Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina
 [Register]
Western North Carolina The Mountain Region including Asheville
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-08-2015, 06:59 AM

19 posts, read 20,131 times

Advertisements

Hello, all! I've just retired on the last day of 2014 (New Years Eve), and am continuing/expanding my efforts in getting rid of junk, selling on ebay, Craigslist, etc., in preparation of leaving Northwest New Jersey.

So I'm taking a breather, after walking the dog in 2°, drinking my coffee, and was wondering..........Do they salt the roads in the Asheville area? (Looking at buying a house actually in one of the areas outside of Asheville, .......Weaverville, Candler, Black Mountain, or even Waynesville........) Or is sanding a predominant method of battling slick roads? Or??? I appreciate any response you may have.......

Thanks so very much!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-08-2015, 09:00 AM

497 posts, read 969,012 times
NCDOT: Safety Tips List

Scroll down to the section under "Use of Salt Brine". I haven't seen sand used in the City of Asheville yet, but this is only our second winter here. Last year there was only one snow of any consequence of about 8". Our little street had a contractor with a plow fly around a few days later, mostly tearing up people's flower beds. The neighbors salted the hill coming up the street. Merrimon Ave was heavily salted.

Old 01-08-2015, 08:09 PM

2,103 posts, read 4,471,745 times
Both. It depends on the situation, Road section, temps, and available supplies.

Old 01-10-2015, 08:41 AM

88 posts, read 83,161 times
Agreed that it depends on the situation. After the first big snow in your neighborhood you'll note the order of priority for the city's schedule; it's different than you might expect but will be consistent in the larger storms.

Old 01-10-2015, 02:03 PM

1,096 posts, read 1,047,308 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ljber View Post
Agreed that it depends on the situation. After the first big snow in your neighborhood you'll note the order of priority for the city's schedule; it's different than you might expect but will be consistent in the larger storms.

Right, there's a priority to the roads. Interstates > State highways > local highways and main roads > local streets > private streets.

Old 01-10-2015, 03:23 PM

11,113 posts, read 19,544,173 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ApePeeD View Post
Right, there's a priority to the roads. Interstates > State highways > local highways and main roads > local streets > private streets.

Which private streets get plowed by state/local ? Residents on private streets pay to have their roads plowed, and maintained.

Old 01-10-2015, 05:52 PM

4,790 posts, read 10,611,895 times
OP: With the slight to light snow cover that much of Asheville area receives each winter, (other than an occasional big snow), the roads don't present a problem, imo.

School buses don't run on some roads, some days; if one is commuting from the top of a 4,000 to 5,000+ ft mtn, it may be a problem on a few days.

What snow occurs is generally of short stay duration, other than some north facing roads or at high elevation. Much of western NC, other than where nuts like I live, is not northwestern NJ. I lived in NJ/NY for ~30 yrs and the usual lower climes that most people move to in western NC are not forbidding or even problematic, winter-wise.
GL, mD

Old 01-11-2015, 10:12 AM

19 posts, read 20,131 times
Thanks so much for the input, everyone! What good people you are to respond to a question I just kind of dreamed up, and was a bit curious about. It was kind of equivalent to scratching an itch, or figuring out what 42 down is on a crossword puzzle; but more importantly, it shows the helpful spirit of this forum. Thank you so very much!

Old 01-11-2015, 02:53 PM

1,096 posts, read 1,047,308 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by QuilterChick View Post
Which private streets get plowed by state/local ?
They don't. Sooooo... /hands you a snow shovel and a bag of sand.

Old 01-11-2015, 05:09 PM

11,113 posts, read 19,544,173 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ApePeeD View Post
They don't. Sooooo... /hands you a snow shovel and a bag of sand.

That is what I said. Private roads get plowed and maintained privately, by the residents who own the road(s), buy their own shovels and buy their own sand.

Please don't mislead people relocating here to believe differently with a misplaced attempt at "humor".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina