Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina
 [Register]
Western North Carolina The Mountain Region including Asheville
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-08-2008, 12:21 PM

758 posts, read 2,288,001 times

Advertisements

Okay, one more request: What can you tell us about locating anywhere between the Asheville Mall and Black Mountain? We're thinking traffic would be much lighter there, I work in Black Mountain, and it would be a quick trip to Asheville or BM while not being much farther to UNCA. Is my head screwed on right?

Which communities or areas do you know to recommend that are east of Asheville?

Jan
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-08-2008, 02:12 PM

17,535 posts, read 39,141,385 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the Parkies View Post
Okay, one more request: What can you tell us about locating anywhere between the Asheville Mall and Black Mountain? We're thinking traffic would be much lighter there, I work in Black Mountain, and it would be a quick trip to Asheville or BM while not being much farther to UNCA. Is my head screwed on right?

Which communities or areas do you know to recommend that are east of Asheville?

Jan
Hey Jan - our own house is in Kenilworth Forest, which is a cute little neighborhood tucked away behind the Asheville Mall. On the other side is Kenilworth; both neighborhoods border Lake Kenilworth. These neighborhoods are only two miles to downtown, 3 or 4 miles to UNCA and 15 minutes to Black Mountain - one reason we purchased there. Going further east you have Beverly Hills (another older residential area) and Haw Creek - nice area many have larger lots and nice views here. East side is great, because prices are lower, traffic is easy. We have loved it.

Happy hunting!

Old 02-08-2008, 05:20 PM

Thanks, Gypsy! We'll definitely check all of those out. It seems so obvious now that we should locate east of Asheville. Man, this mental process is interesting!

I've also had a huge insight today about how I've changed since I left San Diego just last October. I was a "city girl" in CA and unwittingly brought my city mentality with me here. For as long as I can remember, I've looked forward to living in some big, fancy development like Carriage Park or The Ramble, with ultra-modern everything and a fancy clubhouse.

Today I realized I'm a mountain girl at heart, and I want a mountain home! No gates, no HOAs, no granite/corian/slate, no fake gas fireplace. I want a real, old-fashioned wood-burning fireplace. I want to be surrounded by mature trees and lots of wildlife. And I want long-distance views of those eternal mountains. Which means I'll probably buy an older home and renovate whatever needs renovating--and that's fine. Old and traditional is warm and cozy and genuine compared to the plastic new housing on balded mud flats that we've been looking at.

Funny how long it took for me to realize that coming home to the mountains will be a lot more meaningful and fun if I leave the city girl behind!! I LOVE THE NEW ME!!! Bill does, too. He says I just saved him a few hundred thousand dollars--LOL!

Ain't life fun!

Jan

Old 02-08-2008, 07:05 PM

92 posts, read 480,062 times
Well, if he thinks you saved hime a few hundred thousand, he obviously hasn't ever experienced the joy of renovation......

Just kidding! Will be fun to hear about what you find.

Old 02-08-2008, 07:09 PM

LOL! Good point R.R.!

Old 02-09-2008, 09:17 PM

1,912 posts, read 3,225,520 times
Jan I am sending you a PM!!!!!! I know EXACTLY how you feel! Annie

Old 02-09-2008, 10:43 PM

Thanks so much, Annie!

May I ask those of you in the know: Is there anything illegal or unethical about working with two or three realtors at once in the process of finding a house to buy??? We would not of course be signing any commitment papers with any of them. We would simply work hard with each one to the degree that he/she is able (has time), and whoever finds us the house we want to buy would get the contract. Our timeframe is going to be so short that I'm thinking we need to involve more than one realtor, beginning immediately. We have been told there is nothing wrong with this approach. What do you know about this, please?

We really appreciate your help, too! Anyone else have any suggestions about where we should look EAST of Asheville?? We'll be driving around and working with realtors full-time starting on Monday, so please tell us which areas you think we should explore. We're looking for one or one-and-a-half levels, mountain vistas, a low-maintenance acre or so, wood-burning fireplace, wildlife, mature trees, quick and easy access to both Asheville and Black Mountain. Since we're no longer looking at high-end developments, probably any price point will work for us.

Thanks!!

Jan

Old 02-09-2008, 10:54 PM

Darn. I did it again. After my last post, I realized I should have started a new thread, which I'll do now. Sorry, moderators!

Jan

Old 02-09-2008, 11:19 PM

1,049 posts, read 4,008,208 times
Quote:
. But we want to buy now to get on with our lives. We've been destabilized and stressed out by all this house selling and moving and now buying for almost a year and a half! And if we bought a house tomorrow, we're looking at up to another year to furnish and decorate and make the house a home. We are weary of walking on shifting sands while juggling balls...
I know how you feel, I've been parallel to your timelines, I've been living in an RV, Hotels and in 4 different states now for a year with my family living in another. I've been "homeless", not having a permanent address has been terrible. I'm finally in the same state as the wife and son, but in different cities. It'll be another 5 months before my son gets out of school and the wife's lease on her apartment is over, they are in Johnson City I'm in Chattanooga.

I'm thinking that I would also like to settle down and get on with life, I'm almost ready to think about buying a home myself, just to make the world stop spinning

If buying a home makes you sane, go for it, I've lost my mind, so I'll be glad to see you enjoy yourself.

Take care, (can you tell it's late, bit of a rambling post)

Tony

Old 02-09-2008, 11:44 PM

45,217 posts, read 100,739,056 times
Quote:
Thanks so much, Annie!

May I ask those of you in the know: Is there anything illegal or unethical about working with two or three realtors at once in the process of finding a house to buy??? We would not of course be signing any commitment papers with any of them. We would simply work hard with each one to the degree that he/she is able (has time), and whoever finds us the house we want to buy would get the contract. Our timeframe is going to be so short that I'm thinking we need to involve more than one realtor, beginning immediately. We have been told there is nothing wrong with this approach. What do you know about this, please?

We really appreciate your help, too! Anyone else have any suggestions about where we should look EAST of Asheville?? We'll be driving around and working with realtors full-time starting on Monday, so please tell us which areas you think we should explore. We're looking for one or one-and-a-half levels, mountain vistas, a low-maintenance acre or so, wood-burning fireplace, wildlife, mature trees, quick and easy access to both Asheville and Black Mountain. Since we're no longer looking at high-end developments, probably any price point will work for us.

Thanks!!

Jan

Jan, it is not illegal or unethical to work with several agents at once - it's called non-exclusive agency - you only have to sign with the one who brings you to the property you are ready to make an offer on, just prior to making the offer
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina