Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-07-2008, 12:56 PM

6 posts, read 16,287 times

Advertisements

Just a warning to anyone living at Moderator Cut apartments in Brookhaven or anyone thinking of moving to Moderator Cut. I was burglarized TWICE in FIVE month span (September 2007 and January 2008) at Moderator Cut. That's right, twice in five months in Apartment 413 on the lower level. What did management do, nothing.....they took zero action. In fact the only action they have taken is against me. Currently they are now trying to ruin my credit because I moved out and refused to stay in my lease. Let me ask you....would you be able to sleep in an apartment that had been burglarized twice in five months or would you want to leave immediately......Hey that makes sense, force someone to stay in a situation where they have to sleep with a gun to feel safe at night. After all I only pay 960 dollars for rent, so it makes sense that the apartments have zero security.

My apartment was breached by breaking the windows and entering through a window and exiting through my door on both occasions. Both windows were shattered completely and then unlocked and opened.

Overall the breakdown is this, I have had over $5000 worth of items taken from my apartment in two seperate break-ins. Items included 55 inch flat screen tv, 30 dress shirts, 4 pairs of shoes, cash, passport, social security card, two watches, etc.... Not small time stuff here. Sure insurance covers it, but what is being done to keep it from happening to me again or someone else. Nothing....

When I asked for my lease to be resolved I was told by the Manager that the "Issues" that I had were not their fault, that they are not responsible for security and that I would have to buy out my lease for $3,000.00 if I wanted to leave.

Post then provided me with two options. Either pay up, or they send me to collections and ruin my credit...or remain in my apartment through the end of the lease and sleep with a gun in fear of someone breaking into my apartment again.

WHAT SHOULD I DO!!!!!

Last edited by Ultrarunner; 02-07-2008 at 02:15 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-07-2008, 01:24 PM

2,482 posts, read 8,731,867 times
Keep paying rent and call the police.

Old 02-07-2008, 01:25 PM

15,216 posts, read 30,551,675 times
Get a gun and blow the next burglar's brains out.

Oh sorry, Brookhaven's not in Texas, is it?

Old 02-07-2008, 01:59 PM

1,836 posts, read 3,182,615 times
how are they getting in through a window? are you ground level? fire escape?

a few hundred in window bars and a small monthly fee for a alarm system may have saved you thousands.

Old 02-07-2008, 02:39 PM

6 posts, read 16,287 times
Default no alarm system allowed

no alarm system allowed or modifications allowed. i tried after the first burglary. management said that we were not allowed to take these actions.

Old 02-07-2008, 02:50 PM

2,238 posts, read 9,755,083 times
There are alarm systems available that do not modify any structure in your home. Now...as to why you were burglarized twice in quick succession...simple. You had good stuff the first time around, and they waited for your insurance to pay up and for you to replace your goodies. Then they come take it a second time around.

As far as the apartment complex being in the right -- yeah, they probably are. How can they be 100% responsible for your security? They rent apartments, they're not a police department. If you have trouble, call the cops. Make friends with your neighbors so they know who is supposed to be at your place. Get a dog if it's allowed. Get an alarm system of the portable variety and just don't mention it to your complex manager.

Breaking your lease is not the answer unless you're prepared to pay to do it.

Old 02-07-2008, 03:33 PM

1,836 posts, read 3,182,615 times
get a motion sensor alarm system. cover the window and front door.

you'll sleep better.

Old 02-07-2008, 07:24 PM

2,071 posts, read 12,015,544 times
Get renters insurance. Very inexpensive.

Old 02-08-2008, 09:36 AM

1,368 posts, read 6,503,818 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paula Lynn View Post
Get renters insurance. Very inexpensive.
best advice so far. I think mine was like, $150 for a year or something?

Anyway, you can't break the lease. Sounds like your manager is a jerk, but you can't break the lease.

And burglar's will definitely return once they believe you've replaced stuff.

Old 02-08-2008, 04:24 PM

7,688 posts, read 29,148,496 times
It sounds like the OP has renter's insurance. But that usually carries a deductible so if you have to file a claim, especially for a theft which may not be for much more than the deductible, it's a real drain.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting