Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina
 [Register]
Western North Carolina The Mountain Region including Asheville
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-12-2015, 10:11 AM

11,113 posts, read 19,547,135 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Booya View Post
Well QuilterChick I can assure you that I do not misinform my fellow posters. Please refrain from confusing opinion with facts

Actually I never stated that Hendersonville has mainly retires but noted that it is an older population.

OK. Everyone has an opinion based on their experiences. There are more retirees here between June and October, for sure; because they have second homes here and come up from FL.

You originally said:

"The only thing about Hendersonville is that it does have a older population. There are families there too but it seems to be skewed to retires. If this doesn't bother you then I say try there. But some people don't like this."

Four high schools in a small area like Hendersonville must indicate all the students are residents. (And a high percentage of lower grade schools as well.)

Posters from out of state need to be able weigh their options because most have never been here. Hendersonville is comprised of a high percentage of families. It has nothing to do with my beliefs. I also would recommend to the OP that they consider Weaverville, just a hop, skip and jump to Asheville. It will depend on how close to Asheville they need or want to be and mainly, their housing budget. All in all, they have received good information from everyone to begin their search and I wish them the best.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-12-2015, 10:23 AM

161 posts, read 237,637 times
I'd like to be close enough to all the cool stuff in the area yet away from tourists. Every season up here in NH brings tourists. Leaf peepers in the fall, skies and snowmobilers in the winter. Hikers and bikers in the spring and boaters and lakers and bikers all summer. I'd like to be a few miles outside of all that. I want to find a spot and stay there and retire there. I've got time but I want a more relaxed place to raise my daughter.

Old 03-12-2015, 10:29 AM

3,767 posts, read 4,530,699 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by QuilterChick View Post
OK. Everyone has an opinion based on their experiences. There are more retirees here between June and October, for sure; because they have second homes here and come up from FL.

You originally said:

"The only thing about Hendersonville is that it does have a older population. There are families there too but it seems to be skewed to retires. If this doesn't bother you then I say try there. But some people don't like this."

Four high schools in a small area like Hendersonville must indicate all the students are residents. (And a high percentage of lower grade schools as well.)

Posters from out of state need to be able weigh their options because most have never been here. Hendersonville is comprised of a high percentage of families. It has nothing to do with my beliefs. I also would recommend to the OP that they consider Weaverville, just a hop, skip and jump to Asheville. It will depend on how close to Asheville they need or want to be and mainly, their housing budget. All in all, they have received good information from everyone to begin their search and I wish them the best.
Yes my dear quilterchick I am quite aware of what I wrote thank you! I am sorry you seem to so resent people who "come up from Florida. And I stand by my assertion that Hendersonville is skewed to retires. And thank you in advance for allowing myself and others to, along with you, share our thoughts and observations.

Old 03-12-2015, 10:49 AM

395 posts, read 462,999 times
Quote:
There are more retirees here between June and October, for sure; because they have second homes here and come up from FL.
Yes, I am sure there are. However, I find there are more people over 65 in general in H'ville, compared to most other towns. Ratio-wise, the amount of people over 65 to people under 65 is quite a bit higher than is natural. And one definitely feels it when being in H'ville. Absolutely nothing against aging or being among old people, but I think it would feel better if it would be more proportionate. In H'ville I find it is disproportionate, no matter what time of year.

Quote:
The four high schools are Henderson County schools and don't just serve Hendersonville. I believe they are also for the surrounding towns such as Mills River, Etowah, Flat Rock, East Flat Rock. East Hendersonville High School, for example, is acutally in the town of East Flat Rock and serves parts of Hendersonville and East Flat Rock as well.

Old 03-12-2015, 11:09 AM

395 posts, read 462,999 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TeamWalsh317 View Post
I'd like to be close enough to all the cool stuff in the area yet away from tourists. Every season up here in NH brings tourists. Leaf peepers in the fall, skies and snowmobilers in the winter. Hikers and bikers in the spring and boaters and lakers and bikers all summer. I'd like to be a few miles outside of all that. I want to find a spot and stay there and retire there. I've got time but I want a more relaxed place to raise my daughter.
We moved here from the Northeast end of last summer. I had no idea how heavy tourism was in this area and I am still blown away by how difficult it is to find a trail that isn't full of other people appreciating the great outdoors along with us. I don't know how far out from Asheville you would need to move to really get away from the tourists. Hiking trails, mountain biking trails, waterfall activities, kayaking, camping, and all of those great outdoor things, bring loads and loads of tourists to all over WNC just about every season, it seems, with perhaps less in the winter.
If being away from tourists is important to you, this does not seem to be the area for that at all. The word is out and people know beauty when they see it. They all want a piece of it, even if just for a short while. Can't blame them, though. hehe. Its' one of the reasons we moved here, after all.

Old 03-12-2015, 11:12 AM

11,113 posts, read 19,547,135 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lukasage View Post
Yes, I am sure there are. However, I find there are more people over 65 in general in H'ville, compared to most other towns. Ratio-wise, the amount of people over 65 to people under 65 is quite a bit higher than is natural. And one definitely feels it when being in H'ville. Absolutely nothing against aging or being among old people, but I think it would feel better if it would be more proportionate. In H'ville I find it is disproportionate, no matter what time of year.

The four high schools are Henderson County schools and don't just serve Hendersonville. I believe they are also for the surrounding towns such as Mills River, Etowah, Flat Rock, East Flat Rock. East Hendersonville High School, for example, is acutally in the town of East Flat Rock and serves parts of Hendersonville and East Flat Rock as well.

Yes, all the high schools serve Henderson County. It would be interesting to see a survey, if one actually exists. Tourist areas such as Asheville itself, due to a high percentage of marketing, does attract more retirees. The mountains and the ocean states also attract retirees. Not only retirees, but families wanting to get away from large city living and the stress that brings. Many families move here also because they want to be near family who have relocated.

The only drawback I've noticed is that, for families, or those expecting to have the same income level they had before must be very astute in doing research on employment in the area. And that is true for any relocation requiring employment, other than corporate transfers.

I would say, and others may agree, that the traffic in all of Western NC is about 40% less in the off season when the tourists have returned to other areas. I have no problem with Floridians, my goodness. I'm even considering buying another condo there in a few years myself.

Old 03-12-2015, 11:49 AM

5,842 posts, read 4,177,467 times
It appears Booya is correct: 30.2% of Hendersonville's population is over age 65. For the state of North Carolina, the number is only 12.9%. For Asheville, it's 16.3%.

http://quickfacts.census.gov/qfd/states/37/3730720.html

Old 03-12-2015, 11:58 AM

161 posts, read 237,637 times
Surprisingly I have talked to a few Employers and just from e mails they have offered me more money than I make in NH. Even when I say I'm not planning on moving till spring of 16 they say well contact us when you move and we will make room for you. Housing costs looks similar to NH. We are in the beginning stages of planning this move. We are debt free so that helps a lot. But basically we will be working our way from the bottom up. So if we have to start over lets do it someplace nice.

Old 03-12-2015, 12:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wittgenstein's Ghost View Post
It appears Booya is correct: 30.2% of Hendersonville's population is over age 65. For the state of North Carolina, the number is only 12.9%. For Asheville, it's 16.3%.

Hendersonville (city) QuickFacts from the US Census Bureau
Hey thanks for the data!

And there is nothing wrong with Hendersonville having a population skewed older. In fact they bring a lot of good to a community for sure.

I just believe if someone is thinking of relocating that knowing certain facts is helpful. Sometimes people with a young family would prefer a different demographic.

Too, some have noted that the senior population in Hendersonville seem somehow older than other senior populations (ie the active adults in Colorado) in other areas.

Old 03-12-2015, 12:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeamWalsh317 View Post
Surprisingly I have talked to a few Employers and just from e mails they have offered me more money than I make in NH. Even when I say I'm not planning on moving till spring of 16 they say well contact us when you move and we will make room for you. Housing costs looks similar to NH. We are in the beginning stages of planning this move. We are debt free so that helps a lot. But basically we will be working our way from the bottom up. So if we have to start over lets do it someplace nice.
Wow. That is amazing, and surprising to me. One always hears that the NW pays more, lower wages in NC etc. I don't know what kind of work you do but sounds promising!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina