Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina
 [Register]
Western North Carolina The Mountain Region including Asheville
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-21-2008, 01:28 PM

5 posts, read 16,540 times

Advertisements

Hi, I have a job offer from Lowes and I'll be moving to North Wilkesboro from California. I have a 5 year old son who will be starting kindergarten this year. I'll appreciate if any one can provide me information on which area I shd be looking to move. Good school is the main criteria. I tried to find out details on apartments in North Wilkesboro but couldn't find any on sites like apartments.com and apartmentguide.com. How much is generally rent there and what sites I should be looking for rental listings. My son likes to play soccer, tennis. here in california he is attending training classes for these, I couldn't get any details on city web site for any such training in wilkesbore or nearby. I'll appreciate any info. Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-21-2008, 01:31 PM

1,261 posts, read 4,270,554 times
School report cards for Wilkes County schools:

Advanced Search Results Page

I'm sorry I can't help you with your other questions.

Old 07-22-2008, 11:44 AM

2,586 posts, read 9,100,818 times
For better schools and more organized activities for kids, you might consider living in western-Watauga County (Deep Gap/east side of Boone) and commuting "down the mountain" to Wilkes. I don't know about apartments in Wilkes, however most apartments in Boone are geared towards the students at ASU. However, you could probably find a great home or cabin in the woods as a long-term rental.

Old 07-22-2008, 03:05 PM

12 posts, read 31,202 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by New_in_NC View Post
Hi, I have a job offer from Lowes and I'll be moving to North Wilkesboro from California. I have a 5 year old son who will be starting kindergarten this year. I'll appreciate if any one can provide me information on which area I shd be looking to move. Good school is the main criteria. I tried to find out details on apartments in North Wilkesboro but couldn't find any on sites like apartments.com and apartmentguide.com. How much is generally rent there and what sites I should be looking for rental listings. My son likes to play soccer, tennis. here in california he is attending training classes for these, I couldn't get any details on city web site for any such training in wilkesbore or nearby. I'll appreciate any info. Thanks
Its been about 10 years since I lived in that area. First and foremost, Wilkes County is a BACKWOODS county. By that, I mean you will be reminded of the comic strip "Snuffy Smith." With that in mind, you most likely will be pleased with the relative low cost of living. The only realtor that pops out in my mind is Sherrill Faw Faw Realty - North Wilkesboro, Wilkes County, North Carolina (http://www.fawhomes.com/rentals.asp - broken link) There are of course others, but I've personally rented from Faw Realty. I give them good reviews; customer service is great and maintenance is even better. Though you should bear in mind that I said it has been about 10 years since I lived in the area. As far as areas to move, Wilkes County is actually pretty geographically diverse. You have the real backwoods people who live miles from anyone and may or may not have luxuries such as electricity. There are also some upscale areas in the Millers Creek / Cricket communities. In the um, "downtown" area of North Wilkesboro, there is even a slight urban feel, complete with parking garages and shuttered factories. How old is your son? To the best of my knowledge, all of the high schools in Wilkes County offer soccer and tennis as extracurricular activities. I don't know if the YMCA offers training for those sports. I know there are various sports programs, but I'm not sure what sports they specialize in. Luckily, the local newspaper, The Journal Patriot Wilkes Journal Patriot - Welcome usually only has stories, articles and advertisements that are 100% Wilkes County. They rarely carry anything from the outside world. Good luck with the move. Wilkesboro is definitely different from California. Edit: Sorry, I just noticed your son is 5 years old. Check with the YMCA or maybe a church youth group. I know there are baseball and football youth leagues, but I am not 100% sure about tennis or soccer. I know soccer was getting pretty popular in the area when I was there.

Last edited by googoodan; 07-22-2008 at 03:18 PM..

Old 08-01-2008, 10:04 PM

7 posts, read 31,398 times
Default advice for anyone moving to the carolinas

north wilkesboro, NC and wilkesboro NC, and Wilkes County, NC-- heck North Carolina and South Carolina in a nutshell too:

hi. congrats on your job offer. i would double-check with your contact if you are going to be working in wilkes or not as they are moving most of their corporate functions closer to charlotte. moving to wilkes will lock you into a very long commute after December if you are working in the new buildings. if you are indeed going to be in wilkes, (aka wilkesboro or north wilkesboro) you will most likely be in the mall building which is actually a mall that lowes bought and converted to offices. mind you... that a mall failed here should tell you something of the area!

i am originally from a metropolitan area with over 8 million people, but am here because of an offer from lowes also. that said, I have a few observations which may or may not be of interest to someone used to civilization and all the amenities it has to offer. I am being very critical here, but in so doing am also being honest.

I expect many locals to be up in arms, and I'm sorry if they flood your post with how absolutely wonderful this area is-- which it is NOT unless you were born here and have never been outside of the Carolinas! Every place has positives and negatives, but unless you are compensated well, the negatives here are detrimental to your future financial, educational, and familial success... well at least compared to northern/western states anyway!

NEGATIVES:

1) get used to everyone greeting you with the phrase !how are you!. all day, every day. whereas the rest of the world says a simple hello or good morning and then lets you go on about your business-- they have to ask you a question down here-- and they expect an answer as it is considered 'bad manners' to ignore it. it never stops, and it gets VERY annoying if you are not born to it or if you do not have the time for chit-chatting. apparently everyone down here always has time for chit-chat!

(personal opinion: that is not a function of southern hospitality as they would like you to believe, more an aspect of southern bible mentality of trying to get into your business lol and convert you as there is literally some kind of worship place every 2 miles in the south. the only people who should be asking you that question are those who know you, not complete strangers, in my humble opinion. it comes across as nosy and fake, as a complete stranger really doesn't want to know how you are.

plus, in a work setting, it invites distraction and wasting of time as you are forced to spend time actually talking to everyone you meet-- and if you are walking to the cafeteria to get a cup of coffee, plan on being gone for at least 45 minutes from all the conversations you'll feel you have to have.)

2) if the compensation is good, its for a reason as there is absolutely positively nothing to do in all of wilkes county. everything shuts down at like 8pm, and the biggest attraction is a wal-mart (and it is not even a super wal-mart). that should tell you alot... the only 2 businesses left are lowes and tyson chicken-- the locals have run all the other business away and the local politicians just about have run lowes out too. there is NO fine dining. the service at the local chain eateries and other restaurants is sub-par at best. it won't be what you are used to! Closest real movie theatre is 30+ minutes away, up a long mountain road.

3) even boone is no better. don't let the natives guile you into thinking otherwise. plus if you do, you'll be wasting a ton of money on gas and brake repair going 'up and down the mountain' daily as they say. it has a nice appeal of a college town-- but a VERY SMALL college town. keep that in mind! it is NO northern or western university town.

4) there is no culture or entertainment in a county (or the neighboring ones) with a population base as small as this is. or one with such a paltry economy for that matter... how could there be!

5) education... ahhh. well, if the thought of your children learning a 'cute' southern dialect is appealing then you will be fine. but if you are a native californian, where they actually pronounce words correctly, in time you will find the accent very... um... ignorant sounding. as for the 'locals' who will undoubtedly clamor in defense of their home region-- I would point out that a federally funded study on linguistics recently proved that the southern dialect evolved from lazy patterns of speech. basically shortcuts to pronounciation. and i will personally add that they like to put letters into words where they do not exist. prime example is the name of the very region here... they add a "t" to appalacia. feel free to check any dictionary (appalachia - Definitions from Dictionary.com) to see how the word is pronounced and then you will laugh when you come here! it is like pronouncing california 'cala-fort-cha'

6) seriously... on education... you need to consider that the primary determinant of the quality of the area's educational offerings is directly tied to the local economy. even the locals cannot argue with that. your child will probably be able to skip a grade (or two) when they arrive! see if there is advanced placement available wherever you end up so your kid does not get bored doing the work that his peers are doing. if he gets bored he might lose good work and study habits!

7) you will need to get used to people driving exactly at-- or way under-- the speed limit quite frequently. this also counts on the inner lanes of the expressways. and they don't care to move over either lol...

8) you will most likely be spending money on satellite radio and TV, given the quality of local offerings in the carolinas.

9) there are FEW-- and I mean very few social outlets here for adults as well as children. that is, unless you like your social activities centered around a baptist church. then there's more options! (yay!)

10) plan on spending more time trying to find things to do with your kids, or more money on movie/game rentals than ever before. unless you are into the country thing...

11) if i had the choice between california or here? unless you are absolutely sick of CA, NC is definitely NOT a good move for the long term.

12) plan on spending lots on gas money here... everything and I do mean absolutely everything is far apart from everything else. whoever told you to try looking west of Boone must think you are getting a 6-figure salary and don't mind an hour commute!

13) get used to very narrow local roads. and heaven forbid they squeezed4 lanes into a road plainly meant for 2! again, no money to properly expand the roads down here...

14) a rediculous law that if your vehicle plate sticker/tags expire even by one day that you must pay a large fine, as your insurance company is obligated by law to report you to the state. and I think it might be a mandatory appearance in court! not sure though.

15) locals here have no sense of north/south/east/west. trust me on that one... for example the east coast is 'the north' to them. and the roads all reflect that crazy directional quality with how they are named-- it will take getting used-to!

16) realistically, find a town in CA that has the same population AND distance from any MAJOR source of population (if possible) and that might be a good indicator of what you find here.

17) the biggest social 'thing' here is an annual folk music festival on the local community college... which draws millions into the local economy and basically sustains it for the rest of the year! that's it!

18) can't forget this one... get used to styles from the 60's!!!!! the kids might be more modern, but many of the older native carolinians have haircuts and clothing from that period... its like a mix of the brady's-meets-big-hair-80's-bands! wow!

POSITIVES

1) you will like the weather. the storms are fantastically intense, but also fantastically short in duration. even the ones from hurricane weather patterns.

2) you will get along with others from this state who shriek in fear when a single snowflake falls. they close schools and businesses for entire COUNTIES when there is like 1/8 inch of snow! (not sure if this is a positive)

3) the trees are beautiful in the fall

4) you will save a ton of money if you are of that mindset! I've managed to squirrel away over 50,000 in one year alone which would have certainly been spent in the city-- i have learned to go without down here quite nicely!

5) you will feel much smarter than you did before as long as you deal with native carolinians. it does well to boost your confidence and ego as you are always 9 steps ahead of them...

all in all, a nice place to visit, but definitely not a place to live for a long period unless you are retiring or happily married and focused on building a traditional southern family unit. The carolinas are either for retired people, or a brady-bunch/little-house-on-the-prairie mentality.

Please don't be swayed by any locals who have never lived out of this state for any length of time!

Old 08-01-2008, 11:14 PM

45,218 posts, read 100,694,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoneCenturion View Post
north wilkesboro, NC and wilkesboro NC, and Wilkes County, NC-- heck North Carolina and South Carolina in a nutshell too:

hi. congrats on your job offer. i would double-check with your contact if you are going to be working in wilkes or not as they are moving most of their corporate functions closer to charlotte. moving to wilkes will lock you into a very long commute after December if you are working in the new buildings. if you are indeed going to be in wilkes, (aka wilkesboro or north wilkesboro) you will most likely be in the mall building which is actually a mall that lowes bought and converted to offices. mind you... that a mall failed here should tell you something of the area!

i am originally from a metropolitan area with over 8 million people, but am here because of an offer from lowes also. that said, I have a few observations which may or may not be of interest to someone used to civilization and all the amenities it has to offer. I am being very critical here, but in so doing am also being honest.

I expect many locals to be up in arms, and I'm sorry if they flood your post with how absolutely wonderful this area is-- which it is NOT unless you were born here and have never been outside of the Carolinas! Every place has positives and negatives, but unless you are compensated well, the negatives here are detrimental to your future financial, educational, and familial success... well at least compared to northern/western states anyway!

NEGATIVES:

1) get used to everyone greeting you with the phrase !how are you!. all day, every day. whereas the rest of the world says a simple hello or good morning and then lets you go on about your business-- they have to ask you a question down here-- and they expect an answer as it is considered 'bad manners' to ignore it. it never stops, and it gets VERY annoying if you are not born to it or if you do not have the time for chit-chatting. apparently everyone down here always has time for chit-chat!

(personal opinion: that is not a function of southern hospitality as they would like you to believe, more an aspect of southern bible mentality of trying to get into your business lol and convert you as there is literally some kind of worship place every 2 miles in the south. the only people who should be asking you that question are those who know you, not complete strangers, in my humble opinion. it comes across as nosy and fake, as a complete stranger really doesn't want to know how you are.

plus, in a work setting, it invites distraction and wasting of time as you are forced to spend time actually talking to everyone you meet-- and if you are walking to the cafeteria to get a cup of coffee, plan on being gone for at least 45 minutes from all the conversations you'll feel you have to have.)

2) if the compensation is good, its for a reason as there is absolutely positively nothing to do in all of wilkes county. everything shuts down at like 8pm, and the biggest attraction is a wal-mart (and it is not even a super wal-mart). that should tell you alot... the only 2 businesses left are lowes and tyson chicken-- the locals have run all the other business away and the local politicians just about have run lowes out too. there is NO fine dining. the service at the local chain eateries and other restaurants is sub-par at best. it won't be what you are used to! Closest real movie theatre is 30+ minutes away, up a long mountain road.

3) even boone is no better. don't let the natives guile you into thinking otherwise. plus if you do, you'll be wasting a ton of money on gas and brake repair going 'up and down the mountain' daily as they say. it has a nice appeal of a college town-- but a VERY SMALL college town. keep that in mind! it is NO northern or western university town.

4) there is no culture or entertainment in a county (or the neighboring ones) with a population base as small as this is. or one with such a paltry economy for that matter... how could there be!

5) education... ahhh. well, if the thought of your children learning a 'cute' southern dialect is appealing then you will be fine. but if you are a native californian, where they actually pronounce words correctly, in time you will find the accent very... um... ignorant sounding. as for the 'locals' who will undoubtedly clamor in defense of their home region-- I would point out that a federally funded study on linguistics recently proved that the southern dialect evolved from lazy patterns of speech. basically shortcuts to pronounciation. and i will personally add that they like to put letters into words where they do not exist. prime example is the name of the very region here... they add a "t" to appalacia. feel free to check any dictionary (appalachia - Definitions from Dictionary.com) to see how the word is pronounced and then you will laugh when you come here! it is like pronouncing california 'cala-fort-cha'

6) seriously... on education... you need to consider that the primary determinant of the quality of the area's educational offerings is directly tied to the local economy. even the locals cannot argue with that. your child will probably be able to skip a grade (or two) when they arrive! see if there is advanced placement available wherever you end up so your kid does not get bored doing the work that his peers are doing. if he gets bored he might lose good work and study habits!

7) you will need to get used to people driving exactly at-- or way under-- the speed limit quite frequently. this also counts on the inner lanes of the expressways. and they don't care to move over either lol...

8) you will most likely be spending money on satellite radio and TV, given the quality of local offerings in the carolinas.

9) there are FEW-- and I mean very few social outlets here for adults as well as children. that is, unless you like your social activities centered around a baptist church. then there's more options! (yay!)

10) plan on spending more time trying to find things to do with your kids, or more money on movie/game rentals than ever before. unless you are into the country thing...

11) if i had the choice between california or here? unless you are absolutely sick of CA, NC is definitely NOT a good move for the long term.

12) plan on spending lots on gas money here... everything and I do mean absolutely everything is far apart from everything else. whoever told you to try looking west of Boone must think you are getting a 6-figure salary and don't mind an hour commute!

13) get used to very narrow local roads. and heaven forbid they squeezed4 lanes into a road plainly meant for 2! again, no money to properly expand the roads down here...

14) a rediculous law that if your vehicle plate sticker/tags expire even by one day that you must pay a large fine, as your insurance company is obligated by law to report you to the state. and I think it might be a mandatory appearance in court! not sure though.

15) locals here have no sense of north/south/east/west. trust me on that one... for example the east coast is 'the north' to them. and the roads all reflect that crazy directional quality with how they are named-- it will take getting used-to!

16) realistically, find a town in CA that has the same population AND distance from any MAJOR source of population (if possible) and that might be a good indicator of what you find here.

17) the biggest social 'thing' here is an annual folk music festival on the local community college... which draws millions into the local economy and basically sustains it for the rest of the year! that's it!

18) can't forget this one... get used to styles from the 60's!!!!! the kids might be more modern, but many of the older native carolinians have haircuts and clothing from that period... its like a mix of the brady's-meets-big-hair-80's-bands! wow!

POSITIVES

1) you will like the weather. the storms are fantastically intense, but also fantastically short in duration. even the ones from hurricane weather patterns.

2) you will get along with others from this state who shriek in fear when a single snowflake falls. they close schools and businesses for entire COUNTIES when there is like 1/8 inch of snow! (not sure if this is a positive)

3) the trees are beautiful in the fall

4) you will save a ton of money if you are of that mindset! I've managed to squirrel away over 50,000 in one year alone which would have certainly been spent in the city-- i have learned to go without down here quite nicely!

5) you will feel much smarter than you did before as long as you deal with native carolinians. it does well to boost your confidence and ego as you are always 9 steps ahead of them...

all in all, a nice place to visit, but definitely not a place to live for a long period unless you are retiring or happily married and focused on building a traditional southern family unit. The carolinas are either for retired people, or a brady-bunch/little-house-on-the-prairie mentality.

Please don't be swayed by any locals who have never lived out of this state for any length of time!
LOL, yeah, right.

There are so many inaccuracies in this post but instead of wasting any time on pointing out what they all are, I'll just say this to anyone else reading: Beware of newbies who show up like this with so much inflammatory stuff to say

Old 08-02-2008, 07:36 AM

4,218 posts, read 8,526,967 times
Despite some of the above posts, there ARE a few educated and enlightened people who live in Wilkes County. I used to be a fundraising consultant and conducted a capital campaign for the local art museum (yes, there is one) a few years ago. The local library in downtown N. Wilkesboro is beautiful and speaks volumes (pun intended) for the priorities of the local leadership. The local community college is one of the most progressive in NC, especially for a largely rural area. Even though Lowe's has moved a lot of jobs out of the county, their corporate presence has added a lot of value to the local community over the years.

If you check out Willkes County schools and are not satisfied, the suggestion for living in eastern Watauga County is not a bad one. With Appalachian State University (started out as a teachers college and the education dept is still one of its best), Watauga County has one of the best school systems in NC.

I'm not saying that you won't experience some degree of culture shock in moving from CA to Wilkes County, but if you come with an open mind and open heart, you might be pleasantly surprised.

Old 08-02-2008, 05:20 PM

451 posts, read 1,565,160 times
Default New in N.C.

Winston-Salem is just about as close to Wilkesboro as Boone is, and you would not have to climb the mountain. As far as Lonecenturion's ignorant and narrowminded post, I was going to reply but my son said, Mom, don't feed the troll.

Old 08-02-2008, 05:40 PM

45,218 posts, read 100,694,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Catbirds View Post
Winston-Salem is just about as close to Wilkesboro as Boone is, and you would not have to climb the mountain. As far as Lonecenturion's ignorant and narrowminded post, I was going to reply but my son said, Mom, don't feed the troll.
Your son is a very wise young man

Old 08-16-2008, 01:40 PM

7 posts, read 31,398 times
Default truth hurts lol

I retract everything I said.

The locals are perfect and we should all aspire to be more like them.

Last edited by LoneCenturion; 08-16-2008 at 02:42 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina