Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina
 [Register]
Western North Carolina The Mountain Region including Asheville
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-21-2015, 12:16 AM

2 posts, read 5,573 times

Advertisements

Hi, I would like to retire somewhere in the North Carolina Mountains. Would anyone have a say as to where or what town in the NC Mountains would be best for someone who has only visited a few places in NC. I love cooler weather and have visited a few places such as the Blue Ridge area, Blowing Rock, Boone. But I would like to see if there are other such cozy, lovely towns with something to do, and places to live where my husband and I can make a newer life for ourselves. We are in our mid fifties and are thinking of locating to the NC Mountains. Can anyone who knows a great deal of some other areas in the hills tell us what you think and where you suggest we look. Even though we would like to retire, we would also like to continue working as long as we can, just so we could stay busy and keep moving for health reason. Not a good idea to just sit around all the time. We want to stay somewhat active in our old (young) age. We want to make the mountains our home, and any replies would be welcome. Plz send replies to [email]justblieve06@yahoo.com[/email]. Thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-21-2015, 02:16 AM

1,409 posts, read 1,961,003 times
Ashville is just lovely. But it's a city rather then a small mountain town, but it's still worth checking out.

Old 01-21-2015, 08:10 AM

4,218 posts, read 8,532,029 times
The best advice I can give you, besides reading the Western NC sub-forum here on C-D, is to make visits as often as you can to different areas. Use your weekends to make road trips. Our State magazine is a great resource. Check out their online articles, or better yet, read back issues at your local library and start a subscription. They even have an online quiz: Where’s Your Perfect N.C. Mountain Destination?. Have fun!

Old 01-21-2015, 08:18 AM

13,374 posts, read 27,049,417 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toni Spivey View Post
We want to make the mountains our home, and any replies would be welcome.
Do some reading in the Western NC sub-forum. You might like Weaverville, Black Mountain, Boone, Flat Rock, etc. Please consider how isolated you want to be. The small cities like Hendersonville and Waynesville will offer amenities like health care and senior centers you might not find in a very small town.

Old 01-21-2015, 09:04 AM

11,113 posts, read 19,547,135 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toni Spivey View Post
Hi, I would like to retire somewhere in the North Carolina Mountains. Would anyone have a say as to where or what town in the NC Mountains would be best for someone who has only visited a few places in NC. I love cooler weather and have visited a few places such as the Blue Ridge area, Blowing Rock, Boone. But I would like to see if there are other such cozy, lovely towns with something to do, and places to live where my husband and I can make a newer life for ourselves. We are in our mid fifties and are thinking of locating to the NC Mountains. Can anyone who knows a great deal of some other areas in the hills tell us what you think and where you suggest we look. Even though we would like to retire, we would also like to continue working as long as we can, just so we could stay busy and keep moving for health reason. Not a good idea to just sit around all the time. We want to stay somewhat active in our old (young) age. We want to make the mountains our home, and any replies would be welcome. Plz send replies to justblieve06@yahoo.com. Thank you!
Toni, here are some very nice mountain town suggestions for you within a radius of Asheville. Not in any order of recommendation though; they are all nice, cozy as you say, with plenty of things to do. One caveat though: if you will need to find jobs, do research for jobs first. If you are retired, congratulations!

Weaverville, Waynesville, Black Mountain, Hendersonville, Mills River, Brevard, Etowah, Flat Rock, Fairview/Cane Creek area and Hooper's Creek area; Fletcher, parts of Arden.

Old 01-21-2015, 12:13 PM

3,767 posts, read 4,530,699 times
If you like cooler weather I think Blowing Rock, Boone or Banner Elk would be a good choice. They have a bit higher elevation than the Asheville area. All great towns!
Quilter, the OP did state in her first sentence that they will be retired

Old 01-21-2015, 01:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Booya View Post
If you like cooler weather I think Blowing Rock, Boone or Banner Elk would be a good choice. They have a bit higher elevation than the Asheville area. All great towns!
Quilter, the OP did state in her first sentence that they will be retired
Read on further Booya: "Even though we would like to retire, we would also like to continue working as long as we can,"

Let's see if they reply with better information. The also don't tell us what their time frame is for moving to NC. Months, years ?

Old 01-21-2015, 07:12 PM

2,201 posts, read 1,876,676 times
Sapphire Valley, Cashiers , Highlands and Brevard and Hendersonville some friends live in Lake Toxaway.

Old 01-22-2015, 10:09 AM

69 posts, read 99,310 times
Having been a full-time resident of Watauga county, I would recommend looking at Asheville area. A little touristy but it has everything you would need, including a major airport. Areas like Boone, Banner Elk, Blowing Rock, Ashe County, etc. are nice for part-time summer-time living (usually Floridians that have second homes). GoldenAge1 said "Please consider how isolated you want to be. The small cities like Hendersonville and Waynesville will offer amenities like health care and senior centers you might not find in a very small town." -- SO TRUE. While Boone does have a hospital, most residents travel to Johnson City, TN or Winston Salem for major medical needs; and there are numerous times Medi-Vac is used to transport patients off-the-mountain. Google maps will be your friend to help you see the distance between locations - and keep in mind winters in the High Country can be rough (if you are coming from the North, you will be disappointed with the road maintenance during winter months). Lake Lure (Asheville area) is great.

Old 01-22-2015, 10:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by openmike View Post
Sapphire Valley, Cashiers , Highlands and Brevard and Hendersonville some friends live in Lake Toxaway.

Except for Hendersonville and Brevard, the others are rather isolated, out of the way; and quite expensive, with no access to an interstate. Nice area for a second home though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina