Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina
 [Register]
Western North Carolina The Mountain Region including Asheville
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-02-2017, 05:07 PM

5,126 posts, read 7,411,405 times

Advertisements

Evensen007, thanks for posting your progress. What can I say? Some people are just meant to be here.

Congratulations for making it happen!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-03-2017, 10:56 AM

96 posts, read 113,013 times
Chris, really enjoying this thread, thanks for keeping it going.

I am in a similar situation in that we are packing up here in Debary, Fl and heading up that way. I also am in IT, actually I'm a nurse that works in informatics, so I am able to work from home. While we would love to buy land and build, at this time we are just going to brave the real estate market up there and hope for the best.

While your posts on land hunting and now building have been interesting, the thing that has encouraged me the most is that you have described how great the move has been for you. We question ourselves often and have been nervous in the past that we had romanticized the area while we were on vacation over the past 10 years. You hit the nail on the head for me as to why you left central Florida and how satisfying it is to live your lives in the mountains.

So thanks again and keep the updates coming.

Old 02-04-2017, 08:52 AM

126 posts, read 138,124 times
Great thread, I am rooting for you.

Now in our 40's with kids, my wife and I had the same dream as you to move to NC (from IL) and live in the mountains when we were in our 20's. We are avid cyclists/hikers as well and vacationed to Pisgah/Asheville many times. Well life kept getting in the way and we never did it so BIG congrats to you guys!

On that note, we actually may be moving to Greenville, SC this summer so we are excited nonetheless and plan to be in the mountains every weekend if so.

Again, awesome thread and good luck! I will be watching and vicariously living your dream.

Old 02-04-2017, 09:32 PM

38 posts, read 43,558 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyStark View Post

I am in a similar situation in that we are packing up here in Debary, Fl and heading up that way. I also am in IT, actually I'm a nurse that works in informatics, so I am able to work from home. While we would love to buy land and build, at this time we are just going to brave the real estate market up there and hope for the best.

While your posts on land hunting and now building have been interesting, the thing that has encouraged me the most is that you have described how great the move has been for you. We question ourselves often and have been nervous in the past that we had romanticized the area while we were on vacation over the past 10 years. You hit the nail on the head for me as to why you left central Florida and how satisfying it is to live your lives in the mountains.

LadyStark, we're practically neighbors! We live over in Port Orange but I graduated from Stetson University back in 2003 so pretty close to you guys! Wishing you and your family all the best as you make that move from muggy, buggy central Florida. My hubby and I were born and raised here and ready for a refreshing shift in mindset and quality of life. Take care and keep us posted! 🙌🏼

Old 02-05-2017, 06:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akremi9503 View Post
LadyStark, we're practically neighbors! We live over in Port Orange but I graduated from Stetson University back in 2003 so pretty close to you guys! Wishing you and your family all the best as you make that move from muggy, buggy central Florida. My hubby and I were born and raised here and ready for a refreshing shift in mindset and quality of life. Take care and keep us posted! 🙌🏼
Will do! It is one of those things that we have talked about fo so long that we can't believe it is happening. Still lots to do, but we are moving along. I am going to start another thread soon and update it for those interested. I know that those types of post are so helpful to me! Hopefully you will be on your way soon also 😊

Denise

Old 02-06-2017, 06:16 AM

212 posts, read 265,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Akremi9503 View Post
I have been following your story and wanted to share how happy I am for you and your wife. Being native floridians who are sick of the heat, high crime, crowds, and rude people, we fell in love with WNC all over again when we visited for the first time in 15-20 years last summer (I grew up going to my grandparents' timeshare in sapphire valley and my hubbby toured Mars Hill University as a potential college back in the day). I have generations of ancestry in the mountains and have always felt home there. It's so nice to see that you made your dream a reality and it inspires us to do the same. We have visited several times since last summer and are seriously considering a rental property for now to slowly transition us and make some money in the process. We have two boys so it's a big move but we're very excited about the possibilities!! Wishing your family all the best as you bask in the glory of the mountains. All this Daytona beach native gets right now is Race Week...so needless to say I'm a little jealous!
That sounds like a really solid plan. I lived in Sanford before leaving, so I know all about what you are dealing with. I took a short stint at Orlando Health right before I left thinking that it would be a good way to get my foot in the door at the hospital system up here. I had to drive I-4 rush hour for 2 months before a miracle happened and i got a call from the hospital up here for an interview. It was 2 of the most depressing months of my life. I would leave O.health (Lee road/John Young area) and fight stop and go traffic for over an hour just to get 20 miles home down the road. When our house is built, my commute will be the Blue Ridge Parkway for 20 minutes. DO IT!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shooting Stars View Post
Evensen007, thanks for posting your progress. What can I say? Some people are just meant to be here.

Congratulations for making it happen!
I thank my lucky stars every day. This is now the home of my dreams.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyStark View Post

As hard as this was for my wife and I, we wouldn't change a thing. It has changed our life immeasurably. We are so thankful to be here and love every single minute. Buying is a solid choice. Lots of options and choices.

I actually just moved over to the Clinical informatics side of the house from Engineering. Here we have Clinical and Nursing Informatics. Our team builds Cerner for the hospital, while the Nursing Informatics group is more involved with interfacing with the floors to help improve the workflow. My current project is building out all the tracking boards (mainly E.D.) and building positions. Small world; looking forward to hearing about your progress!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pryde1 View Post
Great thread, I am rooting for you.

Now in our 40's with kids, my wife and I had the same dream as you to move to NC (from IL) and live in the mountains when we were in our 20's. We are avid cyclists/hikers as well and vacationed to Pisgah/Asheville many times. Well life kept getting in the way and we never did it so BIG congrats to you guys!

On that note, we actually may be moving to Greenville, SC this summer so we are excited nonetheless and plan to be in the mountains every weekend if so.

Again, awesome thread and good luck! I will be watching and vicariously living your dream.
Greenville is awesome! It's close enough to the mountains, and the downtown area blows DT Asheville away. It's like central park in NYC. Very modern, clean and up and coming. You will love it there. You would only be 30 minutes from Flat Rock and some serious mountains on the NC side. Hope to hear more about it soon!

Old 02-06-2017, 08:01 AM

126 posts, read 138,124 times
Greenville is great for sure and Dupont SF is only 45 minutes or so north for great mountain biking and hiking (one of out favorite spots for hiking and biking).

Another great hike is Black Balsam Knob area off of the BRP in the Pisgah NF... Bald hike with draw-dropping views and fresh blueberries to eat and take home.

Again, best of luck to you and looking forward to your progress.

Old 02-06-2017, 09:24 AM

@evensen007
I also can build in Cerner and I have built many FN tracking shells ��. I currently manage an clinical informatics team. It is a small world, maybe our paths will cross at some point.

Old 02-15-2017, 08:04 AM

156 posts, read 147,563 times
Awesome thread.. we just decided on a 2 year timeline to build in WNC area

Old 03-21-2017, 02:06 PM

212 posts, read 265,350 times
Putting the building misery of the past 3 months behind us. New builder prospects, new possibilities on our house. We are hopeful and excited for the first time in months. Happy Spring everyone!

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina