Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina
 [Register]
Western North Carolina The Mountain Region including Asheville
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-19-2016, 04:23 PM

12,626 posts, read 32,053,341 times

Advertisements

Are there any outdoor public swimming pools in Asheville?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-21-2016, 08:07 AM

75 posts, read 76,672 times
See
Asheville Parks http://www.ashevillenc.gov/Departmen...asheville.aspx

including Recreation Park

http://www.ashevillenc.gov/Portals/0...k_and_Pool.pdf

Buncombe County Parks and Recreation:
https://www.buncombecounty.org/Gover...s/Default.aspx

Also, some people join the Asheville JCC which has family memberships:

Pool & Aquatics

Old 06-21-2016, 08:45 PM

1,530 posts, read 3,879,943 times
I love a lot about the Asheville area, but we have a serious lack of pools. especially NICE pools that might feature a diving board or ... goodness .. maybe even a slide.

most public pools are just holes in the ground, surrounded by concrete and close between 5 and 6.

the nicest is probably the racquet club in south asheville. you are not allowed to lay on the lawn, but you at least can look at it

excuse my rant. born and raised in germany with an abundance of city pools, park like settings, olympic size lap pools, plenty of long slides, diving towers and boards at a price of 3 bucks per person for a day I wish we had something like this in our area.
i know, we have swimming holes and waterfalls - but you can't swim laps there, either swing by for just 30 minutes.

swimming laps outdoors is by far my favorite sport, but just not appealing here. good luck on your search!

Old 06-22-2016, 11:14 AM

4,218 posts, read 8,527,746 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by queenofbavaria View Post
I love a lot about the Asheville area, but we have a serious lack of pools. especially NICE pools that might feature a diving board or ... goodness .. maybe even a slide.

most public pools are just holes in the ground, surrounded by concrete and close between 5 and 6.

the nicest is probably the racquet club in south asheville. you are not allowed to lay on the lawn, but you at least can look at it

excuse my rant. born and raised in germany with an abundance of city pools, park like settings, olympic size lap pools, plenty of long slides, diving towers and boards at a price of 3 bucks per person for a day I wish we had something like this in our area.
i know, we have swimming holes and waterfalls - but you can't swim laps there, either swing by for just 30 minutes.

swimming laps outdoors is by far my favorite sport, but just not appealing here. good luck on your search!
Sadly, diving boards have probably fallen victim to our litigious society.

Old 06-23-2016, 07:53 PM

159 posts, read 183,510 times
Asheville's Jewish Community Center has a nice pool at their Charlotte St. location. We used to be members when our kids were small.

You don't have to be jewish to join.

Old 03-26-2017, 06:27 PM

I know I asked this last year but now I want to be more specific. I am aware of the public pools. Are there any subdivisions in or near West AVL that sell memberships to their pool?

Old 03-27-2017, 07:07 AM

395 posts, read 462,713 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beckycat View Post
I know I asked this last year but now I want to be more specific. I am aware of the public pools. Are there any subdivisions in or near West AVL that sell memberships to their pool?
I don't know of any subdivisions, but another idea is to look at motels that have pools and talk with them about possibly getting a summer pass (probably more likely with a privately owned motel rather than a chain). I used to do that in the summers with my children. The price was right, too. We didn't go all that often because where we lived we also had the choices of ocean beaches, lake beaches, as well as rivers, but a pool lends itself better to some things, such as teaching someone to swim. Anyway, just another option to consider.

Old 03-27-2017, 09:01 AM

11,113 posts, read 19,535,926 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beckycat View Post
Are there any outdoor public swimming pools in Asheville?
If you don't mind driving to Hendersonville, there is a very nice free public pool one block off Rt. 25 at Patton Park. I believe it is Olympic size, and has diving board(s) and marked lanes. Check with the Henderson County Parks and Recreation Dept. for hours and rules/regs.

Old 03-27-2017, 04:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lukasage View Post
I don't know of any subdivisions, but another idea is to look at motels that have pools and talk with them about possibly getting a summer pass (probably more likely with a privately owned motel rather than a chain). I used to do that in the summers with my children. The price was right, too. We didn't go all that often because where we lived we also had the choices of ocean beaches, lake beaches, as well as rivers, but a pool lends itself better to some things, such as teaching someone to swim. Anyway, just another option to consider.
Hmm, I didn't think about that. It is worth checking out. The reason I like a pool in a subdivision is that it's nice to meet people that go there on a regular basis.

Old 03-27-2017, 04:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuilterChick View Post
If you don't mind driving to Hendersonville, there is a very nice free public pool one block off Rt. 25 at Patton Park. I believe it is Olympic size, and has diving board(s) and marked lanes. Check with the Henderson County Parks and Recreation Dept. for hours and rules/regs.
Didn't know about that one. Thanks for letting me know.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina