Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina
 [Register]
Western North Carolina The Mountain Region including Asheville
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-04-2017, 11:26 AM

118 posts, read 153,011 times

Advertisements

We are a married couple (37 and 40) with a six year old son. We both have colorful full sleeve tattoos and are a little unconventional. We currently live in Summerville, SC and are ready for a change and have been considering western North Carolina for some time. We're thinking about getting a small place with an acre or so of land in a place with decent schools. We like a lot of the small towns around Asheville. But we would like to be in a place where we might be able to make friends and not be judged too harshly for being "different." Our budget will be around $200-240k. Any suggestions?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-04-2017, 11:27 AM

6,799 posts, read 7,384,076 times
What will you do for employment?

Old 01-04-2017, 11:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BC1960 View Post
What will you do for employment?
Husband and I both are self employed and work online. So it is not an issue.

Old 01-04-2017, 11:36 AM

6,799 posts, read 7,384,076 times
I'd recommend Asheville itself, if you can find something in your price range. Otherwise, Black Mountain, Etowah or Weaverville might be good choices.

Old 01-04-2017, 01:43 PM

4,791 posts, read 10,613,723 times
No one will care about your tats...everyone I have come to know in western NC over the past 15 years is slightly to considerably 'unconventional'.

Quite live and let live out here in the satellite towns from Asheville in my experience.

Not in the RE biz, but that budget is tight, esp for something that is not a cabin or run down 'do over'.

Lots of good towns and areas within ~35 - 40 mins of A'ville: BM, Weaverville, H'ville, Canton, Clyde, Waynesville, Maggie Valley, Sylva, Burnsville, Mars Hill and on and on.

Hit GOOG Maps or GOOG Earth and make your own 35 - 40 mile radius map centered on Asheville: lots of towns and areas to consider. Any of us suggesting 'go here or go look there' is anecdotal and none of us know your situ or wants...

Working online does present a situ where a house on an acre in some of the towns above may or may not have big pipe like internet availability, as that access varies considerably, esp if not in a more 'suburban situ'.

A couple trips to western NC, after some serious on line looking at RE is in order, if any of the areas fit your needs...
GL, mD

Old 01-04-2017, 01:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by motordavid View Post
No one will care about your tats...everyone I have come to know in western NC over the past 15 years is slightly to considerably 'unconventional'.

Quite live and let live out here in the satellite towns from Asheville in my experience.

Not in the RE biz, but that budget is tight, esp for something that is not a cabin or run down 'do over'.

Lots of good towns and areas within ~35 - 40 mins of A'ville: BM, Weaverville, H'ville, Canton, Clyde, Waynesville, Maggie Valley, Sylva, Burnsville, Mars Hill and on and on.

Hit GOOG Maps or GOOG Earth and make your own 35 - 40 mile radius map centered on Asheville: lots of towns and areas to consider. Any of us suggesting 'go here or go look there' is anecdotal and none of us know your situ or wants...

Working online does present a situ where a house on an acre in some of the towns above may or may not have big pipe like internet availability, as that access varies considerably, esp if not in a more 'suburban situ'.

A couple trips to western NC, after some serious on line looking at RE is in order, if any of the areas fit your needs...
GL, mD
Yes, I do realize that is a tight budget with land. I have run across some places with less than an acre that fit though. We've been going up to WNC for years and I have been to most of the towns you have listed. I guess I am just trying to get a feel for where our budget might work out the best and, of course, where we might fit in the best. Black Mountain and Brevard have been among our favorites, but we noticed Waynesville seems to have a lot going on and we might have overlooked it as we only drove through once. We have our house up for sale and will need to narrow down the options soon.

Old 01-04-2017, 02:02 PM

I should mention we live in a master planned community currently with houses on top of eachother and we are mostly just looking for some space between neighbors, a place to park our camper, and more trees. 😊

Old 01-04-2017, 02:43 PM

4,791 posts, read 10,613,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anticloud View Post
...but we noticed Waynesville seems to have a lot going on and we might have overlooked it as we only drove through once. We have our house up for sale and will need to narrow down the options soon.

I live in/above Waynesville...
Not promoting or pumping the area, but I know it well.
If you roll into Western NC and want some local Waynesville info, let me know.
I hear you on the planned community situ.
GL, mD

The view from our deck at our Mtn home, 'above' Waynesville:

Old 01-04-2017, 02:54 PM

Just gorgeous! Thanks for sharing and for the info offer. 😊

Old 01-04-2017, 07:57 PM

1,751 posts, read 1,350,980 times
Omg. For that I'd consider the drive from Waynesville. Now I have to visit. See what getting about would be like.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina