Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina
 [Register]
Western North Carolina The Mountain Region including Asheville
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-01-2017, 01:04 PM

126 posts, read 138,124 times

Advertisements

So my wife declined a job offer from Clemson U in SC for several reasons but mostly because we have decided we really want to relocate this summer to NC somewhere between or around Asheville and Hendersonville. We are familiar with the area and want to be in/very near the mountains for mountain biking and hiking. So since that is settled, here is the issue:

I can work in either Asheville or Hendersonville areas and will secure full time work in healthcare. She also wants full time work but may not be able to get it at first in higher education. She can adjunct teach at A-B Tech (Asheville) or Blue Ridge Community College (Flat Rock) until a good, full time opportunity opens up at either school.

So being that we are not sure where the opportunity will come, what is the best location to rent/buy to be in good commute distance for either location? For example we don't want to be living in Hendersonville if a position opens in Asheville for her, etc. I know from my other thread that would be a bad daily commute.

The other requirement is we want a good public high school for our 2 kids (currently in junior high) so the location is important for this consideration as well.

Where would you locals recommend we check out given this particular situation? We don't want to pull our kids out of a school and locally relocate again once we get settled so we are trying to get it right the first time

I appreciate everyone's thoughts and advice.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-01-2017, 01:24 PM

1,751 posts, read 1,350,549 times
I can't speak to the schools, and in my book (if I had school-aged children), that would trump a commute. For now, perhaps, rent something in between A'ville and H'ville and learn what the people there know. A temporary place to have your own boots on the ground to gather real information. You say you want to move in the summer, so a short-term rental that happens over the summer months (with the kids out of school) might be helpful. Or maybe even one of you go ahead first to scout out the place...living there and learning while the other stays puts with the kids for a while to get your ducks in a row? Many have done this, though I'm sure it's a strain.

Good luck.

Old 04-01-2017, 06:20 PM

12,626 posts, read 32,065,841 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crusinsusan View Post
I can't speak to the schools, and in my book (if I had school-aged children), that would trump a commute. For now, perhaps, rent something in between A'ville and H'ville and learn what the people there know. A temporary place to have your own boots on the ground to gather real information. You say you want to move in the summer, so a short-term rental that happens over the summer months (with the kids out of school) might be helpful. Or maybe even one of you go ahead first to scout out the place...living there and learning while the other stays puts with the kids for a while to get your ducks in a row? Many have done this, though I'm sure it's a strain.

Good luck.
This is good advice. I think, even if you only have a couple months before the kids get back to school, rent short term. It so much better when you can see it for yourself. I am sure others can point you in the right direction as well.

Old 04-01-2017, 10:49 PM

2,103 posts, read 4,471,745 times
I don't know what kind of job your wife wants but it might be worth not ruling out furman university. The commute between flat rock/hville wouldn't be too bad. Very little traffic and a pretty drive.

Old 04-02-2017, 09:03 AM

126 posts, read 138,124 times
Thanks fir the input so far.

Yes a good high school is a priority for sure. I found this link that rates the area high schools so we are looking into them. Does anyone have high school kids that can chime in?

Best High Schools in Asheville, NC Area - Rankings

My wife has a specialized niche for community college administrative work (and/or English teaching if available) so that is where she wants/needs to be so A-B tech or Blue Ridge Community College is the focus for her.

Again just hoping to find the right location the first time given our circumstances. Not sure about short term rentals for the summer? Is that pretty common down there or are leases typically 1 year?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina