Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina
 [Register]
Western North Carolina The Mountain Region including Asheville
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-01-2017, 09:27 AM

8,105 posts, read 6,749,452 times

Advertisements

I own a house in North Asheville. It's occupied by a house sitter. I plan on moving into it in July. Two weeks ago someone smashed a glass door and very quickly went through it stealing $120 from my house sitter, who thank God wasn't home.

I have a friend who also lives in North Asheville who was burglarized a week after me.

I expected this sort of thing when I was living in NYC. My stress level has gone up a notch or 2. And I've started conceal carrying. It's a bit of a bummer. Has anyone else been burglarized in Asheville?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-01-2017, 11:00 AM

411 posts, read 614,372 times
I'm sorry that happened to you!

We haven't, but someone stoled from several cars in our neighborhood TWICE. Our friend saw a car matching the description of the suspects' car come down our driveway and turn around, so we put up aggressive signs suggesting we would shoot first and ask questions later.

Old 04-01-2017, 11:19 AM

4,788 posts, read 10,607,775 times
Sorry to read that AAB...

Otoh, I hope the idiot comes back for a 2nd try, after you move in. I suspect he will not find it so welcoming.
GL, mD

Old 04-01-2017, 12:57 PM

1,751 posts, read 1,349,492 times
I'm sorry to hear it. My home was never burglarized, but my car was, which isn't the same thing at all, I would think, in terms of the effect on an person. Though a remote property of mine was once used by hunters (who took nothing).

I've been thinking about this: https://www.getkuna.com/ , but adding stickers announcing the security cameras.

I hope you find a way to not let them rob you of your sense of safety. The feeling of violation will fade.

Old 04-01-2017, 01:07 PM

8,793 posts, read 8,160,703 times
People are burgled all over the country - there is nothing special about Ashville in that regard. Just be glad that no one was there to get hurt.

Do an evaluation of your property to see if anything made it especially tempting and move on. I know it is hard to get over the thought that someone violated your property, but IMO that is not a reason to decide to carry a gun. Especially if you'd never really thought about it before. As they say in Poker, you are spinning now and probably not making good decisions. If on the other hand, you have always (or recently always) thought about carrying, then carry on.

File a report with the police. I see no reason to report it to an insurance company, that can only make things worse for you. Good luck.

Old 04-01-2017, 01:16 PM

5,139 posts, read 8,847,189 times
I'd install the best security system you can afford and definitely report this to the police. Probably druggies since they only took cash. Thank goodness your house sitter wasn't home. I'd check with neighbors to see if they saw anybody around your place and alert them to the break in so they will be aware. I've been burgled a few times in various cities I lived it, it is very unnerving so whatever you're feeling is natural. Take care of yourself.

Old 04-01-2017, 02:28 PM

2,103 posts, read 4,470,570 times
You own on town mountain right? Was that the one robbed? If so I've heard from other people who live there that routinely have that problem. It's known they are expensive houses and most are easy access.even with a security system one friend has his house broken into 3-4 times before they gave up and left. Theives know it takes a while for a cop to get up the mountain.

Old 04-01-2017, 06:47 PM

3,444 posts, read 2,816,952 times
We just moved to the rural mountains after living smack dab in the middle of Raleigh. We had break ins all around us, including next door and catty corner behind us. We got a home security system (bought it and installed it ourselves and never used it unless we were out of town), we have (or had at the time, 4 dogs, plus any training dogs who lived with us for a period of time) dogs, and we put up signs from the company we bought our security system from. In 14 years in that house, we never had a break in, though my car was gone through once when my husband forgot to lock it. We never even locked our doors until about 7 years before we moved. I don't really worry about break ins up here. I am sorry that your house was broken into. It's frustrating that people think they have a right to whatever you own!

Old 04-02-2017, 06:05 PM

1,555 posts, read 2,519,669 times
Breakins are everywhere, lots of hungry people out there.
Buy a good safe for smaller valuables and important docs, and a rifle safe for larger items,
or a safe deposit box at your bank. All you can do is try and safeguard your possessions.
Alarm or no alarm, those creeps can kick in your door in a matter of a few seconds and
grab what they can.

Old 04-03-2017, 06:02 AM

1,912 posts, read 3,224,343 times
That's scary...sorry it happened
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina