Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina
 [Register]
Western North Carolina The Mountain Region including Asheville
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-13-2016, 07:17 AM

605 posts, read 1,259,567 times

Advertisements

Can someone tell me if this is correct?? My friend is building a home in a development outside of Asheville - she was told the price of the custom home plans is about 4-6% of the price of the home (the home will cost around $500,000 to build - and that does not include the 'land'. Does this seem correct???
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-13-2016, 07:21 AM

12,626 posts, read 32,065,841 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by missynancy View Post
Can someone tell me if this is correct?? My friend is building a home in a development outside of Asheville - she was told the price of the custom home plans is about 4-6% of the price of the home (the home will cost around $500,000 to build - and that does not include the 'land'. Does this seem correct???
It all depends on several factors. (size, style, etc) It seems very expensive to me.

Old 07-13-2016, 08:48 AM

11,113 posts, read 19,544,173 times
Quote:

If it is being built in a development, normally the lot is chosen and included in the final price of the home. Custom home plans are expensive; and remember, this is a half million dollar custom home; I rather doubt the architect and builder are being dishonest. Expensive homes are "expensive"; however, if you are not the buyer, your question is second-hand information and should be answered to the buyer directly by a custom builder in this area.

Old 07-13-2016, 09:28 AM

643 posts, read 670,461 times
If you are asking about architect fees, that would depend on the specific architect and their fee structure. Percentage of build is a very common fee structure but not the only one. 4% is the lowest I've heard for a build cost fee structure, but I'm no expert. Is that a licensed architect fee or a draftsman fee or a residential designer? Quite different although all can draw house plans. Some charge on a per sq ft basis, some on hourly work. There are different levels of drawings that can be offered as well. It can also vary greatly depending on how much involvement the homeowner wants from the architect after the plans are drawn. Do they want the architect to oversee the build? Some do, some don't.

Old 07-13-2016, 05:55 PM

2,424 posts, read 3,537,656 times
If the lot has a slope, it can sometimes cost $70K just to get to the first floor above grade. Architects charge a lot more than 4% of total cost, try 8-12% and depending on the builder and what specs are stated a starting price would be $175 and top out at more than $350 per sq. ft., depending on what is chosen for the baths, kitchen and floor coverings, whether it is 2x6 framing, how the house is insulated from the basement to the attic.

Far better off buying used and spending ~$50K to redo the flooring, baths, kitchen, HVAC, etc.

Old 07-16-2016, 12:13 PM

5,126 posts, read 7,410,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlhm5 View Post

Far better off buying used and spending ~$50K to redo the flooring, baths, kitchen, HVAC, etc.
Even though that's true, I get why people decide to build.

I've watched the real estate market where I live in North Georgia and the entire area around Asheville for years.

I rarely see inspiring houses on the market anywhere near Asheville. I don't understand why, but generally I see more taste in the houses where I am. This is a little strange because the towns are so much more developed around Asheville, you'd think it would be the other way around.

It seems like if the house is newer there, it's very generic and bland. If it is older, it needs a total remodel - not a small remodel. And let's not even talk about how much less you get for the money.

Asheville area has far more building and decor resources than we do, but you sure can't tell by the real estate listings. It's a mystery.

Old 07-17-2016, 07:47 AM

7 posts, read 8,656 times
Quote:
We're building in Weaverville right now and this doesn't seem too out of the ordinary. Allot of planned developments in the area require that you build through a small list of custom builders. When we were shopping around different communities around Asheville most of them seemed fit what your friend is telling you.

The home market around here is a bit odd to us (from Houston and Austin most recently). Allot of the pre-existing homes that were on the market that didn't require allot of work would tend to either be fairly small or above our 400k budget. We've done a 'fixer upper' home and while that worked out well for us in the end, we're about to start a family and don't want to have to deal with that. And with our desire for a planned community the list of options for new site builds without going above 500k the options we're limited. Still blows my mind how many communities around have lots that start at 150k plus then force you to build through a boutique (expensive) builder.

Old 07-17-2016, 08:06 PM

2,424 posts, read 3,537,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shooting Stars View Post

I've watched the real estate market where I live in North Georgia and the entire area around Asheville for years.

I rarely see inspiring houses on the market anywhere near Asheville. I don't understand why, but generally I see more taste in the houses where I am. This is a little strange because the towns are so much more developed around Asheville, you'd think it would be the other way around.

It seems like if the house is newer there, it's very generic and bland. If it is older, it needs a total remodel - not a small remodel. And let's not even talk about how much less you get for the money.

Asheville area has far more building and decor resources than we do, but you sure can't tell by the real estate listings. It's a mystery.
Cannot disagree with your observation.

Old 07-18-2016, 12:46 PM

5,126 posts, read 7,410,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlhm5 View Post

Cannot disagree with your observation.
And I wish my observation wasn't true!!!

Sometimes I think people must be sitting on all the good houses, with no plans to sell.

Old 07-18-2016, 02:13 PM

1,625 posts, read 1,356,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shooting Stars View Post

Wow, I thought it was just me. I'm glad I'm not alone in this perception.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina