Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina
 [Register]
Western North Carolina The Mountain Region including Asheville
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-23-2014, 05:38 AM

18,949 posts, read 43,621,102 times

Advertisements

Good unrestricted land seems hard to come by, unless it's out in the middle of nowhere. Most I'm finding seem to be in "developments". I hate golf, and have no interest in a community pool or gated entrance, nor do I want to build a 3,000 sq ft house.

What I'm finding interesting is how few places have city water, even near town, or in these fancy developments. Is this due to the terrain? I'm in south Alabama and even in the rural areas we have water co-ops. I don't think I've ever known anyone that had to drill a well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-23-2014, 06:39 AM

78 posts, read 85,865 times
Yes, good unrestricted land is hard to come by. When we were shopping we had about 25-30 parcels selected to look at, although only 8 or 9 of them were unrestricted (these were in NC, GA and TN). We looked at all the unrestricted first because that's what we really wanted, although we knew that if we had to go with restricted to realize our main goal, which is to build a house, we would. We were getting discouraged not finding "perfection", but the very last piece of unrestricted we had to look at was IT! No well, electricity or driveway, but we have time and are paying as we go, so with patience this will all be worth it. Plus, we ended up buying another piece adjacent that does have a well, but it needs a new pump. We consider that a good buy, though!

Old 09-24-2014, 07:37 AM

12 posts, read 12,809 times
Perfect!

Old 09-24-2014, 07:39 PM

4 posts, read 2,894 times
Question New to C-D and need help relocating

I am new to all of this so first, "Hello!"

I do not know how to start a new question, so please pardon my intrusion.

I live in "lovely" Cleveland, Ohio and I am looking for a job for both my ex husband and I...I can't move out of state with son without his permission because of the way Ohio wrote divorce decree, and that isn't going to happen...SO... I was lead here. I saw the most beautiful picture of Hot Springs that reminded me of all the doodles, drawings, and paintings I would make after dreaming of the perfect place to live. It always had two mountains and water between/under them sometimes a third mountain behind them in the distance. I also heard about people in the Asheville area that like survivalist type living/ homesteading and the like.

As a single mom with a 13 year old son, I need the best of all worlds, hence, WNC! He needs a good school district, as he has ADHD, yet he is very fluent in reading and comprehension. We both LOVE nature, and studying the sciences. For me biology and for him, geology. We also love to hike and like biking. We are people oriented/ very friendly and love animals. He is the sensitive and compassionate type who would take the lead in protecting innocent. I guess he takes after me in that respect as well. : )
I should have lived on a farm or a ranch; we'd both be happy!

His father, on the other hand, is quiet/reserved and keeps to himself, yet loves 80's rock and motorcycles. He is a bit of a marksman and is very proficient in his field of HVAC-R and is great at trouble shooting and is mechanically inclined. He had his boiler's license, but didn't renew it, and has driven a forklift. As his is 53yo, he is looking for something less physical, so I suggested learning about "green building and heating & cooling concepts." He hasn't looked into it yet, but i know it is a good idea. Sustainability and ecology is the future, IMO...

I would like to work at home, on the computer, or have a little store. I don't mind cashiering and light stocking, taking inventory, and ordering and don't mind supervising or doing paperwork. I was a girl scout, a GS Leader, and an Assistant Cub Master for the Cub Scouts and a Den Leader and have helped with three different camps as a counselor. I am a Certified Professional Nanny, but don't approve of traditional day care. I have been told I should have been a teacher, Like Miss Frizzle from the show, "The Magic Schoolbus"

Somehow, we need to find a place large enough for us to live and tolerate each other or an inexpensive duplex/ house with a Mother-in-Law suite.

This magical place needs to be rural enough for us to relax and unwind from living in the city and feed our spirits, yet close enough to a great school for out son and a place for both me and my son's father to work.

I have heard many of you talk about Weaverville and Brevard, but I fell in love with Hot Springs. But, I am not the only one with a stake in this move.

I would love anyone's and everyone's intelligent input, because I would like this to be my last move.

Thanks in advance and one day, I hope to meet with some of you!

Sincerely,

Robin Lennae

Old 09-24-2014, 07:54 PM

SO SORRY! i APOLOGIZE! i think I figured out how to "post a new thread?" Please go there to assist reply to my questions as to not intrude. Again, I am sorry for my inexperience...

Old 09-24-2014, 11:02 PM

22,974 posts, read 65,527,721 times
Its ok Robin, looks like you figure how to start a thread already. There is many wonderful members on this forum who will help guide you.
Welcome

Old 09-25-2014, 05:56 PM

14 posts, read 16,233 times
hey we live right a cross from ingles is the ingles on tunnel rd.we have been here 2 years and we love it.i know you will be happy.and welcome to your knew home.dana

Old 09-26-2014, 08:56 AM

Thank you SunnyKayak and Dana! I did post it, but sadly, no replies. Maybe because it was too much to read? I was rather specific and it got 70 reads, so ??? Let me know if you think I should post something shorter?
I will look in Ingels; thank you! I saw where another family was looking to relocate, and they sound just like me. It would be a dream come true to move where I felt like I was among friends and Like minded people...I can't wait to visit and not come back...lol

Best Regards!

Robin Lennae

Old 09-26-2014, 12:34 PM

11,113 posts, read 19,547,135 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin Lennae View Post
Thank you SunnyKayak and Dana! I did post it, but sadly, no replies. Maybe because it was too much to read? I was rather specific and it got 70 reads, so ??? Let me know if you think I should post something shorter?
I will look in Ingels; thank you! I saw where another family was looking to relocate, and they sound just like me. It would be a dream come true to move where I felt like I was among friends and Like minded people...I can't wait to visit and not come back...lol

Best Regards!

Robin Lennae

Robin, 'Ingles' is a grocery store chain. Tunnel Road is a very busy commercial road that runs through a commercial area of Asheville. There some neighborhoods off that road.

It is difficult for us to give any advice on where you should zero in on unless we have more specifics about what you actually need. Start with price range; apartment or home? condo or? Land? # of rooms, large house, small house.

Most important, do you have a length of time that you can be self supporting until you get settled into a job? or pay rent for a year ?

Your posts are too broad to answer at this point.

Old 09-27-2014, 02:39 PM

14 posts, read 16,233 times
robin we live off tunnel rd in riceville in the country but we are near asheville and every thing.there are a lot of homes here that sound like your family might like.beautiful views of the mountains and quite.it is worth a look.we love it but it is country.good luck hope all goes well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina