Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina
 [Register]
Western North Carolina The Mountain Region including Asheville
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-17-2017, 09:34 AM

57 posts, read 94,575 times

Advertisements

I was looking at a few older articles about playing chess in Pritchard Park. I would be traveling from SC but if I could find some good games of chess at the park, then it would be worth the trip. Does anyone know if the chess tables are still there and if so, what day would be best. I could come up Friday. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks
Quick reply to this message

Old 08-17-2017, 11:36 AM

395 posts, read 462,999 times
I, too, am a huge fan of chess! The tables are still there. I don't go into Asheville very often but last time we were there, there were a few games going at the tables. This was about a month ago so it is not likely much has changed. I would think that if you come in on a Friday, you should find some people to have a game with. No guarantees, of course.
Just curious, what is your rating?

Old 08-17-2017, 12:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lukasage View Post
I, too, am a huge fan of chess! The tables are still there. I don't go into Asheville very often but last time we were there, there were a few games going at the tables. This was about a month ago so it is not likely much has changed. I would think that if you come in on a Friday, you should find some people to have a game with. No guarantees, of course.
Just curious, what is your rating?
Thanks for your reply. Yeah, for me it's about an hour drive so it's not that big of a deal if I get there and no one is playing chess. But I figure there should be a good amount of people there on Friday so if I set up my board and clock someone is bound to come by and play.

I haven't played tournament chess for over 10 years but my last rating was about 1750.

How about you...what is your rating?

Old 08-18-2017, 08:47 AM

395 posts, read 462,999 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArizonaStateSunDevilFan View Post

How about you...what is your rating?
About 1625. Enjoy your games!

Old 08-18-2017, 09:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lukasage View Post
About 1625. Enjoy your games!
Thanks. I wish Greenville had outdoor chess tables like this in downtown.

Old 08-18-2017, 04:57 PM

4,218 posts, read 8,532,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArizonaStateSunDevilFan View Post
Thanks. I wish Greenville had outdoor chess tables like this in downtown.
Why don't you communicate with one or more of the organizations that promote downtown Greenville and make that suggestion to them?

Downtown Greenville | Greenville, SC - Official Website

Greenville Chamber of Commerce - Greenville Chamber of Commerce

Main Street Greenville

You might be taken very seriously if you offer to help raise money for chess tables, help install them, or offer to volunteer in some other way.

Old 08-18-2017, 09:22 PM

12,626 posts, read 32,071,214 times
I was just there tonight and yes there were people playing chess.

Old 08-21-2017, 10:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadpony View Post
Why don't you communicate with one or more of the organizations that promote downtown Greenville and make that suggestion to them?

Downtown Greenville | Greenville, SC - Official Website

Greenville Chamber of Commerce - Greenville Chamber of Commerce

Main Street Greenville

You might be taken very seriously if you offer to help raise money for chess tables, help install them, or offer to volunteer in some other way.
I was actually thinking about doing that. I've never done anything like this before so I would have to do some research in who to talk to and how it could get accomplished, etc...

Old 08-24-2017, 01:50 PM

UPDATE: I went there last Friday and they were indeed playing. They had their own boards, pieces and chess clocks. I played some games and had a lot of fun. A couple of people there were very good. Those who play there a lot, said they usually play everyday and it starts around 4:00pm.

Last edited by ArizonaStateSunDevilFan; 08-24-2017 at 03:10 PM.. Reason: picture insert
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina