Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina
 [Register]
Western North Carolina The Mountain Region including Asheville
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-26-2016, 05:42 AM

11,113 posts, read 19,547,135 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Above Average Bear View Post
Just arrived home via I-40. I passed a women going under the speed limit in the left hand lane intently staring at her screen while driving. Unbelievable
Wow ! It IS believable -- and that is scary.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-26-2016, 06:23 AM

8,105 posts, read 6,754,341 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by QuilterChick View Post
Wow ! It IS believable -- and that is scary.
QC, the scary part is that I've seen this occuring on a weekly basis. Last week I saw an older man merging onto 240 while looking at his phone. I've gotten to the point that I am looking at who is behind me almost as much as who is in front of me.

Old 08-26-2016, 06:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Above Average Bear View Post
QC, the scary part is that I've seen this occuring on a weekly basis. Last week I saw an older man merging onto 240 while looking at his phone. I've gotten to the point that I am looking at who is behind me almost as much as who is in front of me.
Exactly. That is why I try to avoid I40 / I26 as much as possible. There are drivers who should not be on the road; add to that, more state troopers cruising the highways.

Another scary happening I've noticed more in the past few years are the aggressive and impatient drivers who pass on two lane roads over the double line on Rt. 64 between Brevard and Lake Lure. Or Rt. 191 from Hendersonville to Asheville. I'm usually 5 mph or so over the speed limit, but these dudes are booking it up to 70 or 80 mph to pass and putting their own and others' lives at risk. Local police need to have more speed traps; plus, we need more local police to begin with.

Old 08-26-2016, 07:08 AM

3,444 posts, read 2,820,038 times
One more thing to add. Why do people cross the double yellow lines on curves? Seriously, I have almost been hit head on several times by people who come around a blind curve on the wrong side of the road. Do they not teach this stuff in driving school anymore?

Old 08-26-2016, 07:38 AM

^^^ Yes, it is treacherous. I travel to Saluda on a weekly basis; and there is no good choice of a way to get there without an abundance of caution and nerves of steel. If I take Rt. 176 via Spartanburg Hwy. down thru all the curves thru the Green River area and thru Saluda to get to Howard Gap Rd., you meet every Dale Earnhardt wannabe on those curves. If you take I-26, you're nerves are frayed by 18 wheelers and tanker trucks passing each other -- even going over the Guice bridge where they have about 3 ft. between them. 55 mph speed limit for trucks on the downgrades, and most of them are doing 75/80; ****s-to-the-wall driving.

Again, where is the law?

Old 08-26-2016, 08:00 PM

8,105 posts, read 6,754,341 times
Agreed, Troopers, APD, and Sheriffs should all be out there doing more.

Old 08-31-2016, 12:45 PM

1,571 posts, read 2,969,405 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by QuilterChick View Post
^^^ Yes, it is treacherous. I travel to Saluda on a weekly basis; and there is no good choice of a way to get there without an abundance of caution and nerves of steel. If I take Rt. 176 via Spartanburg Hwy. down thru all the curves thru the Green River area and thru Saluda to get to Howard Gap Rd., you meet every Dale Earnhardt wannabe on those curves. If you take I-26, you're nerves are frayed by 18 wheelers and tanker trucks passing each other -- even going over the Guice bridge where they have about 3 ft. between them. 55 mph speed limit for trucks on the downgrades, and most of them are doing 75/80; ****s-to-the-wall driving.

Again, where is the law?

on curvy roads, it's all a matter of perspective, to a point. Most older people(and out of state people) find curves scary and they cant navigate them without DRASTICALLY reducing speed. So taking a curve at 30 or 35 might seem fast to them while someone who actually knows how to drive can easily and safely take the same curve at 50.

Old 08-31-2016, 01:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wcu25rs View Post
on curvy roads, it's all a matter of perspective, to a point. Most older people(and out of state people) find curves scary and they cant navigate them without DRASTICALLY reducing speed. So taking a curve at 30 or 35 might seem fast to them while someone who actually knows how to drive can easily and safely take the same curve at 50.

If the speed limit at the curve is 35 mph, you drop your speed to 35 mph. You may think you are an expert driver at 50 mph on a curve, but if another cowboy coming in the opposite direction has the same attitude, you could both wind up in the morgue. Or worse.

Old 08-31-2016, 01:13 PM

72 posts, read 83,003 times
Ugh, the curves. 19 drives me insane. I know it can be a scary road when you're first driving it, but come ON, 15MPH is just a bit overly cautious in my book when it's a beautiful sunny day.

Old 08-31-2016, 04:21 PM

2,598 posts, read 2,290,447 times
I constantly see open cab pick up trucks with teenagers and dogs sitting in the back of the truck. If the driver hits the brakes or gets in an accident, the people and pets would go flying out? I never saw this before I moved here. What about seat belts?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina