Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina
 [Register]
Western North Carolina The Mountain Region including Asheville
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-22-2016, 09:09 PM

212 posts, read 265,414 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Above Average Bear View Post
I was trolling the dairy isle checking out the tattooed hipster chicks.
Good man.

We're gonna need an AWD. Didnt get very far today.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-23-2016, 06:48 AM

4,791 posts, read 10,615,390 times
Yes to an AWD vehicle in the future, (lots of choices), and putting on dedicated snow tires from mid Nov through early April.

Tires are much of the solution for winter season, and it appears you will be at some elevation for living, and you and your wife like to get out and go see/do stuff.

I've remarked before, but outstanding photos in your thread...

With your downsized new house you will keep the visitors/moochers away.
GL, mD

Old 01-23-2016, 11:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by motordavid View Post
Yes to an AWD vehicle in the future, (lots of choices), and putting on dedicated snow tires from mid Nov through early April.

Tires are much of the solution for winter season, and it appears you will be at some elevation for living, and you and your wife like to get out and go see/do stuff.

I've remarked before, but outstanding photos in your thread...

With your downsized new house you will keep the visitors/moochers away.
GL, mD
Thank mD. Definitely snow tires for the winter. We are looking into a Mazda CX-5 or possibly a Subaru.

This is down in Arden; looks like it's finally blowing over!

10am:

1pm:

Old 01-23-2016, 02:49 PM

644 posts, read 670,879 times
Quick pics today from our property - managed to get there in my husband's truck although most roads don't seem to have been plowed since sometime yesterday. The little state road we're building on had not been plowed at all, we got as far as our driveway and a few feet in but no more! I tried hiking in towards the build but the snow started coming in my boots - some drifted areas were well over a foot deep.

Area perspectives, building questions and the dream becoming reality.-winter-wonderland-1-.jpg

Area perspectives, building questions and the dream becoming reality.-winter-wonderland.jpg

Area perspectives, building questions and the dream becoming reality.-winter-wonderland-2-.jpg

Last edited by DLM2000; 01-23-2016 at 03:01 PM..

Old 01-23-2016, 03:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by evensen007 View Post
Thank mD. Definitely snow tires for the winter. We are looking into a Mazda CX-5 or possibly a Subaru. ...
There are quite a variety of AWD vehicles on the mkt these days, in all shapes and sizes, and prices.

Subies are cult like in western NC. I would look at the plethora of brands and narrow it down, and then maybe wait until 'Spring' if you can. A couple winter snows and the car dlrs rub their hands waiting for the hoi polloi to come running in the dlr door looking for AWD, in Jan/Feb.

If one wants to avoid the time consuming and wheel damaging process of changing from summer/all season (no season) tires to dedicated winter tires every year, a set of cheap azz steel wheels in the proper size with winter tires mounted, takes about 30 mins to swap out DIY in your garage, vs hauling tires to the tire joint and having the tire 'tech' gouge the hell out of your fine normal wheels.

A good set of winter tires should last 3-4 seasons, depending on the mileage put on for those few months, in my experience.

There were days when we could not negotiate our very steep north facing downhill section of deep snow/ice covered road down from the ridge on Eagle's Nest Mtn, so we stayed in. But, with dedicated snows on wheels a couple sizes smaller than the big wide 19s we run, our AWD was like a mtn goat, and we could get down, and back up most any day.

Otoh, if you don't really have to leave your new place, one can be stocked up and wait out the melt.

GL, mD

Old 01-23-2016, 03:37 PM

11,113 posts, read 19,549,944 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DLM2000 View Post
Quick pics today from our property - managed to get there in my husband's truck although most roads don't seem to have been plowed since sometime yesterday. The little state road we're building on had not been plowed at all, we got as far as our driveway and a few feet in but no more! I tried hiking in towards the build but the snow started coming in my boots - some drifted areas were well over a foot deep.

Attachment 164901

Attachment 164900

Attachment 164897

That is a gorgeous lot ! Did you have to do a lot of clearing, or was it a clear lot to begin with?

Old 01-23-2016, 04:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuilterChick View Post
That is a gorgeous lot ! Did you have to do a lot of clearing, or was it a clear lot to begin with?
Thanks QC! It was mostly clear, we cleaned up the perimeter, took out some scrub and let our showpiece oak breathe.

Old 01-23-2016, 05:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DLM2000 View Post

Attachment 164901

Attachment 164900

Attachment 164897
Wow, Deb! Fantastic! That looks absolutely beautiful. It looks like you got WELL over a foot out there. Where does that little bridge go to; do you have a creek on the property? I'm jealous!

Quote:
Originally Posted by motordavid View Post
There are quite a variety of AWD vehicles on the mkt these days, in all shapes and sizes, and prices.

Subies are cult like in western NC. I would look at the plethora of brands and narrow it down, and then maybe wait until 'Spring' if you can. A couple winter snows and the car dlrs rub their hands waiting for the hoi polloi to come running in the dlr door looking for AWD, in Jan/Feb.

If one wants to avoid the time consuming and wheel damaging process of changing from summer/all season (no season) tires to dedicated winter tires every year, a set of cheap azz steel wheels in the proper size with winter tires mounted, takes about 30 mins to swap out DIY in your garage, vs hauling tires to the tire joint and having the tire 'tech' gouge the hell out of your fine normal wheels.

A good set of winter tires should last 3-4 seasons, depending on the mileage put on for those few months, in my experience.

There were days when we could not negotiate our very steep north facing downhill section of deep snow/ice covered road down from the ridge on Eagle's Nest Mtn, so we stayed in. But, with dedicated snows on wheels a couple sizes smaller than the big wide 19s we run, our AWD was like a mtn goat, and we could get down, and back up most any day.

Otoh, if you don't really have to leave your new place, one can be stocked up and wait out the melt.

GL, mD
David, the reason I would try something other than a Subaru is *because* they are so cult like. On the other hand, they are very popular for a reason. We were thinking of buying an AWD during the summer; maybe it would be the most reasonable. We are most likely going to buy used (1-2 years old) so it may not matter as much. We like the Mazda CX-5 but are still looking at other things from Jeep, Subaru etc.

Old 01-23-2016, 06:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by evensen007 View Post
David, the reason I would try something other than a Subaru is *because* they are so cult like. On the other hand, they are very popular for a reason. We were thinking of buying an AWD during the summer; maybe it would be the most reasonable. We are most likely going to buy used (1-2 years old) so it may not matter as much. We like the Mazda CX-5 but are still looking at other things from Jeep, Subaru etc.
I wasn't pumping Subies... Just remarking that there are lots of AWD cars/smaller SUVs on the mkt these days. Agree on the slightly used idea, and summer..

Apology if I sounded like I was giving car lectures; I love cars/m'cycles and just slid into my western NC car tips and opins mode.
GL, mD

A couple years ago we rolled in from one our trips seeing our Kids in NJ in late October, and as we had taken the VetteVert for something different, I left it in the driveway overnight after unpacking. Next morning, Surprise! Oct snow...

Old 01-24-2016, 09:04 AM

[quote=evensen007;42747854]Wow, Deb! Fantastic! That looks absolutely beautiful. It looks like you got WELL over a foot out there. Where does that little bridge go to; do you have a creek on the property? I'm jealous!

Chris that bridge goes over the creek to the original estate property and house - we bought the barrier property. The creek runs the whole south side of our property and our lot line goes to the middle of it. We love watching the trout fry swimming and have seen muskrat hanging around, too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina