Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina
 [Register]
Western North Carolina The Mountain Region including Asheville
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-30-2015, 10:50 PM

10,101 posts, read 7,771,136 times

Advertisements

Looking to stay around the Nantahala area. What is Fontana Lake like? Anyone knows how it compares to Jocassee? All I've done is take the ride from Bryson City to Nantahala. Is there a particular area around there that is recommended to stay?

We will probably be looking for a cabin. Any recommendations of where to stay that isn't TOO costly? Maybe 2-3 bedroom.

Not really looking to kayak and not sure what time of the year it would be but just doing some research now to prepare.

Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-31-2015, 12:04 PM

13,373 posts, read 27,049,417 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by diddlydudette View Post
What is Fontana Lake like? Anyone knows how it compares to Jocassee?
Just from the pictures online, you can see that Jocassee has lots of rocks in the lake-bed. Fontana has red soil in the lake-bed. Are you interested in fishing or swimming?

Since you did not give a budget, I'll mention a couple places in the $200-300+ per night range. This place looks to have a variety of cabins: http://nantahalariver.com/ Maybe try this place also: http://www.cherokeemountaincabins.com/cherokee.html

We had a low budget, and have only stayed at the Rattler Ford Campground. We enjoyed the summer weather in June and fishing from the streams.

Last edited by goldenage1; 10-31-2015 at 12:13 PM..

Old 10-31-2015, 12:11 PM

1,295 posts, read 1,037,707 times
If you don't mind staying ~20 or so miles from Nantahala, give this a look...

HISTORIC TAPOCO LODGE | 828.498.2800 | Tapoco Lodge Resort on the Cheoah River located in the Smoky Mountains of western North Carolina, near Robbinsville, North Carolina on US129 just 2 miles south of the famous Tail of the Dragon at Deals Gap

My GF and I stayed there just a month or so ago and loved it! And to be honest, I have stayed in FAR worse places that cost a hell of a lot more money..

Old 10-31-2015, 01:23 PM

47 posts, read 47,333 times
I don't have a comparison of Jocassee, but am familiar with Fontana, as Bryson City area is where we usually vacation. We rent from a Property Management Company that has many cabins in that area and have always been superior. Check out their website and you'll get a feel for their cabins. The prices range, so you should find something you like, and an online calendar will give you the available dates. All cabins are maintained very well!

Great Smokys Cabin Rentals Bryson City and Cherokee Luxury Rental Cabins

As for Fontana, this lake is my favorite!! It's unique in that there isn't much development along the banks, so it appears more private than most. The banks are part of the Natahala forest and the Smokies, so all you see for miles is beautiful scenery...with the exception of specific areas where houseboats are tethered to the banks, as this is the only development allowed.

The Fontana Village is a resort close by that you might want to check out too.

By the way, we usually rent a pontoon boat when we go, so if you'd be interested in it, Alarka Marina is a recommend. There's another Marina but we've only used Alarka due to their location and service. Keep in mind that they lower the lake levels periodically so call in advance.

There is so much to do in close proximity to the Bryson City area which is why we keep going back...Enjoy!

Old 10-31-2015, 07:28 PM

3,767 posts, read 4,530,699 times
We stayed at Lakeview at Fontana considered a mountain Inn/Rustic Spa.
It was quaint but definitely rustic. They offered yoga and massages, nice ambience. They had French press coffee and light breakfast and wine and cheese in the afternoon.

Nothing fancy and they have pet friendly rooms if you need them.
It was also pretty close to the Nantahala outdoor center.
http://www.lakeviewatfontana.com/

We also stayed at a really nice cabin right across the street from the outdoor center up a dirt road. I can't remember the name but found it on the internet but it was more expensive.

Old 10-31-2015, 07:58 PM

14,268 posts, read 18,938,206 times
I'm in Franklin, about 45 miles from Fontana Lake and can't personally recommend any places to stay. However, I don't know your budget, so I'll post this.

if you want 2 or 3 bedrooms and can't spend $200+ a night, you should be able to find a privately owned cabin on the VRBO website, but it depends on the services you desire.

I don't know if this helps, but I thought I'd post because that's how I found some very nice places to stay in WNC. Enter Robbinsville, Almond, Cherokee, etc., and you'll find several cabins listed for $800 or less a week. Good luck!

Old 11-01-2015, 08:51 AM

55 posts, read 62,660 times
We stayed at Eagle's Nest cabin on VRBO several years ago. It is located on a road right across from the Natahala outfitter store on the river. Great cabin with an unbelievable view. Our family loved this cabin.

http://www.vrbo.com/234739

Old 11-01-2015, 03:44 PM

3,767 posts, read 4,530,699 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dnicola View Post
We stayed at Eagle's Nest cabin on VRBO several years ago. It is located on a road right across from the Natahala outfitter store on the river. Great cabin with an unbelievable view. Our family loved this cabin.

http://www.vrbo.com/234739
Wow! What a coincidence. This is the cabin I was speaking of that we too stayed in across from Nantahala. The photos bring back memories!

Old 11-03-2015, 05:24 AM

55 posts, read 62,660 times
Default Eagle's Nest

I can't believe we each stayed in the same cabin. It was a great location with a fabulous view.

Old 11-04-2015, 08:29 PM

1,497 posts, read 3,353,327 times
I was up there for a few days last week , and they are lowering the lake. Currently , it is about 40'below full , so Alarka , Prince , and Almond boat docks will likely close for the season soon , if not already. Fontana Marina remains open year round , and rents pontoons for $75 hourly/$175 for 4 hours , and $350 daily. I haven't been to Jocassee yet , so can't comment. I stayed in Franklin , and stopped at Nantahala Lake Sunday morning , which is being lowered as well , but not as much as the former. The leaves are past peak , but not diminished yet.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina