewhere...

Old 11-28-2007, 12:29 PM

Thanks! I know no one place will be perfect. We are moving no matter what...I am not reconsidering moving...I am just reconsidering NC...I just feel like there is something I am missing about the state...does that make sense? We are looking into GA and CO as well...I just don't know exactly where I want to be I guess.

Quote:
Originally Posted by B2BJUMBO View Post
I know its natural to be uneasy about a place when it comes to moving. I just got back from Hickory about 2 weeks ago and once I was back, "weird forces" started pulling on me concerning the move. But I already purchased a house and I close on Dec 14th. I saw enough to convince me that NC is the place for me. Did I hit it perfect with the EXACT location? Maybe not...... but you can toss and turn all you want. But its a buyers market out there and only gonna be better next year. Sometimes you just have to put one foot forward and "GO FOR IT!"..... No place is ever gonna be perfect. You can nitpick anything to death. Just list your pro's and cons on a sheet of paper, go over each one with your family, and after you visit... roll with it. Once you make a decision, focus on the great things about the area you have chosen and worry about the things you can control. Good luck! sounds like you are doing all your homework!!

Jeff

Old 11-28-2007, 02:16 PM

2,586 posts, read 9,104,547 times
Sounds like you need to be looking around Denver, Colorado rather than NC.

I'd agree that from your criteria, Asheville and the surrounding areas would be the only place around here that might work for you. Have you also looked around Charlottesville, VA? Not sure about snowfall, but that might be an option for you...and its beautiful up there!

Old 11-28-2007, 02:44 PM

I rencently started looking into VA...I have never been there so I am kinda looking at the state blind, lol. My hubby lived there for 2 years when he was a teenager, so he has a better grasp on the state than I do. I have read the forum for VA and I see there are a lot of mixed reviews..I guess it just depends on where you go. We are looking at Colorado Springs and I love it, but I am scared to death of THAT much snow...I want snow, but holy cow...It is perfect otherwise in almost every way. I will check Charlottesville, VA out and see what I turn up. Thanks for your input!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdp_az View Post
Sounds like you need to be looking around Denver, Colorado rather than NC.

I'd agree that from your criteria, Asheville and the surrounding areas would be the only place around here that might work for you. Have you also looked around Charlottesville, VA? Not sure about snowfall, but that might be an option for you...and its beautiful up there!

Old 11-29-2007, 06:54 AM

2,586 posts, read 9,104,547 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NeedAChangeFromFL View Post
I rencently started looking into VA...I have never been there so I am kinda looking at the state blind, lol. My hubby lived there for 2 years when he was a teenager, so he has a better grasp on the state than I do. I have read the forum for VA and I see there are a lot of mixed reviews..I guess it just depends on where you go. We are looking at Colorado Springs and I love it, but I am scared to death of THAT much snow...I want snow, but holy cow...It is perfect otherwise in almost every way. I will check Charlottesville, VA out and see what I turn up. Thanks for your input!!!
I've lived in Fort Collins, CO (50-60" of snow per year) and Flagstaff, AZ (100-120" /yr) and I can tell you the Colorado snow is not bad. The Springs has less snow than Denver and areas north, I think the average is around 40" per year.

What that means is that you'll have 2-4 decent snows (4-7") per season with a handful more small ones. The snow can fly from October to May, but most of the snowfall occurs in Feb-Mar. The big blizzards we hear about on the national news are not a common occurrance. They probably only happen about once every 3 years or so.

Due to the high elevation and intense sun in the area, the snow cover does not stick around long at all. I recall a day in Flagstaff where we woke to 14" of fresh snow and temps in the teens. I shoveled the drive and we drove to Phoenix for the day. Upon returning home that evening, we found that the only snow that remained was in the shady areas of our yard. That's right...14" melted in under 12 hours, and the temps only reached the high 30s!

Bottom line...don't let the snow scare you away from Colorado. Its really not bad at all.

Old 11-30-2007, 08:24 AM

1,912 posts, read 3,225,520 times
I am a firm believer that when you find that PERFECT spot for you, there will be no tossing and turning...you will just KNOW!

Old 11-30-2007, 08:29 PM

375 posts, read 912,904 times
Default Another teacher escaping FL.....

I'm still trying to find that perfect place as well - I went up to NC/SC mtns and Raleigh area over Thanksgiving, and will go back up there over Xmas...some of you may know that I have been looking for a cute, affordable town for myself and my 2 kids with a lower cost of living. I too want access to a decent hospital "just in case" for my 2 kids. I liked Honea Path in SC and LOVE LOVE LOVE all those cute little mtn towns with the artsy downtown like Waynesville, etc... I'm looking to stay on the low end of 100k or beneath if possible - do you guys have any great ideas of towns to check out on my next trip?

I am ready to make my decision -- I do tons of research online as well -- what do you see as the trend in real estate up there? Are there as many young people moving there as soon-to-be-retirees?
Thanks!

Old 12-01-2007, 05:44 AM

958 posts, read 2,621,907 times
you'll find little if anything, in livable condition, in Western NC (including Waynesville) around 100K. Sad but true. Wages are disproportionate to housing costs big time around here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina