Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina
 [Register]
Western North Carolina The Mountain Region including Asheville
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-18-2015, 01:27 PM

251 posts, read 244,464 times

Advertisements

QuilterChick...I've considered Chattanooga too. I have read good things about it and a friend's sister lives there and loves it. I may have ruled it out for some reason but I need to go back and see "the list". Prescott I've looked at and pretty much ruled out due to the overabundance of halfway houses and also it gets so cold there. But that's not to say we won't check it out when we go to AZ. We did like Weaverville when we visited I think Hendersonville might be a little conservative for me but I could be wrong. You know, generalizations can be dangerous so its not ruled out but it just might not be for us. I don't know. I know right now I live outside of Dallas and I feel like I've been in prison for the past 20 years. If not for my husband's job there's no way we'd live here. I've never been to St Augustine. That may be another trip for us. I don't see us having time for the west coast and N Fl in the same trip.

ComSens, you do make good points The flatness and the lack of seasons is part of what's unappealing to me but that doesn't mean it won't work. I need to get past just not wanting to go back to where I grew up. So we're looking at the west coast. I grew up in Southeast Florida and there's no way I'd ever go back there again. When I go visit my parents, usually I'm not even out of the airport before I want to leave. We're visiting the west coast (we went to college in Tampa) in May. Right now we're focusing on Dunedin, Clearwater-St Pete-Gulfport, Venice, Cape Coral. But like I said, I'm totally open to suggestions. When we went to NC, I knew I was interested in the area around Asheville. With AZ, I know outside of Phoenix is it (maybe Prescott) b/c my brother is there. But with Fl...its wide open except for the southeast coast. Zero chance of that happening.

Thanks, you guys, for the suggestions ....and just the interest!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-18-2015, 01:28 PM

8,963 posts, read 8,911,705 times
Yes, as a South FL native, South FL sux. There are some really nice areas but forget being able to afford them.

I dont know much about the coastal areas of SC that QSizzle mentioned above. I'd also endorse St Augustine, Amelia Island, Fernandina Bch, Ponte Vedra Bch. Also Lake Mary, Winter Springs and Oviedo of Central FL. New Smyrna Bch is also nice. I saw a nice and new beautiful house across the street from the beach in New Smyrna Bch for 450k. Front view was the beach, rear view from the porch was the river. 2500 sq ft home. Built in 2008.

Old 01-18-2015, 01:47 PM

6,350 posts, read 11,580,635 times
If you want the hippie vibe then it is definitely Asheville over JC. JC is close enough for weekend visits but not everyday, obviously. IMO Asheville wins out over all those cities except St Augustine. Small towns with the hippie vibe are Floyd VA and I've heard, Dahlonega GA.

What is your budget?

Old 01-18-2015, 01:54 PM

We'd like to keep from 250-385K. Is that doable outside of Asheville? Like the Weaverville area? We saw a house we fell in love with (like so much in love I was sorry I even saw it!) but it was in Leicester and we just felt like it was a little too remote. Like, I liked that it was remote but on the other hand it would be nice to be able to order pizza delivery and also not be so far from a doctor's office. And to be closer in for socializing. It was a shame though b/c I really did love that house. But I guess it was good that we weren't ready to buy anyway. Will definitely look more into St Augustine. I think I took it off the list b/c I kept reading that crime was bad there.

Old 01-18-2015, 03:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by amyps View Post
We'd like to keep from 250-385K. Is that doable outside of Asheville? Like the Weaverville area? We saw a house we fell in love with (like so much in love I was sorry I even saw it!) but it was in Leicester and we just felt like it was a little too remote. Like, I liked that it was remote but on the other hand it would be nice to be able to order pizza delivery and also not be so far from a doctor's office. And to be closer in for socializing. It was a shame though b/c I really did love that house. But I guess it was good that we weren't ready to buy anyway. Will definitely look more into St Augustine. I think I took it off the list b/c I kept reading that crime was bad there.

St Augustine DOES NOT have high crime, by any means. St Aug is in St Johns Co, which is like the 2nd safest county in the state, and also St Johns Co is 2nd in best schools in the state. So overall, St Johns Co is really nice.

Old 01-18-2015, 03:58 PM

Thats really good to know! Its so helpful to hear from a "real" person and not just something online. Thanks so muchfor the input

Old 01-18-2015, 04:00 PM

No problem!

Old 01-18-2015, 04:35 PM

1,727 posts, read 2,423,675 times
I lived in AZ for a year. I thought I thought I was some sort of cowgirl, which wasn't the case. But I tried. Anyway, I lived in a town called Pinetop. It's in the White Mtns., a little remote. It was 1.5 hours from Phoenix through the Salt River Canyon. I liked it. But I couldn't stop missing home. So I came back east. It was a great experience and I'm glad I did it.

Old 01-18-2015, 05:24 PM

497 posts, read 968,383 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by creeksitter View Post
If you want the hippie vibe then it is definitely Asheville over JC. JC is close enough for weekend visits but not everyday, obviously. IMO Asheville wins out over all those cities except St Augustine. Small towns with the hippie vibe are Floyd VA and I've heard, Dahlonega GA.

What is your budget?
http://www.ashevillechamber.org/site...kings-2014.pdf

Here's a summary of the various "Best of Lists" for Asheville. Note that none of these include "Best of Hippie Vibe." This whole hippie reference is an overdone outdated myth. People want to move here based on the positives referenced in these lists: natural environment, entertainment, including the "foodie culture", wellness focus, climate, progressive attitude,best overall living location, etc. The hippie culture is a very minor draw, if any at all. I doubt that there are many "hippies" reading this forum and deciding this is where they want to move to.

Old 01-19-2015, 06:06 AM

91 posts, read 112,769 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ComSense View Post
Our summers suck and are long. But in the winter, what would you rather have 70 degrees and sunny, or 39 degrees and grey skies?!?
This. Truthfully though, I'd rather have the 39 and cloudy, because that could mean snow is on the way. Plus, MOUNTAINS.

In my opinion, FL is only worth living in if you're close to the beach. Where I live we have tons of springs (Rainbow, for example) that are absolutely gorgeous and our schools are good as well, but it is TOO HOT for my taste. You cannot beat the cost of living in my area though. I used to live in Clearwater and while it's nice there, you need to earn a lot to live really nice.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina