Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina
 [Register]
Western North Carolina The Mountain Region including Asheville
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-20-2016, 09:13 PM

6,353 posts, read 11,594,235 times

Advertisements

I had a cool refreshing walk today - On the Appalachian trail at Newfound gap!

Mount Mitchell will be closer (and even cooler) for most of you. Time to take an elevation vacation - btw the rhododendrons are amazing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-20-2016, 09:45 PM

2,103 posts, read 4,472,221 times
We just got back from visiting family in Raleigh. I thought I was going to melt. Even at midnight when I was moving my DDs car seat to a different car I became drenched in sweat. Coming back here was fantastic. We took the dogs for a walk at the arboretum tonight and it was low 80s with a nice breeze.

Old 07-21-2016, 08:58 AM

61 posts, read 103,688 times
Mowed the yard yesterday evening, which is about 0.75 acres and half of that is a hill with a push mower. The temperature wasn't bad at all when I started at 6 or so was actually rather enjoyable. (sun went down behind the hill so I was in the shade)

I did grow up in Texas, so for me it hasn't really even approached getting hot yet. We made it up to the upper 80s a few times where I live in Mitchell County.

Old 07-21-2016, 10:39 AM

6,353 posts, read 11,594,235 times
I just remembered: you all have Mt Pisgah practically in your back yard. By the time you got there after work the temps should be quite pleasant. Plus you can take a dip at graveyard fields and be sure to cool off.

Old 07-21-2016, 04:57 PM

73 posts, read 120,279 times
Ok...now y'all are just rubbing my nose in it! Lol...I don't even go out to the porch to look at the temp anymore! So...we get some pretty spectacular thunderstorms here on a regular basis lots of lightning and big booming thunder. Only once have we had something struck in our yard. Blew the bark off the tree....shorted out a few things in the house....sounded like we'd been hit by a bomb but the fire ants living beneath the tree were not disturbed! Fire ants and palmetto bugs are tough! How are the storms in the 2000 to 3000 foot range?

Old 07-21-2016, 07:18 PM

3,444 posts, read 2,819,181 times
We're a bit higher than that at 4400 feet, but we have had some big thunderstorms over the last 3 weeks. Trees down and power out. Not really a big deal to lose power when the storms do blow through, our temps drop from the upper 70s to lower 80s down to the lower 60s, so it certainly doesn't get hot. We'll get a generator before the winter, I think, but this time of year it's not terrible to be without power for a few hours.

Old 07-21-2016, 07:24 PM

4,790 posts, read 10,613,723 times
Storms up here at almost 5,000 ft are frequent, powerful, severe and scary to me ...having been hit by lightning as a kid, it is difficult to 'get over' my reaction to lightning storms.

On a more temp related note, it will be interesting to see if this next few days gets us past/above the highest temp we have ever seen 'up here', of 79+ in the shade.

A/C is cranked, in all 3 zones, as it is muggy and warmish today, this eve, even at ~ 5,000 ft elevation.
GL, mD

Couple of storm pics from our deck, looking over Waynesville below us:

A storm rolling through the Waynesville valley, heading our way a couple days ago:

A lightning shot, admittedly just so-so, as I am usually hiding out during lightning storms:

Old 07-22-2016, 07:44 AM

643 posts, read 670,461 times
Gorgeous photos mD! That lightening shot is spectacular.You were hit as a child? How frightening! Explains a lot though ;-) We were watching the radar last night and it looked like you were getting hammered. Our power just came back on, out for the last hour. Doesn't help with salvaging the food, though - the refrig in our rental bit the dust last night. Cannot wait to be in our own house again and be in control, not relying on a management company to get this fixed/replaced.

Old 07-22-2016, 08:54 AM

73 posts, read 120,279 times
Fantastic photos! I certainly understand why storms alarm you....struck by lightning....WOW. It took years for me to sleep through a storm after riding out hurricane Hugo....if I had been hit by lightning I'd be cowering in a corner at the first clap of thunder!

Old 07-22-2016, 09:49 AM

1,912 posts, read 3,225,520 times
Wow MD you got a good one last nite. I love watching storms but I too am TERRIFIED of lightening. I turn off all the lights and watch. VERY hot here in Avery County this morning. I go to the barn and hang out with the horsies....the ac felt AMAZING when I came back in
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina