Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina
 [Register]
Western North Carolina The Mountain Region including Asheville
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-06-2016, 09:41 AM

2,061 posts, read 1,958,528 times

Advertisements

[quote=I LOVE NORTH CAROLINA;42905851]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Above Average Bear View Post
Hadn't taken a written test since I first received my NYS license. And since rules Of the road do not exist in NYC I totally forgot most of them. Except the one where green means go fast, yellow means go faster, and red means go even faster. Lol. So, almost failed the written test.[/QUOTe

I'm moving there in a few months, will I have to take written test to get my drivers license????
take the vision and sign test--easy peasy!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-07-2016, 06:58 AM

13,373 posts, read 27,044,128 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by funisart View Post
take the vision and sign test--easy peasy!!
Be sure memorize the shapes of the signs, eg hexagons, diamonds, squares, etc. I almost flunked that part.

Old 02-23-2016, 08:56 AM

334 posts, read 626,075 times
We are going to be doing the same thing. There will be a Publix in Hendersonville very soon, and that's your resource for organic and grain fed from a Grocery. Something you may not know is you are in the heart of farm and orchard country in Henderonville. The area has a couple places out 64( ish) that sell chicken, beef, and ham right off their farm. You can spend the day there in Berry season. Wish I could remember the name for you...
Rumbling Bald on Lake Lure is a beautiful community with well priced homes. It has golf, the lake, two pools, etc. There is an HOA fee but it's pretty fair. We can't live there because of health concerns( no hosps within a 15 min drive.) But if we didn't have that concern,we would have bought there LONG ago!
Also little towns out there like Chimney Rock, Bat Cave, Mill Springs. Tryon, Flat Rock. Ruth, Forrest Hill. so many great little places. Many right down I26 as well.
We are also looking just over the SC boarder in Landrum, Campobella, Boiling Springs, Lakes Blaylok and Bowden. The schools in SC are awful, but we don't have that worry any longer, and SC. gives tax breaks for residents, and over 65. Plus excellent medical care in Greenville, and UMSC is in many hosp too.

I would love someone on here to compare and contrast living in SC vs NC at the boarder, say between Greenville and Hendersonville, or between I26 and hwy 9.

Last edited by LPnerd; 02-23-2016 at 09:15 AM.. Reason: spelling

Old 02-23-2016, 11:08 AM

411 posts, read 614,672 times
"I'm moving there in a few months, will I have to take written test to get my drivers license????

Don't let the written test freak you out. I picked up the booklet at the DMV, studied it while I waited in line, and passed easily.

Old 02-23-2016, 08:26 PM

1,324 posts, read 2,511,249 times
[quote=mlhm5;42863793]There are two areas of the NC mountains, the area around Boone and the area around Asheville. The Boone area is closer to world class health care at Wake in Winston Salem, is closer to NC skiing, has ASU, is smaller than Asheville, and gets more Winter than Asheville.

If you are looking around Asheville, IMO, staying South as in Hendersonville/Flat Rock is a good option. Most of the shopping in Asheville is South toward Hendersonville and Hendersonville has the best and most vibrant downtown of any of the towns surrounding Asheville as in Black Mountain, Waynesville (too far from anything IMO), Weaverville, Brevard, etc. (lots of empty storefronts, IMO)

I may have read this wrong but no empty store fronts in Weaverville, pretty active downtown area but not as big as Hendersonville but closer to Asheville.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina