Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina
 [Register]
Western North Carolina The Mountain Region including Asheville
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-25-2016, 03:22 PM

2,424 posts, read 3,540,557 times

Advertisements

"These large-scale chicken farms are popping up near residential areas in western North Carolina, especially in Surry County. That worries residents Terry and Mary Marshall. "Your throat starts to hurt — you know you are in it," Terry says. "It smells like a lot of ammonia, and sometimes, just dead rotting meat."

When A Chicken Farm Moves Next Door, Odor May Not Be The Only Problem : The Salt : NPR

No state regulations on these bad boys.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-25-2016, 05:13 PM

4,639 posts, read 6,388,130 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlhm5 View Post
"These large-scale chicken farms are popping up near residential areas in western North Carolina, especially in Surry County. That worries residents Terry and Mary Marshall. "Your throat starts to hurt — you know you are in it," Terry says. "It smells like a lot of ammonia, and sometimes, just dead rotting meat."

When A Chicken Farm Moves Next Door, Odor May Not Be The Only Problem : The Salt : NPR

No state regulations on these bad boys.
Most people on this board don't consider Hickory to be in western NC, so they certainly don't consider Surry County to be western. Plus, once you go up the Blue Ridge escarpment, its too cold for poultry farms.

"No state regulations on these bad boys." Not true. Is there enough state regulation? Maybe not, but its not correct to say there is none.

Last edited by carolinadawg2; 01-25-2016 at 06:42 PM..

Old 01-25-2016, 05:32 PM

2,424 posts, read 3,540,557 times
http://youtu.be/YE9l94b3x9U

Old 01-25-2016, 05:44 PM

4,218 posts, read 8,537,420 times
The poultry farms in Surry County that have been all over the news in recent months are definitely in the Triad region, not WNC.

Old 01-27-2016, 06:53 AM

1,199 posts, read 1,554,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carolinadawg2 View Post
Most people on this board don't consider Hickory to be in western NC,
That's news to a lot of people. I wonder why the majority of the posts asking about Hickory are in the city-data?

Old 01-27-2016, 07:17 AM

4,639 posts, read 6,388,130 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollywood View Post
That's news to a lot of people. I wonder why the majority of the posts asking about Hickory are in the city-data?
Sorry, not understanding your post. All posts are "in the city-data" (sic).

My point is, many frequent and long term posters have repeatedly stated that they don't consider Hickry to be part of western NC. I'm not referring to the posters who chose the Western NC Board to post their questions.

Examples:

Visiting Hickory the 1st week of July 2015 for possible retirement location

"Hickory is not truly Western NC, check the map."

Where to rent near Hickory, NC

"Hickory is neither considered in either western North Carolina or Charlotte regions...For inquiries in regards to Hickory, the "North Carolina" forum may get better exposure."

And I'm just pointing out what other posters have said, so don't come back at me telling me I'm wrong.

Old 01-27-2016, 07:25 AM

1,324 posts, read 2,512,926 times
The article said Surrey County in Western NC but I've never thought of that area as WNC. So what are the boundaries of where WNC starts? On the subject of chicken farms...when we lived in Oregon there was one down the road and when you were close it was awful! Doesn't mix well with residential but depends on who was there first.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina