Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina
 [Register]
Western North Carolina The Mountain Region including Asheville
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-15-2008, 07:36 AM

74 posts, read 255,764 times

Advertisements

We are looking to purchase 5+ acres within 30 minutes of Asheville. Anyone know of any nice areas where land isn't overpriced?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-15-2008, 07:00 PM

428 posts, read 1,630,393 times
I sent you a direct message as well. You may have some luck in Weaverville or a bit farther away, west side of Burnsville. Look at Mars Hill, Marshall and Leicester too.

Old 06-17-2008, 03:22 PM

1 posts, read 4,133 times
Mozart, summer - can you send me info you find. I'm also interested in affordable acreage within 30 minutes of Asheville. Thanks, Jacob

Old 06-17-2008, 08:28 PM

1,398 posts, read 6,605,139 times
This might be related. Lately, in my armchair (for now) searches on the realtordotcom site, I'm seeing rather a few instances of exactly what we want, 2-4 acres, much older home that isn't tiny, under a half million, possible horse property, around Leicester. So what's wrong with it already? Difficult access? Stinky long-range updrafts from Canton? Cults? I humbly request this enlightenment from our much valued resident experts!

Old 06-17-2008, 11:02 PM

53 posts, read 307,393 times
I thiiink that Lei.. Liesc.. you know, out there.. is considered less desirable by some because it's a mostly rambling 'tween area-- inbetween a lot of places, but not really a town in its own right. There are beautiful locations for sure, I think (and don't quote me on this, I've only lived here two years!) many trailer parks and mobile homes as well, and it's not convenient to anywhere like some other out of the way locations are. I know that getting into west asheville/patton ave from the highway is a terror. That intersection just doesn't have a good time of day! Beyond that, I've been steered away by locals too, and not really too sure why but after a few trips down that highway, I decided to take people's word for it!

Old 06-18-2008, 08:53 AM

648 posts, read 2,979,664 times
To me, Leicester has no identity, no character, there's only one road in and out (and it dumps you out on Patton Ave, ugh), you have to go "into town" for almost everything, schools aren't great, poor highway access, etc.

But it is within 30 minutes of Asheville, and it is relatively inexpensive.

Old 06-18-2008, 11:21 AM

74 posts, read 255,764 times
What does everyone think of Burnsville?

Old 06-18-2008, 01:49 PM

45,218 posts, read 100,681,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by summer33ny View Post
What does everyone think of Burnsville?
Tiny, don't blink or you'll miss it

Seriously, it's a pretty area but just not very convenient to shopping or things you might need. Still, that might make it all the more attractive to some of us!

Old 06-18-2008, 06:31 PM

428 posts, read 1,630,393 times
I've been to Burnsville many times, and it is small, but it has a nice Ingles store, and Spruce Pine has the requisite Wal-Mart.

It has a nice little town square. There is a very upscale development called Mountain Air with a golf course, country club and airstrip. But it is extremely pricey, except for some condos which can be in the $300's.

Overall, west Burnsville is probably the more desirable area due to the 30 minutes or so to Asheville.

It isn't as convenient to a lot of shopping and fine dining, etc, but if you don't mind a 30-40 minute drive, no problem.

Teresa

Old 02-13-2009, 08:53 AM

108 posts, read 272,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fastfilm View Post
This might be related. Lately, in my armchair (for now) searches on the realtordotcom site, I'm seeing rather a few instances of exactly what we want, 2-4 acres, much older home that isn't tiny, under a half million, possible horse property, around Leicester. So what's wrong with it already? Difficult access? Stinky long-range updrafts from Canton? Cults? I humbly request this enlightenment from our much valued resident experts!
What's in Canton that cause the "stinking updrafts" ?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina