Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina
 [Register]
Western North Carolina The Mountain Region including Asheville
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-19-2014, 12:46 PM

72 posts, read 146,130 times

Advertisements

Which area do you like better and why? We are more drawn to Black Mountain, but our realtor was trying hard to drive us to Weaverville.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-19-2014, 01:01 PM

11,113 posts, read 19,562,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Musingtree View Post
Which area do you like better and why? We are more drawn to Black Mountain, but our realtor was trying hard to drive us to Weaverville.

What is your shopping list of "wants" in a community. Price range, etc.? You're not giving us much to go on.

I like Mint Chocolate Chip ice cream. Which kind do you like?

Old 04-19-2014, 01:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuilterChick View Post
What is your shopping list of "wants" in a community. Price range, etc.? You're not giving us much to go on.

Well, mainly I was just interested in other opinions of why they prefer one area over another...

We want a safe, artsy area with loads of nature and outdoor activities, friendly people, family oriented events, etc. A nice grocery store would be nice. Price range is 200-350k. Lower is always better. The Unitarian Church in Black Mountain appealed to us since we don't have one where we live now and the closest one is nearly an hour away.

Old 04-19-2014, 01:13 PM

Quote:

Also, I like vanilla.

Old 04-19-2014, 01:51 PM

Quote:
Well, mainly I was just interested in other opinions of why they prefer one area over another...

We want a safe, artsy area with loads of nature and outdoor activities, friendly people, family oriented events, etc. A nice grocery store would be nice. Price range is 200-350k. Lower is always better. The Unitarian Church in Black Mountain appealed to us since we don't have one where we live now and the closest one is nearly an hour away.

Don't know why a Realtor would be trying to lead you to one area vs. another of those two. That could be construed as "steering" and is against the law. Especially since the Realtor does not give you reasons for why one area would suit you better according to what you told him/her.

My own personal choice would be Black Mountain somewhere around Tomahawk Lake if there is anything in there in your price range, but that is my preference because all the shops I like are there, it's an easy drive to Asheville, I like the restaurants there, and that feeling you get in BM of being up close to the mountains. But there again, it's a personal opinion. If you want to get into Asheville more often and quicker, then you might like Weaverville better. I like the rolling land in certain parts of Weaverville and Reems Creek, and highway access. But I personally like being a little further away from heavy traffic. Both are very safe towns. All of Western NC are artsy, family friendly, and welcoming. Your church criteria is important to you, so give more points to that aspect. Your price range of $200K to $350K is wide, and your choices are narrow From $200K to $275K. The average homes in those two areas, good condition, good resale etc., nicely situated, more likely will be $300K to $350K and should find you something very desireable.

I live in rural Henderson County, and don't mind driving to any town when I need a serious ice cream fix.

Best wishes on your decision.

Last edited by QuilterChick; 04-19-2014 at 01:59 PM..

Old 04-19-2014, 02:09 PM

Quote:
Don't know why a Realtor would be trying to lead you to one area vs. another of those two. That could be construed as "steering" and is against the law. Especially since the Realtor does not give you reasons for why one area would suit you better according to what you told him/her.

My own personal choice would be Black Mountain somewhere around Tomahawk Lake if there is anything in there in your price range, but that is my preference because all the shops I like are there, it's an easy drive to Asheville, I like the restaurants there, and that feeling you get in BM of being up close to the mountains. But there again, it's a personal opinion. If you want to get into Asheville more often and quicker, then you might like Weaverville better. I like the rolling land in certain parts of Weaverville and Reems Creek, and highway access. But I personally like being a little further away from heavy traffic. Both are very safe towns. All of Western NC are artsy, family friendly, and welcoming. Your church criteria is important to you, so give more points to that aspect. Your price range of $200K to $350K is wide, and your choices are narrow From $200K to $275K. The average homes in those two areas, good condition, good resale etc., nicely situated, more likely will be $300K to $350K and should find you something very desireable.

I live in rural Henderson County, and don't mind driving to any town when I need a serious ice cream fix.

Best wishes on your decision.
She was kind of aggressive and loaded a number of houses on our plate without getting a really good concept of what it is we wanted. Most of the houses we looked at did not fit our criteria. We'll be looking for a better realtor this time.

Thank you for your thoughts!

Old 04-19-2014, 02:26 PM

Quote:
She was kind of aggressive and loaded a number of houses on our plate without getting a really good concept of what it is we wanted. Most of the houses we looked at did not fit our criteria. We'll be looking for a better realtor this time.

Thank you for your thoughts!

Yes, it does sound like you need to find a more experienced Realtor who listens and spends time at your first meeting, and interview you and your wife as to your wants and needs. Someone who can take a map and highlight the areas and roads that may have what you like, and take a driving tour through those areas even before making an appointment to view the interior of homes. You have to "bond" with the agent and get that trust thing going pretty much right away. The entire home shopping experience is a process of elimination, but the agent has to be in tune with what matches your wish list. Not just "shotgun" a whole bunch of properties hoping one hits the mark.

On the other hand, it is important to say that agents don't always have an opportunity to get inside many of the listings on the market, only if they have shown them before, or have attended an open house. The agents who are professional and have the time, will preview some homes before showing them to you. I would always tell my clients upfront that "I have not seen this one before", "but have heard it may have what you like". Ask the agent what his/her experience is in the particular town, or has he/she sold property in that general area. It is also important that the agent doesn't go out of his/her service areas, you want someone that specializes in only a few areas or towns. Hope this helps.

Old 04-19-2014, 05:47 PM

Quote:
Yes, it does sound like you need to find a more experienced Realtor who listens and spends time at your first meeting, and interview you and your wife as to your wants and needs. Someone who can take a map and highlight the areas and roads that may have what you like, and take a driving tour through those areas even before making an appointment to view the interior of homes. You have to "bond" with the agent and get that trust thing going pretty much right away. The entire home shopping experience is a process of elimination, but the agent has to be in tune with what matches your wish list. Not just "shotgun" a whole bunch of properties hoping one hits the mark.

On the other hand, it is important to say that agents don't always have an opportunity to get inside many of the listings on the market, only if they have shown them before, or have attended an open house. The agents who are professional and have the time, will preview some homes before showing them to you. I would always tell my clients upfront that "I have not seen this one before", "but have heard it may have what you like". Ask the agent what his/her experience is in the particular town, or has he/she sold property in that general area. It is also important that the agent doesn't go out of his/her service areas, you want someone that specializes in only a few areas or towns. Hope this helps.
Yes. That is definitely great information and we will keep that in mind this next time. Thank you so much!

Old 04-20-2014, 01:18 PM

1,324 posts, read 2,513,117 times
Both places have lots of the amenities that you want. Think Weaverville has more grocery options and is closer to Asheville. Weaverville Art Safari is coming up if you are in the area. No Unitarian Church, sadly, but know several people who would be interested. We picked WV and love it here, great town friendly people open to newcomers. Good luck in finding the right spot

Old 04-20-2014, 01:42 PM

358 posts, read 786,728 times
Weaverville....of course.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina