Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina
 [Register]
Western North Carolina The Mountain Region including Asheville
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-06-2014, 01:13 PM

503 posts, read 926,346 times

Advertisements

Who's going to buy boomer's homes when they're gone, and they're not here to throw cash around? The generations following them do not have have the same wealth in order to be able to buy and retire here at current market valuation, and not every heir is going to want to live here. So they will sell, buyers will be fewer, and home values will consequently fall; how severely remains to be seen. With a market crash I can see it happening precipitously.

Last edited by daveatgso; 08-06-2014 at 01:23 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-06-2014, 01:20 PM

11,113 posts, read 19,530,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by daveatgso View Post
Who's going to buy boomer's homes when they're gone, and they're not here to throw cash around? The generations following them do have have the same wealth in order to be able to buy and retire here at current market valuation, and not every heir is going to want to live here. So they will sell, buyers will be fewer, and home values will consequently fall; how severely remains to be seen. With a market crash I can see it happening precipitously.

There will always be buyers, it might just take longer in a poor market, prices will be lower in a poor market. Heck, we just went through a 5 years downturn in the market, and we were at the tail end of the bad market; just starting to recover.

Keeps the statisticians and the naysayers busy. It is always simply Economics 101. Supply and demand.

Old 08-06-2014, 01:36 PM

Yes, there will always be buyers. Hanger Hall sold in the 70s for $25,000. In case you don't know, it was a 25-room, 5-story brick mansion with parquet floors, mahogany staircase, fireplaces in every room, etc, etc. Obviously for that price it needed a lot of work, and wasn't really in an ideal location; nevertheless it still reflects what happened here once. Still can.

Old 08-06-2014, 01:40 PM

Quote:
Yes, there will always be buyers. Hanger Hall sold in the 70s for $25,000. In case you don't know, it was a 25-room, 5-story brick mansion with parquet floors, mahogany staircase, fireplaces in every room, etc, etc. Obviously for that price it needed a lot of work, and wasn't really in an ideal location; nevertheless it still reflects what happened here once.

There is a huge difference between a normal home and a white elephant. Let's stick to apples and apples.

Old 08-07-2014, 05:28 AM

27,164 posts, read 43,857,618 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by QuilterChick View Post
What do you have to offer the OP. Neither relocation advice nor jobs.

Your reading comprehension appears to be lacking. Reread my quote slowly and mouth the words if you have to. What I said is in line with what you're saying. My point was that the "Asheville metro" is rather small (population wise) and cannot sustain the demand currently for those who want to move there in terms of employment options. Starting to sound similar yet?[/quote]

There is nothing wrong with my reading comprehension or my experiences living in this area for several years. I will forgive your insults for the present time due to your lack of knowledge about the area to which you, yourself, will add to the population, but not the economy.

The greater Asheville area, and Western NC in general, is a popular retirement area with totally different demographics from where you are now, in FL. It has always been a popular tourist and retirement area going back generations. And, going back generations, it was also an area popular for health reasons, people coming up in the summer from Charleston, FL, etc. for the climate to relieve their maladies in the fine weather and higher elevations.

Dave and Old Northstate are completely accurate in their posts, although I strongly disagree that this area will be prone to "bust" at any future time. Normal attrition and on a par most years with the economic conditions. The OP is asking about jobs in the area, and have been given reliable information from which they can make an informed decision about relocation.

Best of luck to you in your new venture as well.[/quote]

Sorry but you're completely missing the boat still in terms of comprehension given the fact that your back is still up. We started off with the same intent and you've clearly gone off the rails in terms of understanding that. I am very well aware of the demographic differences between FL and Western NC having visited the area since I was around 10 years old (now almost 55) and having researched my move rather extensively. My point that I'll make one more time is that the area has far more demand for suitable full-time employment than similar cities/metro areas it's size and as such makes the area a very difficult transition for those who are not work transfers with current employers, retirees, entrepreneurs, work from home types or independently wealthy.

Old 08-07-2014, 06:43 AM

I have no interest in furthering a discussion with you about the above. My reading comprehension is just fine, and my back feels great.

As I said, I wish you the best here; all you are adding to the community in general is one more gift shop, which we are already inundated with and provide nothing to the economy, except your own - if you're lucky. One thing I do agree with you on, is that Asheville has the perfect demographics for you personally.

Old 08-07-2014, 08:56 AM

1,603 posts, read 3,248,755 times
I read this today - I think it sums up what a lot of people are saying. I don't personally feel this way but I'm a lucky person and I know that each day. Some are just not that lucky.

Why I left Asheville |

Old 08-07-2014, 09:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Halo_in_reverse View Post
I read this today - I think it sums up what a lot of people are saying. I don't personally feel this way but I'm a lucky person and I know that each day. Some are just not that lucky.

Why I left Asheville |
That article painfully illustrates how Asheville lost it's soul because of outside money.

Old 08-07-2014, 10:04 AM

Quote:
That article painfully illustrates how Asheville lost it's soul because of outside money.

Yes; and how many times on this city-data have we advised and warned posters not to come here without securing a job first. Then, even as the article stated, they could lose that job in a heartbeat and not be able to find another suitable to their needs. Anyone coming here with marginal savings of less than one year's income or more, should rent until they are on a smooth path to making things work. Relocating a family, or even if you are single, is not something to take lightly for the average Joe and family.

The mountain area has always been more expensive than any of the examples given in the article. Land prices have always been high; in every tourist / non-industrial area. The marketing hype of "Asheville" makes everyone believe this is where they have to be, and they don't do enough homework. They fall in love on vacation. It takes several trips to the mountains to be sure you are making the right decision; and the majority of people do that. The locals and long term transplants and retirees give the best advice on here ... some people take it, and some don't, to their peril unfortunately.

Old 08-07-2014, 10:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuilterChick View Post
The mountain area has always been more expensive than any of the examples given in the article. Land prices have always been high; in every tourist / non-industrial area. The marketing hype of "Asheville" makes everyone believe this is where they have to be, and they don't do enough homework. They fall in love on vacation. It takes several trips to the mountains to be sure you are making the right decision; and the majority of people do that. The locals and long term transplants and retirees give the best advice on here ... some people take it, and some don't, to their peril unfortunately.
No it hasn't always been expensive here. It used to be dirt cheap. It didn't start getting expensive until after developers/city planners started advertising it in magazines.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina