Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina
 [Register]
Western North Carolina The Mountain Region including Asheville
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-27-2006, 09:27 PM

116 posts, read 446,078 times

Advertisements

Hey everyone we need some help. I know this question has come up on other threads, but I looked through and could not find the information I needed. We are moving from Northern California to Western NC. We got a moving bid for 25,000 dollar from a relocation company. Hoping someone out there may have used a company that was a bit cheaper. My husbands company will be footing the bill, but wanted me to find out if I could find a better option. We would greatly appreciate any help or information anyone might have.
I never like wasting money and figured we could throw away all of our furniture and buy new for 25,000! Thanks for the help!!!!
~Duke101
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-27-2006, 10:50 PM

104 posts, read 458,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duke101 View Post
Hey everyone we need some help. I know this question has come up on other threads, but I looked through and could not find the information I needed. We are moving from Northern California to Western NC. We got a moving bid for 25,000 dollar from a relocation company. Hoping someone out there may have used a company that was a bit cheaper. My husbands company will be footing the bill, but wanted me to find out if I could find a better option. We would greatly appreciate any help or information anyone might have.
I never like wasting money and figured we could throw away all of our furniture and buy new for 25,000! Thanks for the help!!!!
~Duke101
Hi Duke101!
How did the relocation company come up with $25,000? Cause I gotta tell ya, $25,000 sounds WAY too high (unless your house is like 5,500 square feet & you have the moving company pack everything)!!! We moved from the Los Angeles area to the Charlotte area in March using the local Orange County United Van Lines. We paid about $13,000 to move a 2,400 sq. ft. house that ended up being 20,000 lbs. (500 boxes) -- a HUGE amount of boxes & weight for a residential house!! We packed everything ourselves. If we had wanted the moving company to pack us up, it would have been $4,000 more. The $13,000 also included an additional charge for a piano & an organ (about $170 each), $1,300 to crate & uncrate an oversized grandfather clock, and $1,000 to pick up our stuff from our storage unit. That's almost $3,000 in additional charges most people wouldn't have. And most people move WAY under 20,000 lbs!! And we STILL came in $12,000 under what you've been quoted!! Something doesn't sound right with your quote!!

Moving companies charge you by the distance, by the amount of pounds you're moving, & whether they are doing the packing or you are packing yourselves.

I'd suggest that your husband's company get some additional quotes. Or go ahead & buy all new stuff with that $25,000!!

Old 11-28-2006, 06:09 AM

1,242 posts, read 3,760,644 times
Some folks have had the idea that since they were moving to western NC where all of their furniture was made that it might be cheaper to buy new when they get here. NOT!! I agree with Vicki that the quote is out of line.
To what part of the state are you moving?

Old 11-28-2006, 07:43 AM

474 posts, read 2,192,737 times
The quote does seem on the high side; however, it is the practice of moving companies quoting for mountain areas to include the cost of "transfer trucks" to get the goods from the large van to a smaller van to be able to get up steep or narrow roads, to steep or narrow driveways. The terrain is well known to the long-distance movers. This could add a few more thousand dollars to their quote. Also, some gated or high end communities do not allow the large moving vans into the subdivision because of the weight of the van on their private roads. A good moving company will send out a "scout" to assess the road and driveway of the new home and adjust accordingly.

You may want to contact: www.movingcoach.com They provide a nice discount if you are referred by some of their approved Realtors; and they coordinate the entire move for you.

Old 11-28-2006, 08:34 AM

Thanks everyone!
I am going to call United Van Lines, Moving Coach and another someone PM me. I was only joking about selling all my furniture and buying new, however I do think I will be descriminating about what we will bring. My house is about 2,500 square feet and I am definatly not a pack rat so the quote was a bit scary. Love to hear from anyone else who might be able to recommend a good moving company.
Thanks again all,
~Duke101
~Duke

Old 11-28-2006, 01:58 PM

35 posts, read 97,943 times
Yes, I agree the quote you received is excessive. I would suggest obtaining multiple quotes, it certainly does not cost anything to obtain a quote.

However, FYI, I would suggest staying away from Wheaton Van Lines, Inc. aka Wheaton World Wide Moving, which is used by La Habra Relocations. Our friends had a terrible experience, resulting in a lawsuit. They also discovered there were multiple lawsuits against the company.

Old 11-28-2006, 04:51 PM

2,187 posts, read 8,008,315 times
Seems high. Dh's company moved us using United Van Lines. We have not been given the amount it cost yet. Be aware though that you pay taxes on that move so the lower the amount the better!

Old 11-28-2006, 06:35 PM

Thanks CAKD,
I was not aware of the fact that we were going to be taxed on the move initially but, we have worked it out so that we can take the write off for the move. Seems like they get you coming and going!
I got a couple of bids today and they seem to be about half of what the relocation company quoted us. Thank Goodness!! I so appreciate everyone's input.
Anyone have any idea's on pets? I have a 115 pound Golden Retriever! He is pretty sedate, but don't know what 4 days of travel would be like for him.
~Duke101

Old 11-28-2006, 10:45 PM

1,174 posts, read 6,944,334 times
Default Traveling fur person

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duke101 View Post
Anyone have any idea's on pets? I have a 115 pound Golden Retriever! He is pretty sedate, but don't know what 4 days of travel would be like for him.
~Duke101
Hi again,

We've traveled around this country with our big lab, prior to her demise, and now we travel with a rat terrier and a chihuahua. No matter what the flavor of dog, it's all a matter of thier temperment and experience.

If your fur person has had lots of traveling experience, it should be no problem. Just be sure to stop along the way at rest stops so the dog can relieve herself, stretch her legs, and smell the roses. It'll do you good too and she'll have a blast with the different smells across the country.

One other thing, be sure to bring enough water and a bowl. With an increased excitement level, she may drink a little more than usual. We just use the same bottled water that we use from the store.

If your fur person hasn't had much car experience, or only car experience is from the trips to the mean vet with the needle and greased thermometer , it might be challenging. Perhaps someone sitting in the back seat with the dog would help calm her down. I would bet that there will be an improvement with each succeeding day.

In our case, everybody travels well. The lab just went to sleep, the terrier enjoys the ride, looks out the window, or takes a nap, and the chihuahua just wants to sit on the passager's lap. They still like to get out every one to two hours, but so do we. There's only so long my back can hold out while driving down I40.

In any case you should do fine, unless your doggie has motion sickness, but you should know that already. If that's a problem, you vet can get you something to calm the dog, but I've always preferred to not resort to drugging the dog. Hopefully, you know your furry family member and you won't have to resort to something like that.

Good luck on your trip!

Old 11-29-2006, 12:09 PM

607 posts, read 2,431,327 times
You guys are scaring me. My husband and I are leaving San Diego, CA this up coming September, for the beautiful Raleigh area, and I have had quotes on movers, but all over the phone, they are quoting us about $7K, with us packing the box's. Do you think they are just trying to reel us in, and then they will slam us with a different cost. My house is four bedrooms and a den, a livingroom and a family room. 2800 sq. feet.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina