Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina
 [Register]
Western North Carolina The Mountain Region including Asheville
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-27-2016, 09:56 AM

5 posts, read 12,638 times

Advertisements

I am hoping this group can help me out! I am considering a opportunity to move to the Asheville area for work. I currently live in Michigan and own a home but would be moving myself to the area. I am 28 y/o male. Housing prices seem extremely high overall for what I am looking for in Asheville. Renting is the best bet so I can get a lay of the land and see where I want to settle in. I am looking to spend around 2,000/month max on rent and need at least 2 bedrooms but prefer 3 for when people visit me, does anyone have suggestions on the best areas to look? I want a place where I can walk places and easy to meet people as well since I will be moving here alone. I will be downsizing from a newer 3b/2ba home so I want to try to prevent a small apartment if possible, as I may struggle to adapt then.

Thank you,
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-27-2016, 10:07 AM

21,020 posts, read 27,221,764 times
Where in Asheville will you be working? I am wondering if you want to locate somewhere that is within easy commute of your employment and within walking distance to retail, restaurants, etc.

Old 07-27-2016, 10:48 AM

11,113 posts, read 19,530,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by movingguy88 View Post
I am hoping this group can help me out! I am considering a opportunity to move to the Asheville area for work. I currently live in Michigan and own a home but would be moving myself to the area. I am 28 y/o male. Housing prices seem extremely high overall for what I am looking for in Asheville. Renting is the best bet so I can get a lay of the land and see where I want to settle in. I am looking to spend around 2,000/month max on rent and need at least 2 bedrooms but prefer 3 for when people visit me, does anyone have suggestions on the best areas to look? I want a place where I can walk places and easy to meet people as well since I will be moving here alone. I will be downsizing from a newer 3b/2ba home so I want to try to prevent a small apartment if possible, as I may struggle to adapt then.

Thank you,

If you are a single guy, I would suggest that you do rent for a year to get the 'lay of the land'. But you shouldn't have to spend $2K a month on a 2 BR apartment. $1300 maybe $1500 if you want modern amenities. That will give you valuable time to look around and take note of the various towns and rural areas where you may find what you want. Without knowing your price range, I can tell you that the real estate market here is extremely busy, and there is only an approx. 4% vacancy rate for apartments. Prices have gone up about 20% (imo) from last year. Average in the general Asheville area currently for a 3 BR home in a decent neighborhood will be a little under $400K in an average location. Hendersonville approx. $250 to $300K. I'd suggest you look in the outskirts of Asheville such as: Black Mountain, Fletcher, Arden, Weaverville, Leicester, Canton, Candler, and parts of West Asheville. Traffic is very heavy the closer you get to Asheville. I mean heavy. You can easily be within 1/2 hr. of Asheville and be very comfortable. If you actually want the downtown Asheville life, it will be pricey. Call a reputable property rental agency for finding a rental ... pls do not use Craigslist.

Check the local newspaper(s):

www.citizen-times.com

www.blueridgenow.com

and best wishes.

Old 07-27-2016, 11:18 AM

395 posts, read 462,474 times
I think for $2000/month, you should have no problem finding a 2 or 3 bedroom apartment pretty much in whatever area of Asheville you prefer.

Old 07-27-2016, 12:15 PM

5 posts, read 12,638 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carolina Knight View Post
Where in Asheville will you be working? I am wondering if you want to locate somewhere that is within easy commute of your employment and within walking distance to retail, restaurants, etc.
I will be about 15 miles west of Asheville.

Old 07-27-2016, 02:31 PM

6,799 posts, read 7,372,406 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by movingguy88 View Post

Thank you,
West Asheville.

Old 07-27-2016, 05:17 PM

12,626 posts, read 32,046,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BC1960 View Post
West Asheville.
I was going to say West Asheville as well.

Old 07-28-2016, 11:36 AM

1 posts, read 968 times
Default Apt in Asheville

Hello- I'd suggest a couple of apts which are in walking distance to downtown.
Glen Rock Apartments
The Lofts at South Slope
The Retreat at Hunt Hill
The Griffin Apartments

Otherwise, here are some other resources in general.

AshevilleRent.com
[url]www.parkwaycrossing-[/url]apts.com/
[URL="https://www.google.com/?gws_rd=ssl#"][/URL]
[URL="https://www.apartmentlist.com/nc/asheville"]https://www.apartmentlist.com/nc/[/URL]asheville

You will love Asheville, everyone does! Good Luck!
[URL="https://www.google.com/?gws_rd=ssl#"][/URL]

Old 08-14-2016, 05:03 PM

55 posts, read 64,798 times
A word of caution about using the rental websites. I did that when we moved here in 2015 and someone stole my identity to open up an account with Duke Energy at An apartment complex only to close it a month and a half later and didn't pay the bill. I found out about it when buying our house and having it hit my credit report. I was able to get it fixed before the house closed but it was a pain in the year end. I am a pretty savvy internet person so it took me by surprise.

Old 08-14-2016, 08:40 PM

8,103 posts, read 6,745,378 times
I advertise my vacant rentals on Craigslist. Just beware of scans. My last place drew a couple of them including a very nice gentleman from the Bahamas who wanted my bank account information so that he could pay me without even bothering to look at the house.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina