Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina
 [Register]
Western North Carolina The Mountain Region including Asheville
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-29-2006, 02:29 PM

2,187 posts, read 8,018,516 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duke101 View Post
Thanks CAKD,
I was not aware of the fact that we were going to be taxed on the move initially but, we have worked it out so that we can take the write off for the move. Seems like they get you coming and going!
I got a couple of bids today and they seem to be about half of what the relocation company quoted us. Thank Goodness!! I so appreciate everyone's input.
Anyone have any idea's on pets? I have a 115 pound Golden Retriever! He is pretty sedate, but don't know what 4 days of travel would be like for him.
~Duke101
No problem! I was shocked that the cost of the move was added on as income and therefore taxed. Had no clue that is how companies worked it! No clue on the dog....kids were difficult enough OUr neighbors had their dogs in the back of their SUV crated. They said they did well but they stopped every couple hours. I flew out ahead of Dh to find a home and it took him 4 days (8-10 hours) of solid driving with the 3 kids. He said it was pretty exhausting. I think having a pet would have sent him over the top! Good luck to you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-29-2006, 04:12 PM

676 posts, read 3,078,414 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lizardlips View Post
You guys are scaring me. My husband and I are leaving San Diego, CA this up coming September, for the beautiful Raleigh area, and I have had quotes on movers, but all over the phone, they are quoting us about $7K, with us packing the box's. Do you think they are just trying to reel us in, and then they will slam us with a different cost. My house is four bedrooms and a den, a livingroom and a family room. 2800 sq. feet.
I don't know if I would trust their quote. We moved from Santa Barbara to Winston-Salem this summer and we did everything ourselves as cheaply as possible by driving a mid-size Budget truck and it was around $3000. We left tons of stuff behind while living in a small apartment in Santa Barbara, brought just some small furniture, stayed in the cheapest hotels and towed one car. Unfortunately, teachers don't get fancy relocation packages and this was on our dime, so we cut every corner possible! I just can't imagine a company doing it for $7k and packing your stuff.

We also brought two dogs and a fish with us. It wasn't hard at all. We just put their beds up front in the truck with the fish between them in its bowl in a box, took the dogs out every time we needed gas and brought them into the hotel. It is too bad because our fish just died a few weeks ago, but made it across country!

Old 11-29-2006, 05:57 PM

38 posts, read 95,560 times
Default San Diego to Raliegh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lizardlips View Post
You guys are scaring me. My husband and I are leaving San Diego, CA this up coming September, for the beautiful Raleigh area, and I have had quotes on movers, but all over the phone, they are quoting us about $7K, with us packing the box's. Do you think they are just trying to reel us in, and then they will slam us with a different cost. My house is four bedrooms and a den, a livingroom and a family room. 2800 sq. feet.
I also got a similar quote for my 1800 sf Encinitas to Charlotte. I've decided to look into shipping the keepers and jetison the rest. Figured it probably wouldn't fit in new house anyway.

Old 11-29-2006, 06:03 PM

2,187 posts, read 8,018,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SurfSwamis View Post
I also got a similar quote for my 1800 sf Encinitas to Charlotte. I've decided to look into shipping the keepers and jetison the rest. Figured it probably wouldn't fit in new house anyway.
Almost everything we brought we have to get rid of. Homes back here are not wide open like they are in CA. All of our furniture (save for some of the bedroom stuff and our formal dining room) is too large for the rooms. Our home here is 3300 sq' and we had 3600 sq' in CA. Here we have 4 BR's and in CA 5 so the rooms sizes should equal out but they don't. Most of the homes we looked at and the one we bought have more closed off individual rooms so you may be wise in thinking much of your stuff won't work! It was a real bummer to have moved it all but luckily we didn't pay for the move but what is even worse is trying to get rid of it! All gorgeous stuff with no where to go!

Old 11-30-2006, 07:53 PM

116 posts, read 446,473 times
Thanks for all the good information!
I have to agree that I am considering greatly paring down what we bring. We moved about 6 years ago and stored our stuff in "pods". A year later when the "pods" were delivered our biggest thought was "why did we save all this stuff!"
I am a home stager by profession and know that furniture from a previous home does not always translate well to a new one. Thanks everyone for keeping me focused.....We of course will bring all of our critters, I could do with out a sofa but not my big sweet Joe (He's the 115 pound Golden Retriever!).
~Duke101
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina