Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina
 [Register]
Western North Carolina The Mountain Region including Asheville
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-02-2015, 03:30 PM

2,103 posts, read 4,468,873 times

Advertisements

Just an FYI the blue ridge parkway is now being closed as of NOW due to falling trees. Sigh. All my favorite things about fall are being ruined by this rain.

News Releases - Blue Ridge Parkway (U.S. National Park Service)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-02-2015, 03:56 PM

4,787 posts, read 10,602,776 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lukasage View Post
Which seems a rather inviting idea with this continuous dreary, damp weather... I can see why the Irish, Scots, and English have such a propensity for the pubs, mate!
My paternal grandmother came from Edinburg; I am part Scot...I have a half dozen different single malts in the pantry and I am going to have a couple/three fingers full in a glass, while I have the chicken on the grill outside.

Poifect weather for a scotch while dinner is grilling: 48 degs, an occasional cold breeze, fogged in to the window wall, and raining.

GL, mD

Old 10-02-2015, 06:05 PM
RVT

367 posts, read 771,396 times
Looks like we might avoid the worst of it, at least as far as today is concerned. WLOS was calling for it to be pouring down now and it's just drizzling with not much on the radar heading our direction.

Old 10-02-2015, 06:15 PM

14,186 posts, read 22,727,826 times
Too much of a good thing, if you ask me. After a long, hot summer like the one the coastal Southern states had, I enjoy cool, rainy days in the fall, especially on the weekends because they give you an excuse to sleep in, be lazy and watch football all day. Problem is, the way the weather pattern is, some places will get 10"+ of rain this weekend, which is too much. If it was just for a day or two, and the rainfall measured no more than 2" or so, then it'd be perfect, but this event could be disastrous in places, especially since it's been rainy for over a week now.

Old 10-02-2015, 07:25 PM

14,268 posts, read 18,923,606 times
I'm in Macon County and we're supposed to get the heaviest rainfall on Saturday, over 3 inches. Otherwise, it has been raining steadily (but not torrentially) for days, but the roads are clear.

Where am I on that map? (post #3)

Hope everyone stays safe.

Old 10-02-2015, 07:34 PM

4,787 posts, read 10,602,776 times
^ Look again at the map, (it actually left out a county or two):
Look at lower left area of NC, where the 6.25 covers part of it. Macon County is the county directly below the 'anvil' base of Swain County above it.

Don't pay much attention to the "6.25" as it is a day old guessitimate; you could have more or less, and it is very local, rain-wise during this past week and ongoing, imo.

As for your concern on 3", we had that this past Wednesday afternoon in an hour.

One needs to know/have a sense of 'where they are.
GL, mD

Last edited by motordavid; 10-02-2015 at 07:43 PM..

Old 10-02-2015, 08:29 PM

492 posts, read 405,466 times
We in SoCal would be happy to receive some of your unwanted water.

Old 10-03-2015, 01:14 AM

14,268 posts, read 18,923,606 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by motordavid View Post
^ Look again at the map, (it actually left out a county or two):
Look at lower left area of NC, where the 6.25 covers part of it. Macon County is the county directly below the 'anvil' base of Swain County above it.

Don't pay much attention to the "6.25" as it is a day old guessitimate; you could have more or less, and it is very local, rain-wise during this past week and ongoing, imo.

As for your concern on 3", we had that this past Wednesday afternoon in an hour.

One needs to know/have a sense of 'where they are.
GL, mD
Thanks. I know where I am, but I couldn't figure out exactly where from that map. I'm not concerned at all about 3 inches of rain..just reporting. After all, I lived in Florida for a long time.

Old 10-03-2015, 05:14 AM

1,998 posts, read 4,606,032 times
new map released this morning:

Old 10-03-2015, 05:15 AM

4,639 posts, read 6,376,202 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by drfranklin View Post
new map just released this morning:
Thanks for posting that. It looks much better for western NC. I hope everyone stays safe!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina