Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina
 [Register]
Western North Carolina The Mountain Region including Asheville
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-05-2008, 11:07 AM

3 posts, read 26,166 times

Advertisements

Hello,

We have lived here in Rutherford county for a little over a year now. We moved from LI, NY and it was the best thing we have ever done. I am so proud and glad to call it home. I couldn't have gotten here fast enough. I can't say enough wonderful things about the people and the area. Small town charm and then some!!!

Anyway, I have 4 young children, and I am in a search for some great swimming holes in the county.
I can even go towards shelby area, or tryon area too. State parks, or hidden gems welcome
We have found Lake James, which seems great! Anything else?
I really wish Lake Lure didnt stop their annual membership! I live close to that area. THat was one of the reasons we moved to my area, was for access to the lake, now thats gone! Unless for my family size we pay 40$ to get in!!
My kids love water (I lived on LI after all) Public pools arent great with too many little ones...I will have a new walker by mid summer, so it's too much to have to watch a new walker and 3 in the water. I need something we can wade in and out of
Thank you for all your help!!

Jennifer
Homeschooling mama to my home waterbirthed babies
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-05-2008, 02:50 PM

242 posts, read 1,018,228 times
Hopefully I am allowed to post this. Was just looking at it yesterday. Hope it helps.

Sliding Rock, Mountain Swimming Holes in North Carolina

Old 03-05-2008, 03:21 PM

45,218 posts, read 100,694,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by willbo1 View Post
Hopefully I am allowed to post this. Was just looking at it yesterday. Hope it helps.

Sliding Rock, Mountain Swimming Holes in North Carolina
I actually thought of posting this myself - but with such young children it's really not for her. The water is deep in spots and the rocks are very slick. Don't miss it with older kids though!

For our op, your best bet with such young ones that I know of is Lake James State Park. They have such a nice rocked off swimming area with a lifeguard that you'd be safer there. Plus, you can't beat the FANTASTIC view of Tablerock in the background

Old 03-05-2008, 05:03 PM

1,242 posts, read 3,759,299 times
This is a gorgeous area just a bit east of Lake James.
Wilson Creek Wilderness Area

Old 03-05-2008, 06:50 PM

168 posts, read 691,337 times
What age is appropriate for Sliding Rock?

Old 03-05-2008, 08:40 PM

16,294 posts, read 28,521,263 times
And keep in mind that this is a mountain stream, and it is cold cold water, even in the middle of August. Typically you have to get out of the water at the bottom of the slide to breath.

Don't wear normal swimwear, as the rock will wear the butt out if it very quickly, you want some old cutoff's.

For age I would say 10 -12 and a swimmer is sensible, though I'm sure you will see younger kids.

Old 03-06-2008, 07:56 AM

168 posts, read 691,337 times
Thanks A-N...that's about the age I was thinking too...I think we'll find something a little more tame until my kids are old enough.

Old 03-06-2008, 05:51 PM

3 posts, read 26,166 times
Thank you for the replies so far! Yes, I did know of sliding rock, but need to wait a few years Looks like so much fun though!
I will check out Wilson creek area too! We were at lake James, and it looks like fun!

Keep em coming!

I love checking out

Jennifer
Homeschooling mama to my home waterbirthed babies

Old 03-29-2008, 09:37 AM

62 posts, read 322,042 times
You might try what some of the locals call 150 bridge. It is in Boiling Springs - a little park on US Hwy 150 right at the river (thus they call it the 150 bridge). Has some trails, a small beach area, folks take floats and float a little get back out and walk back up, bathrooms and changing area.
Also, the green river in polk county - there is a campground that you can "tube" the river for 1 to 4 hours depending on your choice. It is a gentle and scenic ride.
For a day trip or even overnite camping - Lake Keowee in SC is a great retreat - good for swimming, camping, fishing, and boating. Good luck and have fun.

Old 03-29-2008, 11:34 AM

22,974 posts, read 65,501,703 times
Here is a great resource for swimming holes

SwimmingHoles.info North Carolina Swimming Holes and Hot Springs rivers creek springs falls hiking camping outdoors

Last edited by SunnyKayak; 04-05-2017 at 09:16 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina