Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina
 [Register]
Western North Carolina The Mountain Region including Asheville
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-14-2015, 10:54 AM

1,683 posts, read 812,148 times

Advertisements

I went to the Lowes near Banner Elk and it seemed really nice, sort of like a Publix. Clean enough to eat off the floor as they say in hyperbole.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-14-2015, 01:29 PM

395 posts, read 462,999 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by poppydog View Post
Ingles is fine the way it is, thanks. It ain't fancy, but it ain't bottom barrel, either.
I'm sure it isn't because the bottom of the barrel Ingles is in Hendersonville on Spartanburg Hwy., right by Greenville Hwy.. I went in there once, saw all the sad and wilted produce, lack of selection for just about anything, then dealt with an equally wilted cashier (couldn't blame her - I'd be looking sad and droopy too if I had to work there). That was the only time I have ever been in an Ingles. That experience and the fact that I would have had to give them all of my personal information to get their sale prices (no store card as an option with Ingles), turned me off to the company completely. I much prefer Harris Teeter who have a good selection of organic foods, are clean, have generally friendly employees, and are happy to offer the use of a store card so a customer can get the sales prices without having to give all their personal info.

Old 09-14-2015, 05:12 PM

12,799 posts, read 16,341,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lukasage View Post
I much prefer Harris Teeter who have a good selection of organic foods, are clean, have generally friendly employees, and are happy to offer the use of a store card so a customer can get the sales prices without having to give all their personal info.
The Boone Ingles does all that for us. Good selection of produce, including organics, and I've had the cashier swipe a store card more than once when we've forgotten ours. Sorry you had a bad experience. Ingles on 105 isn't the Buckingham Palace of grocery stores, but it's nice enough. I'd druther go there than the Harris Teeter in Boone because that's about 2.5 miles further down the road and more traffic.

Old 09-14-2015, 08:45 PM

21,023 posts, read 27,256,961 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lukasage View Post
I'm sure it isn't because the bottom of the barrel Ingles is in Hendersonville on Spartanburg Hwy., right by Greenville Hwy.. I went in there once, saw all the sad and wilted produce, lack of selection for just about anything, then dealt with an equally wilted cashier (couldn't blame her - I'd be looking sad and droopy too if I had to work there). That was the only time I have ever been in an Ingles. That experience and the fact that I would have had to give them all of my personal information to get their sale prices (no store card as an option with Ingles), turned me off to the company completely. I much prefer Harris Teeter who have a good selection of organic foods, are clean, have generally friendly employees, and are happy to offer the use of a store card so a customer can get the sales prices without having to give all their personal info.
Ingle's Markets #77 (625 Spartanburg Highway, Hendersonville, North Carolina 28792-5762) is getting a replacement store. ("Ingle's Markets #77, Spartanburg Highway, Hendersonville, North Carolina.") The existing store has been open for 35 years.

Publix does not have a card program like Food Lion, Harris Teeter, Ingle's, or Lowe's Foods.

Old 09-15-2015, 05:07 AM

69 posts, read 99,310 times
Publix will prosper. Ask the Floridians. HT will suffer. Publix prices beat HT, Lowes and Ingles. Hard to believe driving a few minutes more to save $$$ and have a better grocery experience is a hassle. Everything on the mountain is expensive (relatively speaking) so if publix stays true to its reputation, it will be great.

Old 09-15-2015, 07:48 AM

1,199 posts, read 1,553,504 times
My time is worth $$$. So if the drive takes an extra 15 minutes, and I only save a couple of bucks, I don't bother. It's like if someone called and said "Hey, I found three dollars on the ground here. Why don't you come out and pick it up? It's only 5 miles one way". Would you go?

Old 09-15-2015, 07:55 AM

1,199 posts, read 1,553,504 times
Also, not sure what the Ingles stores around everyone else look like, but the ones around here are brand new with a Starbucks inside, and are the best looking grocery stores I've ever seen. Movie rentals, incredible beer selection, great deli/bakery. Only thing that comes close in this area are the newer Lowes Foods locations.

Old 09-15-2015, 08:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollywood View Post
Also, not sure what the Ingles stores around everyone else look like, but the ones around here are brand new with a Starbucks inside, and are the best looking grocery stores I've ever seen. Movie rentals, incredible beer selection, great deli/bakery. Only thing that comes close in this area are the newer Lowes Foods locations.
Ingle's is replacing or has replaced its video departments with pharmacies and Redbox kiosks. Ingle's Gas Express/I-Market are convenient and competitively priced for fuel. I have not tried Starbucks yet.

If Ingle's sees an opportunity to be competitive with a new store 84, it may take that direction. Ingle's Markets, which usually owns its store sites, does not own any property in Watauga County.

Old 09-15-2015, 08:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdyGourmet View Post
Publix will prosper. Ask the Floridians. HT will suffer. Publix prices beat HT, Lowes and Ingles. Hard to believe driving a few minutes more to save $$$ and have a better grocery experience is a hassle. Everything on the mountain is expensive (relatively speaking) so if publix stays true to its reputation, it will be great.
Boone will have five supermarket chains with Food Lion, Harris Teeter, Ingle's, Lowe's Foods, and Publix. Everyone will be competing beyond price for business. I wonder if there will be too much competition to the point an inferior competitor exits.

Old 09-15-2015, 09:31 AM

369 posts, read 460,324 times
I'm not a fan of the Ingles in Boone. I prefer all of the other grocery stores over it. It is a bit grimy looking and I don't think their generics are very good. I do like their loaded potato salad though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina